Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:52 PM

67 posts, read 210,670 times

Advertisements

Where can I get the best deals. My grocery bill is ridiculously high. I have been shopping at the new Food Lion near my house. My total bill is always higher than expected. I am shopping for 2 adults & 2 kids under 5 years old. Last month my grocery bill was over 600.00 -- that includes diapers, wipes, cleaning supplies, detergent....I buy a lot of generics too - but Im still spending too much.

I know about Aldi's - but I prefer to use coupons if possible?

I avoid Walmart because its always soo busy & the lines are too long.
I need to reduce my grocery expenses - Thanks for your ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 09:02 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Food prices are going way up across the country, but I think food prices in the triangle are way higher than they shoudl be based on COL in this area. I recently visited a fairly wealthy suburb of LA and went grocery shopping in a higher end grocery store there (can't remember the name of the place) but I was suprised to see prices exactly the same as they are here! Exactly!

I would suggest pouring over weekly circulars and planning meals and snacks around what is on sale at the various grocery stores combined with couponing. Stock up on stuff when you can, especially diapers and baby supplies. It's hard to do because you have to go to multiple stores per week, but if you try to combine those visits with other errands, you can come out OK.
I also highly suggest you visit the trianglemommies website. There are some coupon/cheap food DIVAS on there that always seem willing to share what they know.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:07 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,162 times
You can check out savvydollar.org
It was in the Cary News: Cary News | Thrifty guy is devoted to deals (http://www.carynews.com/front/story/9768.html - broken link)

Old 08-04-2008, 11:42 PM

8 posts, read 25,813 times
Have you tried shopping online such as Amazon for dry goods and baby stuff? Amazon has the Subscribe & Save program which discounts the price of the product plus free shipping. They have sales alot so perhaps you can stock up on cereals, coffee, paper towels and such. It's fairly easy to administer and you can cancel anytime or modify the shipping schedule. Many qualify for free shipping and the stuff comes to you.

Also Harris Teeters offers triple coupon deals. I used to get the circulars via snail mail but don't anymore. And unfortunately they don't advertise that on their website which is another thing you can do. Check out their websites for deals before shopping. Food Lion and Harris Teeter are every Wednesday; Kroger every Saturday and Target is every Sunday.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:05 AM

546 posts, read 2,417,601 times
I really don't like Walmart but if I am feeling particularly financially stretched I will shop there. They do have good prices. I go early on a weekday to avoid crowds. I would not go on Sunday if we were starving!

Old 08-05-2008, 05:28 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
BJ's Wholesale, Costco, Sam's Club can all help you save buying in bulk.

We are members at BJ's and like it.
They take coupons, too.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:30 AM

259 posts, read 1,041,901 times
Default Groceries - Best deals and prices - Trader Joe's

And don't forget Trader Joe's. This may sound silly, but I would not move to an area that did not have a Trader Joe's within driving distance. I purchase most of my grocery's there. In CA there were 2 Trader Joe's both within a 2 mile driving distance. Trader Joe's is becoming more, and more popular across the country. You might find it a little busy especially on the weekends, but be patient because it's worth the effort. There prices are very reasonable. You can buy fresh, already prepared foods, or some that are ready to go into your oven such as their stuffed chicken. It's not a big grocery store, but once you start shopping there the chances are pretty good that you'll go back, and each time you do you will discover more great foods to try. There is one in Cary and Chapel Hill. Another one is coming to Raleigh in 2009. They also have a large selection of wine, etc. For the addresses check out their website at Traderjoes.com.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:54 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,969 times
Its much more difficult to be frugal with these gas prices. Typically, we shop in several different places to find the best deals and still do but we must time our trips so as to coincide with other needed trips - to save on gas.

We do coupons and look through all the local store flyers, and make a trip for a deal (and do my regular shopping there). We are also members of Costco and buy SOME things there (you gotta know prices though because not everything is a good deal). We fill our gas tanks there as well.

Then I also do alot of bulk shopping on Amazon as well. Case of dish washer liquid with free shipping for example. And as someone mentioned, the subscribe/save option is really very simple and saves you and additional 15%...you can cancel at anytime.

For spices/herbs, I buy in bulk online and split with neighbors/friends. We also do not shop at Walmart.

Another trick, try buying only from the outer section of the supermarket..buy more "real" foods and less packaged and you might see a difference in your spending.

Lauren

Old 08-05-2008, 07:06 AM

551 posts, read 2,287,734 times
For a lot of the things you mentioned, I would never buy them at a grocery store. All the cleaning supplies, paper goods, laundry soaps, etc., are far more expensive at a grocery store. Try BJs, Sam's or Costco - get a friend with a membership to take you to try it out.... There are frequently one-day passes in coupon mailers that you could use and never have to buy a membership. Or go to the Super Wal-Mart in HS- I know it's a drive and with these gas prices it might not seem worth it, but it really is worth a trip every couple of months to stock up on those items that will keep in storage. If you go early on a weekday morning, or late at night, it's not crowded.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:08 AM

673 posts, read 2,266,886 times
Leah,

I think $600 for a family of 4 that includes diapers and wipes, cleaning supplies, etc., is doing pretty well. Unfortunately, it cost much more to buy and eat healthy than it does to keep the pantry stocked with unhealthy options.

You appear to be tracking your expenses, which is a GOOD thing! Check out some of the options others have posted here and see which ones will work for you.

Good luck, and let us all know what you find out!

BTW, every Wal-Mart I have ever gone into has the ridiculously long lines -- I will see 3 registers open with the line at each register snaking back into the shopping aisles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary