Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 04:48 PM

211 posts, read 613,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Yep, I hear this type of thing from more people than not. I highly suggest TWC instead. They have been phenomenal for me. Rock solid service, accurate billing and polite & responsive customer service. I always have less than a one minute wait time. They are simply the best.
The complaints for both TWC and DTV seem to be a case by case basis. I have never had any issues with DirecTV and have been with them for probably 10 years. I have 3 HD DVRs, sports package and a premium, so that may put me in a higher service tier (not sure), so I may get better service. No issues though.

I have had TWC RR for longer and have had very few issues there either.

Maybe I am just lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 06:04 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Yep, I hear this type of thing from more people than not. I highly suggest TWC instead. They have been phenomenal for me. Rock solid service, accurate billing and polite & responsive customer service. I always have less than a one minute wait time. They are simply the best.
Why are you so willing to accept as valid the criticism when it is directed at DirecTV, but dismiss it as (unbelievable) "claims" when it is directed at TWC?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:49 AM

393 posts, read 673,584 times
I just switched to Directv from TWC, as I had troubles with TWC pixelation and DVR issues over the last month or so. I went with Directv, because so many people here have been claiming they don't have any issues with it. Well, that turns out not to be the case. I am having slight to moderate video pixealtion on multiple channels and have audio blips as well. While there are some things better about Directv than TWC, it turns out not to be the great thing so many claimed.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:11 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,495,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexIntruder View Post
I just switched to Directv from TWC, as I had troubles with TWC pixelation and DVR issues over the last month or so. I went with Directv, because so many people here have been claiming they don't have any issues with it. Well, that turns out not to be the case. I am having slight to moderate video pixealtion on multiple channels and have audio blips as well. While there are some things better about Directv than TWC, it turns out not to be the great thing so many claimed.
How is your signal strength? Maybe you have problems inside the house with your wires.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:56 AM

393 posts, read 673,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T|K View Post
How is your signal strength? Maybe you have problems inside the house with your wires.
Signal strength is great. 94 to 100 for the most part. The tech installed it all nicely and even commented on how he had a great signal at the dish. It just comes down to the fact that these types of things have limitations, whether it be via cable or satellite. I had the same issue with Directv many years ago, which is why I went back to cable. I would still be with cable if I had not had so many issues in very recent times. I just want people to realize that Directv is not as good as some people kept saying. It still does have issues. It comes down to picking your poison at this point. At least I am getting a "temporary" price reduction and there are some nice features I like on the Directv system.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:46 AM

346 posts, read 612,889 times
I might have missed this but does Direct TV offer internet service? What are the options for that?

Old 11-15-2009, 12:24 PM

71 posts, read 210,292 times
We switched to DirecTV from TWC a few months ago because we had so many service outages with cable TV and the service sucked. Had to take off from work 3 times in one week for TWC technician to come out only to find out there was a break in the line somewhere up the street. And the tech told us our cable box was "old model" that should have been upgraded years ago - who knew? TWC never told us we could exchange our box for a newer model!

We have lost DirecTV signal during really heavy rain a couple of times on the set that has the DVR but not on the set that has just the regular box (?) It still hasn't been as many times as with TWC. I haven't called for service simply b/c I've been traveling alot lately and not had time to be at home for a tech to visit. We love that nearly every channel is in HD and those that aren't have near HD quality picture. Our older model TV has never had such a great picture. The cost is cheaper than the digital package we were paying for at TWC too. If you decide to get one of the dish services, shop for package price - they offer some good deals but they're not the same from every outlet you can purchase the service from.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:06 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,495,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
I might have missed this but does Direct TV offer internet service? What are the options for that?
Not really but they do partner with a few DSL places that you can get a combo price with. I have Verizon DSL.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:07 PM

346 posts, read 612,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T|K View Post
Not really but they do partner with a few DSL places that you can get a combo price with. I have Verizon DSL.
Thankyou...currently here I have optimim online which is thru the cable company...I have no familiararity with DSL is it better than cable ISP?
From what I have read here my feeling is to go with DirectTV over TWC...really are not many choices in that regard. TWC sounds like they are too big to care and too expensive for what you get or dont get in the way of customer service.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:15 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,715 times
I went with directTv mainly b/c of poor customer service and wait times with TWC. I too felt that they were too big to care and make sure their customer service department was at an acceptable level. Could be a feeling I just got b/c I was getting fustrated with them though.

I will say that I maybe have had two outages in the past year with Direct. Really at times that you don't want electronics on anyway. One time I just got up and started cleaning, the other time I just went to watch some stuff I had stowed away on my DVR receiver. I am satisfied with Direct and have only had to call them a couple of times in the beginning of the service to get my bill straight and I was impressed with their customer service when comparing it to TWC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary