Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 02:31 PM

161 posts, read 602,299 times

Advertisements

If you live in the Triangle, in a neighborhood with lots of trees, you have probably heard the wonderful choruses of katydids in the evenings. They start singing when it gets dark. They sing far up in the trees, and sound like loud rattles. Supposedly they are saying "Katy did, Katy didn't." The men are calling to the ladies, and the ladies are responding.

They look like a cross between a grasshopper and a leaf. They are bright green. But we rarely see the katydids, because they like to stay high in the trees.

They are not related to the cicadas that sing in the day. Cicadas live most of their lives as grubs under ground. Katydids live their whole lives in the trees, eating leaves. They are related to grasshoppers and crickets.

They look like leaves to to camouflage themselves from their predators, mostly birds.

The katydids that are singing now are the "true katydids." Later in the summer we will hear the angle-wing katydids. Their song is a series of about fifteen rapid clicks. They are larger and rarer than the true katydids.

Sometimes, when I visit Manhattan or downtown Washington, D.C., I wish I lived in such a happening spot. But then I wouldn't hear the katydids!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 04:07 PM

150 posts, read 506,991 times
Thanks so much for the thoughtful post! My husband and I always wonder about them as we walk or run by them at night! Quite loud they are! Just another reason I love it here.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:48 PM

29 posts, read 68,539 times
My husband and I heard horrible noises coming from trees during the day in Cary - I guess those were the Cicadas. We were kind of freaked out

Old 07-07-2009, 06:00 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
I remember well the hot summer nights in the 50's and 60's sleeping with our windows opened. We grew up under a large grove of white oaks, and the trees were loaded with Katydids in the summer. The sound was sometimes deafening, but we somehow didn't find it very hard to fall asleep. It doesn't get anymore like summertime in the south than the sound of the Katydids. Nice post

Old 07-07-2009, 07:46 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
As always MrBrown, you have warmed our hearts and educated our minds.

When I grew up in Eastern NC we did not have AC . I have fond memories of laying in bed being lulled to sleep by the Katydids over the hum of the window fan. Thanks for reminding me! I think it's time to set up the tent in the backyard so the kids can experience this true Southern treat.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:51 PM

257 posts, read 1,014,821 times
oh, I thought I was hearing tree frogs & bull frogs. I'll have to go listen for "Katy Did Katy Did"!

I'd love love love to have a sleeping porch!

Old 07-07-2009, 11:17 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,501 times
I saw one of these buggers hanging out on my cactus plant a few nights ago, so I snapped a quick shot of it. Is this a Katydid?

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9532/cadeedid.jpg (broken link)

If so, we got a lot of them cuz they sure do make a lot of noise. Much different from the crickets I grew accustomed to on the west coast. However, after several years of living here, I rarely notice the sound unless I catch them right when they start up.

By the way, no Katydids were harmed in the production of that photograph.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:51 AM

99 posts, read 212,902 times
Oh my.
Thanks so much for this post. I've been lurking for the most part (DH and I are moving back to the South as I apply to grad school). I grew up in SC and had completely forgotten about the click-hum of katydids and grasshoppers.

I can't wait to get back to the lullaby!!!

Old 07-08-2009, 08:41 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
I went out last night around 10 o'clock listening for the Katydids. I didn't hear any around me in North Hills, but the folks inside the beltline off Lassiter Mill were getting a nice serenade. I could hear them well in the distance.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:59 PM

932 posts, read 3,097,752 times
Loved your post! Caliboy, I'm pretty sure that's a Katydid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary