Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 03:08 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times

Advertisements

We've been looking for 6 months, and we finally found a house that both my wife and I could live with. Not perfect, but pretty close.

We think that our offer was fairly good ($137.5/sq ft) considering the comps in the neighborhood ranged from $131/sq ft to $142/sq ft (average of $135 sq ft), but the owners were asking $145/sq ft. Not sure where their realtor came up with that figure, considering the house had no noticeable upgrades over others in the neighborhood.

I just hope that one of those California or NY familes, loaded with cash from selling their previous home, don't outbid us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 03:27 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,328 times
Default Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
We've been looking for 6 months, and we finally found a house that both my wife and I could live with. Not perfect, but pretty close.

We think that our offer was fairly good ($137.5/sq ft) considering the comps in the neighborhood ranged from $131/sq ft to $142/sq ft (average of $135 sq ft), but the owners were asking $145/sq ft. Not sure where their realtor came up with that figure, considering the house had no noticeable upgrades over others in the neighborhood.

I just hope that one of those California or NY familes, loaded with cash from selling their previous home, don't outbid us.
Where are you living now?? I hope you get the house.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:21 PM

We're in an apartment in Morrisville. We didn't think we'd be one of those families that could come here on a weekend and buy a house without first getting to know the area, so we rented an apartment for 6 months. We just renewed our lease.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:36 PM

653 posts, read 2,986,218 times
Congratulations, NewUser! We're pulling for you!

Old 01-12-2007, 04:47 PM

108 posts, read 475,143 times
Congratulations. We're about to start the process, so I'll pick your brain if you don't mind.

Do you/did you meet anyone else going through the same thing? I think I would want to take my time looking, as well. Did you buy new construction or what age of home did you choose?
Was your rent significantly higher than your current mortgage, same, or less? Did you have a storage unit?
Did you already have a job when you signed your lease?

Sorry for all the questions! Most everyone who posts here is full of useful information and are very helpful, so I assume you're "one of THOSE".
Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post

Old 01-12-2007, 05:14 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Good Luck NewUser! We closed on our first home back in September so I know what it is like to make that first offer! When do you expect to hear back from them? Our agent always had us put a 24 hour limit on our offers so we heard back from the sellers fairly quickly and didn't leave a whole lot of time for other people to come in and make a better offer. Truth be told though, the offer we did make was very fair and there were only minor negotiations between us and the seller and everything went great! Good luck to you and let us all know how it turns out!

Old 01-12-2007, 05:49 PM

Wow. Lots of responses already.

To marymel's questions: We've been considering new construction as well as "fairly new" (<10 years old). Unfortunately, many of the newer subdivisions close to RTP had very small yards (< 1/3 acre) or were out of our budget. The newer subdivisions with larger lots in our price-range seemed to be farther away from RTP than I wanted to drive (30 min max). The house that we bid on today is 7 years old and is on 3/4 acre.

Our rent was higher than our previous mortgage payment, but once you factor in real estate taxes, HO insurance, HOA fees, and utilities, there was no comparison. Rent was WAY cheaper. Maybe close to half as expensive. We found an apartment with a garage, so all of our stuff is packed in the garage from floor to ceiling.

I already had a job when I signed the lease. We were living in Texas at the time and did our apartment hunting via the web. I had a friend living in Raleigh, and he volunteered to check places out. Sometimes the actual apartments aren't as nice as the pictures lead you to believe.

To North Raleigh Guy's questions: Our agent expects to hear back from the sellers on Monday. As we were turning our offer in, the seller's agent informed us that he received word of another offer coming in today too. Damn! Not the best situation to be in.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:41 PM

108 posts, read 475,143 times
Default Thanks and good luck!

Thanks for answering my questions. Good luck with the move, and congratulations again!

Old 01-14-2007, 07:47 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
How exciting and good luck to you! Oh and just so you know this CA family lost two homes to quicker draws and higher bids when we moved out here. It happens to the best of us and in my mind there is always a reason. We recently drove back to one of the homes we didn't get. They had plowed down all the trees behind it and built MCMansions. It was awful and we were so thankful we didn't get it! We just kept saying as we drove by "what would we have done? what would we have done" Just remember if it is meant to be it will happen!

Old 01-14-2007, 09:23 AM

Well, we didn't get the house. They came down $5K and we came up $5K but there was still a large expanse in between. We left the offer open, so hopefully they'll come back later and reconsider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary