Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:15 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,297,867 times

Advertisements

Perhaps this would be a better post for my city-data blog and I know over the past year there has been a lot of press (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/wake/raleigh/story/1022984.html - broken link) about the issue of tear-downs inside the beltline, but I am still curious what people think on this issue. What are your thoughts on the look of the addition to the house on the right pictured below? I'm thinking it looks a tad bit out of place, but that's just me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 09:20 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,175,291 times
Worse than a billboard on Capital.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:28 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,195,360 times
LOL. OK, to be honest, I like the house. But I think you need to keep the neighborhood in mind when you build. The scale and design both overpower the little house next door.

I can't help but think that I would feel a little sheepish every time I came home, if I were the owner of the house on the right.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:41 AM

113 posts, read 436,819 times
Although there are some houses near me that I think ought to be candidates for tear-down construction, my heart almost breaks when I drive by and see the remnants of what I remember being a lovely brick house - in keeping with the neighborhood. This has happened to me recently on Glenwood near Five Points, and on Fairview (going away from Oberlin). In one case, I actually said to myself that I hoped they were merely replacing the roof or expanding upwards....only to come by the next day and find it gone forever.

In most cases, I would prefer that the houses were extended back or up rather than being torn down and replaced by a monstrosity.

A builder said to me once that although they look out of place now, one day all the houses around them will look like that. I get the point but find it had to swallow - particularly in the beautiful bungalow areas of Five Points.

And although I love the idea of my house value increasing, it doesn't seem right that nurses and school teachers aren't able to live closer to the place they work. I feel that the mix of price points is important.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:23 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,091,644 times
Is that an addition on the back, or does that face the front visible from the street? If it's an addition, it's still not fitting in with the neighborhood (fire that architect!) but worse if it is a complete teardown.

Up here in MA, if an area is declared an historic district, any building must be approved by the local historical society.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:35 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,969,477 times
Wow, way out of place. It doesn't even match the house behind it and just looks very odd. I agree that the architect should be let go!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:39 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,297,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Wow, way out of place. It doesn't even match the house behind it and just looks very odd. I agree that the architect should be let go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
Is that an addition on the back, or does that face the front visible from the street?
Actually, that modern looking structure is an addition connected to the little blue house peaking out from behind it. The addition is to the the front of the house and faces the street.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:10 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,091,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Actually, that modern looking structure is an addition connected to the little blue house peaking out from behind it. The addition is to the the front of the house and faces the street.

Wow, I'd love to know what they were smoking when they dreamed that up then! I *might* *might* *might* be able to buy some convoluted, twisted logic IF it were an addition to the back of the house. But the front? In addition to being downright b*tt ugly and not in keeping with the neighborhood it's just..........wrong.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:20 AM

965 posts, read 4,502,494 times
Well, NRG, if you make it to the next Modernist Homes tour, you might be able to get inside this one.

According to that link you provided about modernist homes, there was mention of a really small subdivision that may be created of only George Jetson houses. The house in your photo above would seem better suited for that neighborhood.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:40 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,951,091 times
I like the home on the left, very cute, needs a little TLC, in addition to some weeding/trimming. No comment on the house on the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary