Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 01:17 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Sadly, it looks like there will be a Walgreens, although not in the building you thought. So strange. There's such a heavy saturation of drug stores in that part of town. How can they all survive?
Where I used to live, there was a Walgreen's and a CVS on opposite corners. Then, about seven stores down from the Walgreen's, on the same street, there was another CVS which not long ago expanded to double in size by taking over a store next door. I never understood that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 01:29 PM

100 posts, read 243,025 times
Welcome to the Medicated States of America!

Old 07-27-2008, 01:47 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
Where I used to live, there was a Walgreen's and a CVS on opposite corners. Then, about seven stores down from the Walgreen's, on the same street, there was another CVS which not long ago expanded to double in size by taking over a store next door. I never understood that...
It's like they are in a chess match.

I used to work for some corporate lawyers who repped Walgreen's owners, and these particular owners (I guess they are franchises?) deliberately built/bought where they could find a CVS (or Eckerd, then) - just on the other side of the street for the opposing traffic.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:21 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
It's like they are in a chess match.

I used to work for some corporate lawyers who repped Walgreen's owners, and these particular owners (I guess they are franchises?) deliberately built/bought where they could find a CVS (or Eckerd, then) - just on the other side of the street for the opposing traffic.
Actually, there's a long explanation for it in spatial studies of businesses - these studies actually have helped theorists like Anthony Downs explain politicians convergence on the center on many issues (see "An Economic Theory of Democracy," 1957.) The theory actually starts with two of the drugstores of the day -- perhaps Walgreens and McCrory's?

The argument goes, people walk or drive to the store nearest where they live. In a town with a main street in it (say E to W) it would make sense for two drugstores to be on opposite ends of the town. Yet if one store was on the opposite end of the town, it would make sense for the other to be just a smidge closer. For instance, a store at the antipodal eastern node competing with a drugstore halfway between the town center and antipodal western node would get well less than half business.

To sum it up, over time businesses will converge on each others' locations to maximize the amount of sales they get.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:10 PM

673 posts, read 2,267,039 times
Default The new Harris Teeter

Just came back from shopping at HT on NC-54. The cashier I spoke with said the old store will stay open, and HT corporate will see how well both stores perform.

Also, the new store WILL have a pharmacy and will also have a Starbucks. In addition, there will be an online ordering feature available for this store, so you can place orders online and then pick up your order.

Just thought I would share these tidbits.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:15 PM

847 posts, read 3,523,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvitts View Post
Just came back from shopping at HT on NC-54. The cashier I spoke with said the old store will stay open, and HT corporate will see how well both stores perform.

Also, the new store WILL have a pharmacy and will also have a Starbucks. In addition, there will be an online ordering feature available for this store, so you can place orders online and then pick up your order.

Just thought I would share these tidbits.
Thanks for sharing that!

The HT on MLK has the pickup feature. You can place your order online, where it even stores your favorites and previous orders, and drive up to pick up your order. You don't have to get out of the car, which is super-awesome if you have kids, and it is only $4.95, well worth it for us.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
Thanks for sharing that!

The HT on MLK has the pickup feature. You can place your order online, where it even stores your favorites and previous orders, and drive up to pick up your order. You don't have to get out of the car, which is super-awesome if you have kids, and it is only $4.95, well worth it for us.
I agree that $4.95 would be worth it, especially if it saves me an hour or more of my time!

Old 07-27-2008, 03:23 PM

847 posts, read 3,523,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvitts View Post
I agree that $4.95 would be worth it, especially if it saves me an hour or more of my time!
Indeed, not to mention with the kids I save at least that in the can-I-haves. Can I have a box of cookies? Can I have chocolate milk? Can I have pretzels? I'm obviously blaming all this on the kids.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Indeed, not to mention with the kids I save at least that in the can-I-haves. Can I have a box of cookies? Can I have chocolate milk? Can I have pretzels? I'm obviously blaming all this on the kids.
How I remember those days! Trips to the grocery store were a challenge!

Old 07-27-2008, 05:30 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
and, one day soon, Poppies').
Is Poppies that Gourmet Farmers Market from Brevard??? Are they opening in Durham? If so do you know the location?? Looks fab online!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary