Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 10:05 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander2001 View Post
I have searched all over. Can anyone tell me if they have found any restuarants with whole fried clams in NC and where?
While my mom still does them at home this way, I was sad to see all the seafood restaurants around Sneads Ferry (eastern NC area I grew up) now use those premade clam strips. If you find somewhere please post it for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 02:16 PM

24 posts, read 96,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Raleigh Rob, we are almost fully vegetarian, but it's to hard to give up the wild salmon sold in Oregon. The seafood at my independent market is labeled as to how it's caught and whether it's farmed or not. I've read most of the salmon on the east coast is farmed and I prefer not to buy. What types of fish are carried in independent markets and are they labeled? I plan to scope out organic markets on our next trip to RDU.
Trader Joe's sell wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon as well as wild Pacific Salmon.

There's one in Cary and one in Chapel Hill.

Moderator cut: url removed

Last edited by autumngal; 02-04-2008 at 04:01 PM..

Old 02-04-2008, 10:48 AM

823 posts, read 3,921,565 times
Weaver St. Market has pretty strict standards for the seafood that it sells and it's pretty well labeled.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprincess View Post
We're from FL and moved here in Clayton last Fall, we found that the seafoods, especially NC shrimps, do taste differently from FL seafoods. I'm not sure why. We bought some large NC shrimps to make shrimp scampi and it didn't taste good as we made those in FL. Recipe is still the same. Does anyone notice any taste difference, comparing from where you live and here in NC?

I used to live in FL too. Being an avid fisherman myself, I'm not sure it's a difference in FL vs NC. I think it's more Gulf vs Atlantic or the more likely factor, warmer water vs colder water. I also noticed a difference in Pacific shrimp too. Anything I got that came from the Gulf or around the Keys had a somewhat sweeter taste than any Atlantic shrimp.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:37 PM

81 posts, read 248,631 times
The Monterey Bay Aquarium has a Seafood Watch group that puts out seafood guides for the entire country. Google them - I find the guides very useful when I'm looking for fish that's good for me and for the environment. They even put out an iPhone app. As for NC seafood, I'm originally from near the Outer Banks. While fried is usually a popular option for seafood there, it's not hard at all to get non-fried seafood there. A lot of Raleigh folks are conditioned to go to the Wilmington area to go to the beach because it's traditionally been so much closer. But now better roads mean that the northeastern NC beaches are much closer - go check it out for yummy non-fried seafood - blue crabs, shrimp, fish, etc.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:22 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
I love fried "Spots and Croakers" in season. I also enjoy making a few trips each year to The Sunnyside Oyster Bar in Williamston. If you ain't been there you're missing out I can tell you that much Same goes for the Cypress Grill in Jamesville on the Roanoke. The specialty in season is the fried herring.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:02 PM

36 posts, read 37,375 times
NC seafood
OK you will find all shellfish most sea fish here
NO lobster
Its all good fried
broiled
whatever you want to call it
its here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary