Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 03:00 PM

35 posts, read 100,995 times

Advertisements

job market in Raleigh right now? From what I heard, its some of the best in the United States. I currently live in Grand Rapids, MI and am strongly considering moving to Raleigh in April. Also, how much does the average, decent neighborhood, 1 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 03:25 PM

Default Costs?

What are the going costs for a 1 bed 1 bath apartment in Raleigh right now in atleast a decent neighborhood? I am thinking about moving there from Michigan in 6 months or so. Also, how is the job market for you're average worker willing to do anything? I have worked in restaurants as cooks and currently work in an assembly factory.

Last edited by autumngal; 08-04-2008 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: Threads merged

Old 08-04-2008, 06:35 PM

551 posts, read 2,288,077 times
I hate to say this, but it depends. Your definition of 'decent' could be different from mine. You could spend anywhere from $475-1,000. I would say that you could get something just fine for $600-650. You can check out apartments.com for some ideas.

As for the job market, you will see widely varying opinions on these boards. Lots of people are coming here to find jobs, so despite the fact that it's a great market, there is a lot of competition for each position.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:40 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmKicksArse View Post
What are the going costs for a 1 bed 1 bath apartment in Raleigh right now in atleast a decent neighborhood? I am thinking about moving there from Michigan in 6 months or so. Also, how is the job market for you're average worker willing to do anything? I have worked in restaurants as cooks and currently work in an assembly factory.
I think a $500-$600 rent figure will get your feet on the ground.
Might even get you a 2 BR place.
But it might get you an area that is "just good enough."
If you are willing to do any job and show up every day, I think you will find work to keep going until you get something you really like.

Bring some nest egg cash, for until you get a paycheck.
Good luck!

Old 08-04-2008, 10:23 PM

I was basically thinking about bring enough to live six months without a job just in case i dont find one right away

Old 08-05-2008, 02:50 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Quote:
I was basically thinking about bring enough to live six months without a job just in case i dont find one right away
We have a great, safe 1 BR for $715.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:12 AM

259 posts, read 1,042,033 times
Default How is the job market

Quote:
Good idea to bring 6 months to live on. Maybe you will have better luck finding a job then I'm having since you're career is different than mine. Check out Trianglejobs.com, Craigslist.org and Monster.com for Raleigh and surrounding areas. It will give you a good idea of what's out there. Many of them post the hourly wage, but it might scare you as it did I. Most of the jobs I see posted are all part time and therefore do not offer any health benefits. I have never, ever had a problem finding work until I moved to Raleigh. Wake County from what I heard the other day on the news has been one of the hardest hit county's in NC. They have one of the highest unemployment rates and jobs for my line of work which is insurance/customer service/inside sales is non-existant. Every place I have searched there isn't a thing in my line of work. My dream was to buy a house but I no longer see that as an option. The economy will turn around, but it's going to be a matter of time.

Also, I found a nice 2-bedroom apartment for $635 in Raleigh, and you can't beat the "Southern Hospitality." I've lived in a few states in the eastern and western part of the county and the people here are the best!!!

Old 08-05-2008, 11:04 AM

I am also going to school for Computer Information Systems. How would you say the jobs for this are down there? I heard Raleigh was a pretty big tech town for those kinda jobs.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:28 PM

551 posts, read 2,288,077 times
I'd agree, but I'd also say it's very competitive. Lots of people have moved here for that very reason and so there are many applicants for every position! Try to get a job that will get you experience while you are going to school - even level 1 help desk experience will put you in better standing than general retail.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:34 PM

Great. Thanks for everyones help. Are there certain parts of Raleigh I will want to stay away from when looking for an apartment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary