Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 03:29 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,926,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yeah... that's how I was brought up saying it as a little kid, too.

Then, it morphed into WAD-er as I was going through school and now it's WAT-er.

Unless I'm around my parents, then it's WAR-der again because... they say it that way.
I never grew up My wife says WAR-der too. She’s a Cary Imp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 03:36 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I never grew up My wife says WAR-der too. She’s a Cary Imp.
I didn't grow up, either. Not really.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:09 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Y'all sure do know how to separate folks based on perceived class here.
It doesn't have anything to do with class. It has to do with linguistics. NC State has a great set of videos on the different accents in NC. There's the NC Piedmont, the Virginia Piedmont (aka Tidewater), the Southern Highlands (aka Mountain), the Coastal Plain, and the Outer Banks. https://languageandlife.org/dialectquiz/dialectquiz.php

Mine is mostly Coastal Plain + maybe a little Piedmont. But I can do a great mountain accent (my mom was from the mountains of SW Va) and a pretty good thick Piedmont accent too.

Here's a more recent article from a professor of linguistics at State:
https://news.ncsu.edu/2018/06/six-nc-expressions/

ETA: "Country" is just shorthand for saying somebody has a thick accent. It can also be a descriptor. I heard an author talking about his book about Beyoncé on NPR yesterday or the day before and he described her as being so "country" and from the big city of Houston. He talked about the "country" (and I don't mean country music) references she puts in her songs. Growing Up Black, Gay And Catholic In Texas, Memoirist Put His Faith In Beyoncé

Anyway, that's a little off topic, but when a Southerner says another Southerner sounds really "country" or has a "country" accent, we mean a thick, pronounced accent. It's someone who didn't try to lose it. Doesn't really have anything to do with where you live.

Last edited by poppydog; 07-25-2018 at 06:33 PM..

Old 07-25-2018, 06:16 PM

174 posts, read 194,261 times
The Northeast is a Big Thing... I doubt it will be like the inner rings of Greater New York or DC, or much of New Jersey. Parts of the Triangle remind me of Westchester and Fairfield Counties, though. Mixed, and getting MORE mixed, most likely ending up as a hybrid with the biz end more like Any Corporate Park, Anywhere, and socially tending more Tidewater-ish.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

Anyway, that's a little off topic, but when a Southerner says another Southerner sounds really "country" or has a "country" accent, we mean a thick, pronounced accent. It's someone who didn't try to lose it. Doesn't really have anything to do with where you live.
My accent is somewhere between a Spring Hope and a MomeyerI grew up on the fringe of Raleigh near Raleigh Country Club, but I had a lot of farming influence near Pilot where my roots run deep. I never tried to change my accent and never would.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:50 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,241,183 times
Heres how I would put it.

Compared to most of the state especially the more rural areas, and a majority of the South outside cities like Atlanta, Raleigh might as well be Massachusetts. Now actually compared to Massachusetts, Raleigh is definitely Southern. So it's both, or neither depending on how you personally look at it. But it's not solidly one or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I guess a lot of people, when they think Southern, think Rural. But Southern cities and Southern country are, and have been, very different. North Carolina has always had a different feel than, say, Mississippi or Alabama. More of a blend of South and Mid-Atlantic. That probably goes back to before the Civil War. The "Southerness" of Raleigh has shifted somewhat since the current "Northern influx/invasion" began (which I'd date to the opening of the IBM site and the relocation of workers from places like Kingston and Poughkeepsie), but I think most assimilate rather well.

I'd call it Southern Culture....on the Skids.
What you did there.......

...I see it

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 07-25-2018 at 09:08 PM..

Old 07-25-2018, 09:04 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,392,806 times
I’d say all the NC cities are completely southern.

That’s not a bad thing. For the suburbs, it’s even a compliment. No one does nice suburbs like the south.

But Raleigh definitely fits the Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, Orlando, Tampa, Houston, Nashville mold than DC, Philly, NYC, Boston mold. In nearly every single way. Southern isn’t a bad thing to be...

Old 07-25-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
My accent is somewhere between a Spring Hope and a MomeyerI grew up on the fringe of Raleigh near Raleigh Country Club, but I had a lot of farming influence near Pilot where my roots run deep. I never tried to change my accent and never would.
I lived in Bunn for a few years as a small person.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I lived in Bunn for a few years as a small person.
I've never been to Bunn. Not even to see the lake.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
I've never been to Bunn. Not even to see the lake.
Odd, with folks from Pilot.

Bunn Lake is in Zebulon, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary