Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:04 AM

106 posts, read 319,483 times

Advertisements

North Raleigh area help needed please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 02:30 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,639 times
I just used Firedog through Circuit City and was pleased.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:33 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardita View Post
North Raleigh area help needed please.
What kind of problems are you encountering? I ask b/c hubby is in the tech industry and he hates to see people go the GeekSquad/Best Buy route if they don't have to....too costly and you pay just to have them glance at your computer.

Last edited by shoes4birds; 09-24-2008 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-24-2008, 03:15 PM

521 posts, read 1,598,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
...he hates to see people go the GeekSquad/Best Buy route...
Seconded. Do NOT go to Geek Squad, whatever you do. Way overpriced, and I've heard too many stories of incompetence/unprofessionalism coming out of there.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:08 PM

106 posts, read 319,483 times
Notebook with a virus, second notebook with a trojan and the wireless network I set up myself (without knowing what I was doing) isn't networking. Geeksquad is very expensive but who we used in Maine. NEw to Raleigh and trying to find who is reputable and reasonable. Thanks-

Old 09-25-2008, 09:22 AM

271 posts, read 700,901 times
There is alot of Freeware Programs you can use that can clean up 80% of Spyware/Trojans

Try Spybot, Adaware, Hijackthis

Old 09-25-2008, 01:54 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,424 times
If it's not on, turn on Windows Firewall, and connect your computer directly to your modem (since the network isn't working just yet). Download the trial edition of NOD32 at eset.com and run that to deal with your virus problems. Also get Spybot and/or Adaware and run them to get rid of spyware and such.

After doing that, check your router's manual to see how to reset it to the original factory configuration, then go through the installation process again - be sure to follow the manual exactly!

BTW, what wireless router do you have?

You might want to try this quick test - hook a computer up to the router with a cable instead of using the wireless networking - see if that works. It will help to narrow down exactly what's wrong with the router.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:10 PM

150 posts, read 506,991 times
Hi there,

I gave my husbands contact info to another person on this board a few months ago and they used his help, and actually, she is using his services for a second time today My husband does mobile computer/network repair etc for a living here and back in CA. I know folks in this forum are very helpful- so hopefully they can solve your problem! If not though, feel free to DM me and I can give his contact info-he's in the phone book too.

Best of luck,
Christinabean

Old 09-26-2008, 06:08 PM

49 posts, read 174,384 times
Yup - that's me. christinabean's husband is really great. I just hate that we needed help for the same problem (stupid viruses getting into my PC!!!). Thankfully the other computer is a Mac.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:13 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,993 times
If my husband were there I know he'd take care of your computer. But since we're still in Michigan that's not possible. However, if you need a second opinion on need to bounce an idea off someone, DM me and I'll get hubby to respond. It sounds like christianbean can hook you up -- this is the best way to go (having an individual help you out rather than a costly company). Great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary