Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 07:43 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times

Advertisements

I lived on the Coast when Fran and Bertha hit in 1996. For Fran we evacuated to Raleigh and Raleigh was hit hard too. It was a mess trying to get out of Raleigh and back to Emerald Isle. Bertha and Fran hit us equally hard in '96, but Bertha didn't touch Raleigh.

The thing I would worry about is not a hurricane, but rather do you want to be looking at houses during heavy rain/thunderstorms and 20-30 mph winds? Probably not, but right now we don't know if Hanna will effect us at all.

Tough Call
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 08:11 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I say...come on down! We usually experience just rain from a weather system like this. Even if we get some wind, it may or may not prevent you from being outside. And it won't last all day. Most of the time, the weather folks are extra cautious in alerting us to weather systems coming through. Most of the time, it is so much less than they predict.

Vicki

Old 09-02-2008, 08:12 AM

174 posts, read 626,693 times
Raleigh should be fine, maybe a little wind and a lot of rain. Current predicted landfall is Charleston, SC on Saturday....

Old 09-02-2008, 08:14 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Hanna is strengthening.

Tropical Storm HANNA

The NHC is giving this a distinct chance of being a Category 2 or 3.

Also, this subforum is notorious for downplaying the effect of hurricanes on the Triangle area.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:22 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
As mentioned, the triangle is an area that people evacuate TO, not FROM, when hurricanes approach the coast.
On the other hand, we DO get hit sometimes, too--most recently in 1996. Hanna's course is still pretty unpredictable, and it would not take much of an eastward turn to send it dead-on toward the Triangle. If a full-out hurricane hits, expect downed trees and power outages (as well as LOTS of rain) for a few days.

Most likely, it won't be anything to worry much about, but at the same time, one should not be cavalier about it.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:23 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Hanna is strengthening.

Tropical Storm HANNA

The NHC is giving this a distinct chance of being a Category 2 or 3.

Also, this subforum is notorious for downplaying the effect of hurricanes on the Triangle area.
I'm not downplaying it, but worst case scenario we are looking at 20-30 mph winds, 8-12 inches of rain over 2.5 days, moderate thunder and lightening. Some minor flooding, in already known flood prone areas. This is a worst case scenario. Sure there will be some fallout from such weather, but it will be far from the ends of times.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:31 AM

945 posts, read 1,972,389 times
Default Thanks for all the input

We are headed to the airport in a few minutes. We are coming down. Worst case scenario, we have to stay a little longer. We look forward to seeing how beautiful Cary is. Our dream home is waiting for us to find it.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:35 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
I'm not downplaying it, but worst case scenario we are looking at 20-30 mph winds, 8-12 inches of rain over 2.5 days, moderate thunder and lightening. Some minor flooding, in already known flood prone areas. This is a worst case scenario.
Where are you getting this "worst-case scenario"? It still has water to cross, could still easily be tropical storm force winds when it crosses over us in the wee hours of Saturday. I think you ARE downplaying it. Have you been through a hurricane before?

Old 09-02-2008, 08:48 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
I'm watching the weather closely, but Hurricanes are fickle beasts. Any specific predictions about wind speed and rainfall amounts this early are just simple guesses and nothing else. I'll be prepared one way or another, but you really wouln't know exactly what we will get until 8-12 hours before the storm hits out area. Even then things could change significantly within a matter of hours.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:53 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm watching the weather closely, but Hurricanes are fickle beasts. Any specific predictions about wind speed and rainfall amounts this early are just simple guesses and nothing else. I'll be prepared one way or another, but you really wouln't know exactly what we will get until 8-12 hours before the storm hits out area. Even then things could change significantly within a matter of hours.

The voice of sanity!!! How many times have the weather folks told us that we were going to get snow, get ice, etc., etc., days in advance, only to have it pass us by?

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be alerted and prepared but I'm saying that there is no need to panic.

Although...it IS almost time for the panic stricken to head to the grocery store to buy all the milk, bread and toilet paper!!!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary