Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:23 PM

302 posts, read 961,371 times

Advertisements

Hi all its me again. I just wanted to see if you guys could give me your thoughts on the availability of jobs in mine and my fiance's fields, and also how mush less to expect here over NY.

My fiance is an RN here on LI NY. Shes only been working for 1 yr and starting salary is about 65k. She works in the Neo Natal ICU at one of the largest university hospitals on the east coast.

Also i'm a Financial Analyst for a large company and starting salary was about 45k, and now about 53k with 1.5yrs experience. If anyone works in these fields or know about salaries please let me know.

I dont trust what salary.com says. They estimate about 10% less in the Raleigh area, but i thinks thats off a little.

Any info as to which areas of the triangle would be more suitable for those jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 12:48 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Your fiance needs to be prepared for a pretty hefty cut in salary here. My husband is an RN, several years of experience, with all kinds of cardiac certification/credentials. He took about a 35% pay cut down here, as compared to RI. RN salaries range from $20/hr to $31 plus shift/weekend differentials. We were quite surprised at how low the pay was for nurses, however, I'm a nurse practitioner and I am making slightly more here! Go figure....

Old 07-17-2008, 12:54 PM

371 posts, read 1,259,289 times
Yup...ljd is right. I made $40/hr in MD/DC area, then $33 in San Diego ( course I loved it there, so...) and now went to $28/hr in NC. And even that was 'negotiated'. I am almost 10 yrs. in my specialty ( operating room).
Keep in mind that despite it being lower cost of living supposedly, I still live in very modest middle class on my salary. I always have to work extra to cover my/ family expenses. I've had to work a lot extra just to go on a Florida vacation later in the year. Course it's only my salary going for all 4 of us...

Old 07-17-2008, 01:00 PM

So 20 to 31/hr would be 42k-65k/yr so there is just a broad range, and thats without differentials, so what hospitals would keep her in the higher part of that range??

Any advice for my career field?

Also what would be considered a good amount of money for a young married couple to live comfortably on, with no kids, in say a 250k house in Cary. 100k combined??

Old 07-17-2008, 01:05 PM

6 posts, read 9,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtech123 View Post
So 20 to 31/hr would be 42k-65k/yr so there is just a broad range, and thats without differentials, so what hospitals would keep her in the higher part of that range??

Any advice for my career field?

Also what would be considered a good amount of money for a young married couple to live comfortably on, with no kids, in say a 250k house in Cary. 100k combined??

The median household income in Cary is somewhere around $110k. It is in that ballpark.

What pay people get when they move here really matters on many things. I received a 25% increase, others take a cut. There is no blanket anwser.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:43 PM

What field do you work in if you dont mind me asking dang write?

i noticed that too i looked at similar jobs to mine in raleigh on monster and the salary was about the same and some a little more..

Old 07-17-2008, 01:51 PM

6 posts, read 9,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtech123 View Post
What field do you work in if you dont mind me asking dang write?

i noticed that too i looked at similar jobs to mine in raleigh on monster and the salary was about the same and some a little more..

Purchasing / Inventory Control

Old 07-17-2008, 02:47 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
From what I've learned nursing salaries in the Triangle area, WakeMed in Raleigh seems to pay about the best but it is still very low as compared to the Northeast. Duke is probably one of lowest but offers so much in the way of academia and the benefits are excellent. I think UNC is about the same as Duke. Your fiance may be able to negotiate some, given her specialty (neonatal ICU) and the high demand for experienced nurses in this field. There are plenty of nursing jobs everywhere - she won't have a problem securing a position.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:27 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
I took a 30% cut from a utility company in New Orleans to a division of an NC bank in 1989.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:34 PM

551 posts, read 575,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I took a 30% cut from a utility company in New Orleans to a division of an NC bank in 1989.

Banks typically pay less than other industries in all states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary