Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:01 PM

850 posts, read 3,626,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
Lauren, I'm practically in tears after reading about your son's experience at school. That is SO heartbreaking, and completely infuriating from a parent's standpoint!!! I know something like that could happen at any school, of course, but I do wonder if things like that happen more often in school systems that are expanding as quickly as Wake's is.
I know! It was so heartbreaking AND maddening. I just couldn't believe that a school would let a new student who was actively trying to resolve his problem go without feeling supported. He had no advocate and I don't think I ever forgave them. I heard about how "I" forgot his lunch money...from the teacher, if you can believe it. Big sigh to shake it off. ;0 I do believe that the school was more concerned with their scores than anything else. Honestly, from the minute I first entered the school I felt the warmth and welcoming attitude that my current school has, missing. I do recommend that you visit the schools you in the areas you are interested in. It could be a deal breaker and believe me, you'll be able to get at least a feeling from the school, even before you talk to anyone.

Quote:
I really do NOT want to buy a house based on the schools my kids will go to, then be reassigned due to redistricting. Are the schools in Clayton not experiencing these problems? I plan to research them, but am interested in your perspective.
Johnston county is also experiencing growth but it seems more expansive. We have a long way to go before we're anything like how the Wake County area is. Though we are building new schools. Riverwood WAS the designated school in our area and is a very good school. They then built River Dell (used the same exact building plan) and we love it. They are building a new middle school here for us and another area and there's some talk as the area's scores are supposedly lower than Clayton's..but I'm sure it'll all work out. I'm not worried.

Quote:
Also, I'm a SAHM as well and am worried about meeting people when we move. Have you found that to be a problem? Are there many other SAHM's in the area?
There's tons of ways to meet folks here. I haven't gotten to many of the local moms groups but there are quite a few. Check out Carolinaparent.com ....I was just reading it and thought of the folks here on this board. There's MOMS Club, MOPS (moms of preschoolers), and many more. Plus our neighbors are amazing and all have families so we're always outside with the kids playing together. You'll meet lots of people! I"m a SAHM too!

Lauren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 09:51 AM

3 posts, read 10,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
We relocated from NJ last year, Feb to be exact. We got the job first and moved down to an apt in Cary (with a lake...how nice) so we could take our time looking for houses.

No offense to realtors or brokers but we don't like to use them until we have a few areas we KNOW we like and have explored on our own. So we do extensive online research and then take day trips checking houses and areas out to make sure that what we like on paper, is something we like in person. We look at the crime stats, the school records and look for township youth programs to see how family friendly the areas are. THEN we look for LOCAL realtors. When we first moved down so many realtors who covered ALL of the triangle area were vying for our business but we like to go with people who actually live in or near the location we are buying in. It really seems to give us a step up.

Anyhow, we had planned on buying in Cary, Apex, Wake Forest but we ended up in Clayton. A little further out but you really do get more bang for your buck AND more land. Prices have gone up about $10,000 since we bought in May 2006 but they are still hovering around $200+K for a 3 bdrm w/bonus room on about 3/4 acre. Schools are fab and you are in Johnston county, not Wake so the school issue while at hand isn't as desperate as it is in Wake.
Lauren
i know your post was a year ago....but we're planning on doing the same thing you did in a couple of months....rent an apt and explore our options....if you don't mind my asking which apt complex did you stay at.....we've been looking on apt ratings.com and not a lot of good reviews ....we're looking to rent in the cary area...any help would be nice..

Old 01-22-2008, 11:02 AM

850 posts, read 3,626,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaqt115 View Post
i know your post was a year ago....but we're planning on doing the same thing you did in a couple of months....rent an apt and explore our options....if you don't mind my asking which apt complex did you stay at.....we've been looking on apt ratings.com and not a lot of good reviews ....we're looking to rent in the cary area...any help would be nice..

Hi there,
We stayed at a place called Brampton Moors (they are listed in rent.com site for sure but try the apartmentsearch.com as well...for the cashback gift card you get). The apts were really horrible....but the its situated on a huge pond. If you ask, you might get a lake/pond front terrace. It was worth it for the kids....we were out there everyday after school feeding the ducks, turtles (huge ones that competed iwth the ducks for bread), there is fishing, etc. There's a pool too.

Plus they tried to screw us when we left saying the place wasn't clean but I scrubbed 3 inches of grime off that nasty kitchen when we first moved in and left it way cleaner than it was. They charged us for having to clean the place. I would be sure to take photos AT THE INITIAL walk through of any cracks in tile, etc....so they can't blame you.

Aside from that, we knew it was temporary and it was cheap and good for the kids....so we were happy.

Lauren
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary