Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 04:39 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsncharms View Post
I know that I downloaded the Windows 3.0 servicepack via automated updates on my pc. After that, I could not connect to the internet. I was going crazy unplugging and replugging this and that and rebooting. This was also the case on my daughter's pc. I was so damn frustrated as I work at home and online. I did a system restore on both of our computers back to before we downloaded the upgrade of Windows and guess what! It worked.
I had to cancel out getting automated updates for Windows though. Not sure what to do with that as if If turn it back on, it will update again and screw up my connection.
That happened to me too - do you use Zonealarm? I read that Zonealarm is causing the problem and you can download a patch for it.

I did but still haven't let the Windows update come through (I cancelled the autoupdate as well)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 07:21 AM

150 posts, read 506,760 times
Hi there,

Wouldn't you know that once I stated that I have had no problems in nine months, that my modem gives me grief?! Late afternoon yesterday it went out. I had to reset several times. I tried TWC for 40 minutes but only got a busy signal. Finally I got through, and after 20 minutes I hung up because no one answered So agitating because when you need them, they are MIA. Glad that my hubby (resident computer guru) will be home today. It probably would have taken him 2 seconds to identify the problem and fix it. I checked the cable, and it was fine, so I knew the modem or router was the issue. I finally got it up and running.
scorp200- thanks for the zone alarm info- will check that too.
brian55-thanks as well- will check that.

Lastly, but most importantly, jjg39069 PLEASE do not plug the modem directly into your computer!!!! Arg- I have seen so many computers go down that way (viruses, trojans, spyware, malware etc etc.).

Old 09-03-2008, 08:10 AM

569 posts, read 1,977,621 times
I think that TWC may have had some problems yesterday as mine which had been very solid also had some issues yesterday. Didn't even bother calling TWC because I have been through the long waits before, only to get someone on the phone who was no help at all. It cleared up on its own after an hour or so.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:58 AM

Thanks Jeffs555-I feel a little better knowing it wasn't just me!

Old 09-03-2008, 10:26 AM

140 posts, read 440,771 times
Add me to the list of folks who had problems yesterday -- and even when I got through to TWC I kept getting shunted to a message about digital settop boxes. The weird thing was that when I plugged one computer directly into the modem it worked (another wouldn't) but couldn't get anything to work through the router so it made me think it was the router and try to debug that. About the third time I turned everything off (modem, router, computer) it began working again so don't know if it was coincidence or what. But in any case -- does sound like TWC had a problem and didn't update their messages. Would have saved me some heartburn!

Old 09-03-2008, 10:31 AM

673 posts, read 2,266,103 times
Add us to the long list of folks who had internet issues with TWC yesterday. DD called me at work and said she could not get online. Strong signal through router, tried plugging directly into cable jack, etc. We didn't even bother trying to call. Everything was working fine by evening.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:07 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinabean View Post
Hi there,

Lastly, but most importantly, jjg39069 PLEASE do not plug the modem directly into your computer!!!! Arg- I have seen so many computers go down that way (viruses, trojans, spyware, malware etc etc.).

If you use Windows and don't have any anti-virus or the firewall on, directly connecting to the internet is indeed a bad idea, but if you have a/v and the firewall up, you'll be fine.

If you have a Mac, you can connect directly without issue, but you should make sure the Firewall is active.

Also, if you all the sudden can't connect to the internet, try connecting to the router (192.168.1.1 for Linksys, 192.168.2.1 for D-Link, 10.0.0.1 for Apple, etc). If you can reach the router fine, the problem is the modem and the connection. If you can't reach the router, the modem is probably fine and you just need to reset the router. You can press the reset button, but its easier and faster just to unplug it for 6 seconds.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:46 AM

294 posts, read 829,049 times
ahh, beavis, she said Mac.....

Old 09-04-2008, 02:24 PM

484 posts, read 1,366,824 times
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
That happened to me too - do you use Zonealarm? I read that Zonealarm is causing the problem and you can download a patch for it.

I did but still haven't let the Windows update come through (I cancelled the autoupdate as well)
I'll have to look into that because yes I do run Zone Alarm. Thanks for that.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:15 PM

Hi Sayantsi-even with antivirus on (especially the ones that are highly marketed)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary