Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 08:33 PM

34 posts, read 120,104 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what would be the advantage of using a broker/agent to enroll in BCBSNC for my business or should I call BCBS direct? Does the agent make money on the quote? Does using a broker make my monthly premium higher?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 09:14 PM

331 posts, read 1,311,466 times
You do not pay extra to have a broker and you still have the advantage of his expertise for guiding you to the right plan for you and your business as well as helping you down the road if there are any service issues. I used to work for Blue Shield in California so I know how this works. If you go direct, once they get the sale, they have absolutely no interest in helping you in the future. Trust me, you are much better off with a broker.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:05 PM

532 posts, read 2,845,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori1961 View Post
You do not pay extra to have a broker and you still have the advantage of his expertise for guiding you to the right plan for you and your business as well as helping you down the road if there are any service issues. I used to work for Blue Shield in California so I know how this works. If you go direct, once they get the sale, they have absolutely no interest in helping you in the future. Trust me, you are much better off with a broker.
I'm a former employee benefits consultant, a former business owner and individual plan consumer and I fully agree with Lori1961. A "commission" is built into the rates so you do not pay anything extra by using a broker and a broker comes in very handy when you are shopping for a carrier and coverage and possibly going through underwriting, or have issues with claims payment, rate increases, etc. They have much more clout than you would with insurance companies. A broker also knows the ins and outs of group plans vs. individual, etc.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:04 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
I'm a former employee benefits consultant, a former business owner and individual plan consumer and I fully agree with Lori1961. A "commission" is built into the rates so you do not pay anything extra by using a broker and a broker comes in very handy when you are shopping for a carrier and coverage and possibly going through underwriting, or have issues with claims payment, rate increases, etc. They have much more clout than you would with insurance companies. A broker also knows the ins and outs of group plans vs. individual, etc.
I couldn't agree more. My husband started a company about a year ago. We had 3 employees on insurance when we started and have about 30 now. Having a broker has been a life saver. We probably would have had to have hired an additional administrative employee if we hadn't had the broker handling a lot of the paper work. Also, it's very true that they have better contacts at the insurance companies. If I call BCBSNC, I'm likely to get three different answers from three different CSRs about any question I have. They have better contacts and get faster and more accurate answers. We're in the process of switching carriers and there is no way we could have dealt with this without a broker. Also, I don't know if this is of interest but we were able to get our dental, life and disability insurance as well as our 401k plan from the same broker which made life much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary