Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 06:36 AM

76 posts, read 195,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausmerika View Post
So...what is it that you are looking for Jedi? Just curious...what is it that appeals to you in a small town?
I do not have any urge to live in a small town setting, nor a city setting. I like suburbs. I have already done the small town thing. I do like to visit the little downtowns, but it seems whenever the signs say "historic downtown", it ends up meaning run down and falling apart. The Apex downtown needs a lot of work. The paint is peeling off the buildings and they have a lot of rot. The downtowns that I like are ones where everything has been maintained well and many well maintained craftsman style homes surround the downtown area, with a common. Think Norman Rockwell.

Quote:
Oh, by the way. Only 2 sites show Hillsborough spelled only as Hillsboro--neither of which are (town or county) official sites. I do think, but would have to research, that that is a very old-timey spelling.
Yes, I spelled it incorrectly. Where I used to live, we would spell towns like that either way. Borough or boro. They were interchangeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 07:00 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
Ok, we know what you don't like about downtown Apex. What is it that you don't like about downtown Hillsborough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return of the Jedi View Post
I do not have any urge to live in a small town setting, nor a city setting. I like suburbs. I have already done the small town thing. I do like to visit the little downtowns, but it seems whenever the signs say "historic downtown", it ends up meaning run down and falling apart. The Apex downtown needs a lot of work. The paint is peeling off the buildings and they have a lot of rot. The downtowns that I like are ones where everything has been maintained well and many well maintained craftsman style homes surround the downtown area, with a common. Think Norman Rockwell.

Yes, I spelled it incorrectly. Where I used to live, we would spell towns like that either way. Borough or boro. They were interchangeable.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
Ok, we know what you don't like about downtown Apex. What is it that you don't like about downtown Hillsborough?

I would not say that I don't like them. I would say I am a little disappointed in them, as I am in most areas that claim "historic downtown" status. I wish these areas were kept up better. I wish the buildings were restored. Maybe some people look at buildings that are falling apart and think "wow, that's nice looking and quaint". I look at them and wonder when they will be condemned. These little sections of time in history should be preserved. They should be kept up. In the grand scheme of things, it is not that much money to do it, yet we just let them fall apart. I have seen to many nice little downtowns that have completely fallen apart and are only a ghost of what they once were. It is sad.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:23 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
...So...you're saying that historic Hillsborough is run down and looks like it's falling apart.

ok!

In the past you've said that you prefer planned communities so I wouldn't actually expect you to like Hillsborough. The suburbs, it's not.

Quote:
I would not say that I don't like them. I would say I am a little disappointed in them, as I am in most areas that claim "historic downtown" status. I wish these areas were kept up better. I wish the buildings were restored. Maybe some people look at buildings that are falling apart and think "wow, that's nice looking and quaint". I look at them and wonder when they will be condemned. These little sections of time in history should be preserved. They should be kept up. In the grand scheme of things, it is not that much money to do it, yet we just let them fall apart. I have seen to many nice little downtowns that have completely fallen apart and are only a ghost of what they once were. It is sad.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
...So...you're saying that historic Hillsborough is run down and looks like it's falling apart.

Look at The Colonial Inn. That is what I am talking about. The building is a complete mess. It should have been kept up. That is what we should be preserving. I don't know why we don't.

FYI - The wife is hitting me upside the head about saying Carrboro was not bad. She is reminding me of how horrified we were when we went to Tyler's Tap Room there.

We will take another ride out that way this fall and give it another try. Like I said, maybe I am missing something. I will try to find it.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:31 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,516 times
I agree with you about the Colonial Inn...that is a travesty! But it isn't the town's doing, as they don't own it, but rather of the Inn's current owner, Francis Henry, who bought it 2002, and has allowed it to deteriorate. The town actually tried to use the "demolition by neglect" clause, and Henry countersued. There was a loop hole which he used, by claiming he is living there (using 2 rooms), but frequenting the downtown area I have only seen a light on once. He must be a hermit. He is the one to blame, and it's like any other property owner--you can only do so much legally.
So, if the Colonial Inn is the only thing you are basing the "neglected" and falling down reason, I guess you haven't been there recently. It has become a very vibrant, albeit small, downtown. Lots of sidewalk tables to eat, well known blues place (Blue Bayou), flowering trees...ok, now colorful but not flowering Anyway, all the restaurants always seem packed, and there are little gift stores, etc along the way as well. Plus it retains the small town feel with places like Dual Supply and the Carolina Fish and Game Shop...how homey.
As you said though...you just don't like Mayberry-ville. That's ok...Cary is a good suburb.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I agree with you about the Colonial Inn...that is a travesty! But it isn't the town's doing, as they don't own it, but rather of the Inn's current owner, Francis Henry, who bought it 2002, and has allowed it to deteriorate. The town actually tried to use the "demolition by neglect" clause, and Henry countersued. There was a loop hole which he used, by claiming he is living there (using 2 rooms), but frequenting the downtown area I have only seen a light on once. He must be a hermit. He is the one to blame, and it's like any other property owner--you can only do so much legally.
So, if the Colonial Inn is the only thing you are basing the "neglected" and falling down reason, I guess you haven't been there recently. It has become a very vibrant, albeit small, downtown. Lots of sidewalk tables to eat, well known blues place (Blue Bayou), flowering trees...ok, now colorful but not flowering Anyway, all the restaurants always seem packed, and there are little gift stores, etc along the way as well. Plus it retains the small town feel with places like Dual Supply and the Carolina Fish and Game Shop...how homey.
As you said though...you just don't like Mayberry-ville. That's ok...Cary is a good suburb.

Thanks for the info. We will add it to our go visit list for this fall. There is an ice cream joint that sits on a hill, overlooking some nice natural scenery. I forget the name, but I think that is in Hillsborough. We will hit both while we are there.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:39 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Pictures of downtown Wake Forest.
Attached Thumbnails
Thriving small town charm, main street...where to find?-nc-2008-079.jpg   Thriving small town charm, main street...where to find?-nc-2008-080.jpg   Thriving small town charm, main street...where to find?-nc-2008-081.jpg  

Old 09-28-2008, 07:14 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,516 times
Quote:
There is an ice cream joint that sits on a hill, overlooking some nice natural scenery. I forget the name, but I think that is in Hillsborough.
You must mean Maple View Farms. Very bucolic. Excellent ice cream.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:57 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Quote:

Bob/SP2SCV/In&Out/3 to NC/ Carolina Lover/ Return of the Jedi....are you KIDDING ME?!?! The Apex downtown is lightyears ahead of the Cary downtown in terms of cleanliness/curb appeal. Downtown Cary is a de-centrailized and unorganized mess and probably one of the least desirable places to drive outside of Raleigh. Downtown Apex is much more charming and definitely less vacant/crumbling.

Also; Norman Rockwell was from small-town New England and that is what he was refering to in all of his work... you know, the place you escaped from to the garden of eden that is Cary? You claim you are all about "suburbs" yet prefer downtowns to be norman rockwell- small towns. Doesn't usually work that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary