Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 07:39 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtweakers View Post
we finally made it here in beautiful NC, drove around the area and trying to suck in as much warm fresh air as we possibly could before we return to our polluted concrete jungle we call home. Found the house we like, tour the apartment we absolute dropped our jaws on, those luxury rentals along Evans and Cary Pkwy(especially ones that has the word "Weston" in it) are simply amazing and I can't believe what we are actually paying for our shoebox in NYC.

however, after my interview with the potential employer the reality hits me, and I must ask the locals about the truth on cost of living.

What kind of life would you have if you are a single income family of three making 30k-35k a year, would you be home owner or apartment renters? would you be able to eat out? would you be able to afford health coverage for your children?

I'm currently living in Manhattan, NY on single income of 42k a year and we have no health care coverage, no car, eat out at most twice a month and feels lucky to pay all bills on time.

Basically, our family knows how to "rough" it, and the main idea of moving down here is because we are tired of "roughing it" especially with my young child.

Would a 30-35k annual income considered decent wages here in Wake county, or should I expect to struggle with this income if I move here just as I struggle with my current income of 42K in NYC.

any advice is greatly appreciated.

I think you could do OK, since you said that you're used to roughing it. I would definitely rent for a while, maybe even years before you think about buying. Renting will most likely be a good bit cheaper, plus it will allow you time to save some money for a down payment if you decide to buy a house down the line. In a few yours your financial situation could be better, so I think it would make sense to rent for a while first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 07:54 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
I can't believe that everyone is forgetting that he/she said that he/she has three children. Trying to live on 30k-35k for one person is tough enough. I can't imagine what its like with 3 children. Moving down will save you money in rent. You still have to pay for gas, groceries, childrena clothing, your clothing, car insurance and other misc items. It'll be doable but I wouldn't look at apts in Cary. Try something much cheaper.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:55 AM

58 posts, read 182,584 times
thanks for all the replies.

to answer a few questions, I do live in a "rent-controlled" apartment paying 1700 a month, and I do most of my grocery shopping in cheap supermarkets, not one of those fancier more trendy ones like "trader joe's" or "whole foods". I have also done the cost of living calculator in the CNN/money website, the housing cost 75% less, and so far from my observation here in NC, that's about the only number that's close to accurate.

I actually did a bit of comparative shopping here, went to "food lion" and another one I forgot the name of. In both Cary and Durham off of NC55, the price are the same!!! The milk, the bread, the meat(actually beef cost more here in Raleigh). The food lion does not seem like a "upscale" supermarket, so I assume it's where regular hardworking folks shop for food. So foodwise it's definitely going to cost just as much here in NC. For transportation, yes, I spend 81 dollars a month for a monthly transit ticket(called the metrocard) and able to get almost anywhere I need to get to. So transportation will also cost more for me here(car payment, gas prices).

anyways, this is confusing and I'll need to research more, once again, appreciate the info.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:56 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
I can't believe that everyone is forgetting that he/she said that he/she has three children. Trying to live on 30k-35k for one person is tough enough. I can't imagine what its like with 3 children. Moving down will save you money in rent. You still have to pay for gas, groceries, childrena clothing, your clothing, car insurance and other misc items. It'll be doable but I wouldn't look at apts in Cary. Try something much cheaper.
I think you're confused, he's so hott. He did not say they have 3 children. He said that they are a family of 3 ... meaning that they have one child.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:01 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
I think you're confused, he's so hott. He did not say they have 3 children. He said that they are a family of 3 ... meaning that they have one child.
My fault.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:05 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
wow, soundtweakers-you could probably save several hundred per month in rent, moving to NC! Raleigh has several cheap food options like Aldi's and Walmart Supercenters. If you do end up moving to NC, I'd get a cheap used car for cash-it would be cheaper on insurance.

Myself, I'm not yet in NC but trying to get there-mostly because of the cost of housing-and you pay more rent in NYC than I do in CT!
Good luck with your decision, whatever it is.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:20 AM

271 posts, read 700,969 times
From a Fellow NYC'er to another. And I quote Frank Sinatra

" If you can make it there you'll make it Any Where "

No Worries

Last edited by NYCinNC; 08-08-2008 at 08:35 AM..

Old 08-08-2008, 12:20 PM

151 posts, read 693,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCinNC View Post
From a Fellow NYC'er to another. And I quote Frank Sinatra

" If you can make it there you'll make it Any Where "

No Worries
I second that thought! Also I wonder since you stated you have no health insurance if you factored in how much it would cost you in NC. Im relocating as well and as far as I can see with the lower pay it still is a good bet to leave NYC. A few things to keep in mind as far as transportation the MTA will be increasing the far a few times in the coming year. The rents will go up etc.... The low salaries in NC allows you to live in a decent home/apartment while the higher salaries in NYC gets you very little!

Old 08-08-2008, 05:33 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,917 times
I saw really nice two and three bedroom apt's in SW Durham for $1k with tennis and pool so you could see a big savings there depending on where you look. Food wise you can do better than Food Lion. We bought in SW Durham but we're still in North Jersey and working in the city. We find food much cheaper in NC. We love NY and have enjoyed everything it has to offer but we are so much happier in NC. What part of the city are you in? I grew there. Good luck.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:31 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
My inlaws live in Manhattan and say groceries are much cheaper here. Maybe other parts of NY are cheaper, but not in Manhattan.

If the company you are going to start working for offers health benefits for you and your family and you get a starting salary of 35,000 I would take it and move imo. You will be able to rent a nice apartment in a great area.
I can only state what my son said. They live in DUMBO (Down under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass), first stop in Brooklyn but both work in midtown and shop there. We were at the Harris Teeter on High House when he made the comment about higher prices. On the other hand, they also couldn't believe how inexpensive dining out is here in comparison to NY. I also say "go for it" - in addition to COL, QOL is great here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary