Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 12:57 PM

3,304 posts, read 8,555,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewColony View Post
You know you're big time when you edge out Arlington, Texas!
Hey at least they have a Baseball team. Man would I love to have a professional baseball team in the Triangle.

In reference to ignorance about the South I could not agree more. Even when I was living in Northern VA my aunt from Long Island thought we lived in the sticks. We visited family a few years back with one of my friends that went to West Virginia University. He was wearing a "WVU" hat and my Aunt asked him what it was...so he said it's the university I go to, "West Virginia". She had this dumbfounded look on her face and then asked, "West Virginia and Virginia are two different states"? It was not a proud moment for my family, but at least she is not a blood relative I wonder what she thinks now that I live in NC? I'm telling you some people I know in NY ( including family members) think that nothing else exists outside of NY. It's truley amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 01:13 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Raleigh may have experienced exceptional population growth but it hardly feels crowded. Whenever I visit the DC area and then return home to Wake Forest I’m always amazed at how sparsely populated the area still is. Quite surprising for all the hits this forum gets.
It's because the triangle is, in many respects, the epitome of suburban sprawl. There are places so crowded in DC that you can actually have things like a functional and useful public transit system.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:19 PM

515 posts, read 1,036,366 times
Well, I'm from MA and I have to say if the cost of living were cheaper up there, I never would have left. This area has a lot to offer, but really is no comparison to the greater Boston area. These southern cities were small for the best part of the last century, what drove their growth was retirees, and lack of affordability in the larger northern/western metros.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:39 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
Well, I'm from MA and I have to say if the cost of living were cheaper up there, I never would have left. This area has a lot to offer, but really is no comparison to the greater Boston area. These southern cities were small for the best part of the last century, what drove their growth was retirees, and lack of affordability in the larger northern/western metros.
I know many from work that moved from MA. I'd say about 90% of them probably would still live up there if the cost of living wasn't so much.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:51 AM

58 posts, read 149,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
It's because the triangle is, in many respects, the epitome of suburban sprawl. There are places so crowded in DC that you can actually have things like a functional and useful public transit system.
No, Atlanta would be the epitome of suburban sprawl. With a crappy PT system to boot!

Old 08-03-2008, 04:44 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
I moved here from New Orleans. It was a giant step up!

Old 08-03-2008, 06:15 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
When I tell people I'm moving soon, they ask where, and I tell them Raleigh, NC. 9/10 look at me quizzically and say "Why?" The other 1/10 says "Oh, my friend/relative moved down there recently. They love it!"
I'm in MA right now, though, where everyone assumes it's the best place in the world because they've never bothered to go further than Maine or CT.
That's a pretty parochial view of the north, in line with what some of the folks complain are prejudiced views of the south.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:47 PM

305 posts, read 713,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungHD View Post
DB & I are number 380,172 & 380,173

Raleigh population tops 380,000 :: WRAL.com

I agree with the comment someone wrote under this story on WRAL's website:

"YIPPEE! -- NOT!!"

Old 08-04-2008, 04:38 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I'm telling you some people I know in NY ( including family members) think that nothing else exists outside of NY. It's truley amazing.
When I moved out of Manhattan I got a lot of flack, and several people thought I must have failed at something (you know, the whole..."if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere..."). I was "making it" fine! But, I just wanted to be able to afford an apartment with a bedroom! $1290 for a one room studio was not fun.

I'm as guilty of being hypocritical here as anyone because the growth concerns me and I just got here a year ago myself.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:29 AM

51 posts, read 193,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post

Monkeyboy - I'm also from the Boston area. From reading all the hype in the newspapers, and these posts, I was expecting the Raleigh area to be the perfect place to move to! I spent last week exploring the area, and Unfortunately, It's not for me. For now, the Boston area (even with its insane housing prices) will be home for a few more years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary