Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 06:13 AM

78 posts, read 199,058 times

Advertisements

The traffic here(lol) isn't bad at all. However, the ability to operate a car is poorly lacking. General rules of the road like moving over for faster traffic on the highways, and people cutting across numerous lanes to take an exit. I can't say the people are rude, but there are those who lack the skills needed to drive a car and the minivans are the worse by far. I have 3 kids so I understand all about getting them to their stuff. However, I do this without having the need to talk on the phone while eating a taco and driving 5 mph under the speed limit and refusing to move over for faster approaching traffic, and yes that type of driving will draw a finger or two and a blast of the horn from me as it is a total hazard. I will also say that it isn't region specific, I have seen this all over the place. I believe it has to do with the amount of traffic you are use to driving in.

If you must talk on the phone, get a headset and move to the right and eat before you leave the house. If you don't want to speed thats fine, but move over for someone who is driving faster. Also, buy a GPS so you know where you are going, read the directions before you leave for your destination so you can pay attention to the road and not the screen in your car. I have only been here two months so I don't know how to get everywhere I need to go, but I use a GPS and I learn where I am going before I leave to get there.

Last edited by piratelife; 08-22-2008 at 06:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 06:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALUKI_LOVER View Post
try being on a bike with all these nuts on their cell phones . .so distracted....bikes me crazy (cuz I'm on a bike you see)
that is another beef there.

automobile drivers think that they and a bike or scooter have enough space together in one lane and will not allow the person on the bike any leeway room. If the person on the bike or scooter tries to avoid a road hazard like a pot hole, road kill, or rock they need room to swerve around the object or they will flip over.

You pass a bike or scooter in same format that you would do for a car.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:16 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,720,703 times
amen sista!

Old 08-22-2008, 07:49 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,714,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
that is another beef there.

automobile drivers think that they and a bike or scooter have enough space together in one lane and will not allow the person on the bike any leeway room. If the person on the bike or scooter tries to avoid a road hazard like a pot hole, road kill, or rock they need room to swerve around the object or they will flip over.

You pass a bike or scooter in same format that you would do for a car.
Sure, but this goes both ways. In other words, as a bike rider, don't pass a line of stopped cars to get to the front of the line at a red light and then be expected to be treated like a car once traffic starts moving again.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:08 AM

113 posts, read 436,611 times
I think that courtesy is very lacking on the streets here. But it's sad you felt you couldn't wait 30 seconds of your life to allow someone to be courteous - even if it was misguided. If you'd gotten to your destination 30 seconds earlier, would it have made that much of a difference to you?

Old 08-22-2008, 11:46 AM

516 posts, read 1,888,079 times
Quote:
That's not unique to NC. That's pretty much the way it is everywhere. If you're on two wheels, you just have to assume that the people on four don't see you and are likely to hit you if you don't watch out.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:06 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,358 times
Quote:
photograph that with your camera phone. Passing on the right is illegal on a two way street.
You mean two "lane", right? I'm pretty sure that it's OK to pass on the right if there's two or more lanes going in the same direction (there was only one lane in one direction in the post you responded to, so you were correct, just clarifying).

Old 08-22-2008, 04:02 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,008,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10ACE View Post
I am a foreigner living in the area, my observations are as follows.
1) People are NOT friendly or courteous drivers (out the car they are great).
2) No one ever uses an indicator.
3) Hardly ever will someone let you into a lane on the motorway.
4) Very few smiles or friendly faces from drivers.

#2 IS NOT TRUE!!
I have proof.
I saw someone use an indicator today.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:08 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,008,146 times
Anyone know who drives a black pickup truck "Silverado"
Moderator cut: removed, big time inappropriate to post that info ??

He tailgated me,weaved and flipped the bird at me for
going the speed limit behind other traffic going down
a 2 lane road (Durant Road.)

I have no idea what he thought I should have been doing since there
were cars in front of me

Last edited by autumngal; 08-22-2008 at 05:12 PM..

Old 08-22-2008, 04:45 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
#2 IS NOT TRUE!!
I have proof.
I saw someone use an indicator today.
Pics or it didn't happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary