Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 05:58 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In & Out View Post
No problem. You should see what mine looks like before I click the spell check. I just wanted you to know it was there to use.

I will have to disagree. Everyone has a different view of what is special and that is fine. I think that area is spectacular. But any home is worth exactly what a buyer will pay for it. Obviously the buyers for that area think it is special and worth more than other areas.

Now these is fightin' words. There can never be enough shopping centers, lakes and golf courses. The more the better. I am so psyched about all the development at the corner of High House and Davis. It will really make this area the hub of Cary.

This statement is simply incorrect. Cary schools are very good, in particular the West Cary schools. There are plenty of threads here that contain comments from parents that will back that up.

Regarding the commute issue. Again, this is a blanket statement. I reach RTP in 8 minutes with very little traffic. I live in West Cary and it is a breeze. Now if you live in the southeast part of Cary, yes the commute will be longer. One statement does not fit all.

This is also incorrect. I live in the Preston area and there is not a lot of air traffic noise. We are not in the flight path. There is one big plane in the afternoon that cannot get high very quick and it is louder than most. Other than that, the planes are already up high and turning, so it is not a problem at all. It is no where close to the noise of Morrisville and Brier Creek.
Cary has bad public schools? That's pretty crazy. It has some not fantastic ones, but In & Out is right. The West Cary schools are uniformly excellent.

Also, I lived just east of Preston and rarely heard a plane, but I did notice them whenever I was at Highcroft (at the park with my children). The east part of Preston, at least, doesn't have an airplane noise problem unless you are hyper sensitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 07:19 PM

551 posts, read 575,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Cary has bad public schools? That's pretty crazy. It has some not fantastic ones, but In & Out is right. The West Cary schools are uniformly excellent.

Also, I lived just east of Preston and rarely heard a plane, but I did notice them whenever I was at Highcroft (at the park with my children). The east part of Preston, at least, doesn't have an airplane noise problem unless you are hyper sensitive.

sls76, thanks for covering my back.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:17 PM

192 posts, read 437,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Why folks still get upset with the school system then? it is a fact that the east and south cary schools are worse than the west ones.

Quote:
Noticing the air noise or not, preston is in the air noise pollution zone is another fact. It all depends on how sensitive you are to that noise. some folks even build the houses right close to I-40 (drees, branywine).

Old 07-19-2008, 09:01 PM

551 posts, read 575,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhrambull View Post
Why folks still get upset with the school system then?

"Some" people are upset because the "county' has mandated year round schools. Some people like a traditional calendar and others like year round. Can't please everyone.

Quote:
it is a fact that the east and south cary schools are worse than the west ones.
I believe it was already pointed out that the West Cary schools are considered the better schools. So.............???

Quote:
Noticing the air noise or not, preston is in the air noise pollution zone is another fact.
Well here are the facts. Only "part" of the Preston area is even in the noise zone and the portion that is in it, is only in the fringe section. So on the occasion that "some" Preston homes can hear a plane, it is minimal. You will find this documented in the link, so it is "fact".

http://http://www.rduaircraftnoise.com/home/AircraftNoiseNotificationWake.pdf (broken link)

I find there are way too many blanket statements being thrown out and they are not even based on fact.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:44 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
Quote:
Why folks still get upset with the school system then? it is a fact that the east and south cary schools are worse than the west ones.

Noticing the air noise or not, preston is in the air noise pollution zone is another fact. It all depends on how sensitive you are to that noise. some folks even build the houses right close to I-40 (drees, branywine).
I don't know much about the schools in South Cary. My understanding is that the schools in West Cary pull from a very homogenous population, have few free & reduced lunch students and high test scores. Central Cary is a different story, but the schools still are good, just not as good. The main complaint as I understand it is reassignment which happens often in West Cary because of growth and in Central Cary to balance the number of free & reduced lunch students. I had heard they were considering limiting reassignment to every 3 years. I don't know if they did, but that would be a major improvement for those who seek stability for their children. Year round really isn't much of an issue. Most people love it and many people try to get in to YR schools and are turned away.

As far as the plane noise, we lived in Highland Oaks just east of Cary Parkway off Maynard. We were outside all of the time, especially in the Summer at the pool. I will say that never once did a plane come over that made a conversation difficult to hear. It's just not a factor. I can see how some of the homes in the NW part of Preston might have more airplane noise, but the part by Prestonwood CC is effectively not affected.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:06 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
sls76, did you move from Cary? Where are you now? In any event, glad you're still on this forum, you offer valuable information on a regular basis!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:57 AM
vvv vvv started this thread

14 posts, read 35,037 times
First of all, thanks to every one who answered this post.

Second, since I am who started this post, I would
like to make a comment. Seems to me, everyone who lives
in Cary now, is happy, or almost happy. And some of you
are kind of enthusiastic about Novartis Plant planned in the area
and so on.

I just wanted to say, that some of the people relocated to the
area by this plant or others companies like this might consider
to live in South-East of Zip 27603 rather then in Cary, Apex or Holly spring.

And it is not because they can not afford their homes in Cary
and would like to pay as little as $200K, but because they
can find better deals in other areas. And assuming that the driving
for some of them is not an issue and they know from their experience
that the public schools are getting better and better once people
are moving to new area, the Cary housing market might change faster then
we might think today.

Personally myself ( and I strongly believe others relocated from Midwest,
CA, NY or NJ do think the same), we will rather have a small farmer or
goat or horse next to our backyards or growing city of Garner then
Nuclear plant, future City damp or Novartis plan nearby. We used to
multicultural/multiracial environments, the only thing we want for our
kids is to be in the equal environment no matter if it is 50/50 or 33/33/33
or 25/25/25/25.

I really would like to hear something from anyone from Garner area or
Ten-ten road , Fanny Brown road areas and vicinity.

Thanks again to everyone. Some of your RE comments are very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary