Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 04:21 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am currently a pet sitter in the Brier Creek/South Durham area. Next summer I plan on moving back to the Hillsborough/North Durham area (grew up there and miss it) and wanted to know what people thought of a dog bakery/doggie daycare in that area?

I plan on supplementing my business soon with homemade organic dog treats and was wondering if any of you in that area would be interested in such a thing? Obviously pet care is a big business in the area, just concerned about the smaller population in the Hillsborough area. I would plan on keeping it small, maybe just start a small daycare at home with dog walks and overnights too, and and on top of that sell treats.

Anyways, let me know if you think there would be a demand or if you think you personally or your friends would be interested.

Thanks!
Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 04:45 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I think this sounds like an excellent business proposal, but given today's economic conditions I must provide you with two pieces of caution.

1.) Don't Be TOO Specialized
2.) Don't Be TOO Expensive

Here in Downtown Scranton, Pennsylvania there was an upscale dog boutique known as "Poochie" that went under because locals scoffed at paying $5 for a dog biscuit in a store slightly larger than my bedroom (we're not ALL New York transplants! LOL!). I had a conversation one day with the owner while checking out, and I admired her enthusiasm for the resurgence of our city. I also appreciated the specialized service I received (I was put on a personal mailing list to receive special coupons in my mailbox ahead of VIP sales, was notified in advance of doggie events, etc.), and I also liked how my purchases would always be put into a tasteful paper bag with tissue paper and with a ribbon tied around the handles for good measure. The service was second-to-none, but even though the store was revolutionary for our city (the Thursday night "Yappy Hours" for customers' dogs were a hit), once again in a city where only 1/3 of the people earn in excess of $50,000 per year and where PetSmart and Petco have strong footholds she didn't stand a chance in hell peddling her very limited variety of expensive wares.

KNOW YOUR CUSTOMER BASE!!! If you think this might be a more upscale-oriented establishment, then you might be best off setting up shop in an upscale community where people have enough discretionary income, even during our impending recession, in order to splurge on services for their canines (I'm thinking Cary?)

Best of luck!

Old 10-02-2008, 06:06 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
We moved here from RI - there were several dog boutiques in our area. You wouldn't believe how many people are willing to pay big money for things to pamper their pets with. The was a local woman who began making homemade/organic dog treats and, before long, several of the pet boutiques began carrying her line. The boutiques called this section "The Barkery" !!

Old 10-03-2008, 12:19 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
We moved here from RI - there were several dog boutiques in our area. You wouldn't believe how many people are willing to pay big money for things to pamper their pets with. The was a local woman who began making homemade/organic dog treats and, before long, several of the pet boutiques began carrying her line. The boutiques called this section "The Barkery" !!
That was my vet's wife, I think.

She opened a bed & breakfast and closed the food sales area at the hospital.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:33 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,200 times
Thought you mind find this helpful.

There are a few of these in the Charlotte area. A very popular one is called the Canine Cafe. The owner offers training for others who want to open a similar store.

Opening your own k-9 Bakery

Old 10-03-2008, 02:53 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
That was my vet's wife, I think.

She opened a bed & breakfast and closed the food sales area at the hospital.
SF - was this in RI? If so, it is a small world. We went to our vet just before moving and found out the vet we had been using had left! In her place was a young male vet who had recently moved to RI from Raleigh. He had gone to school at NC State I believe!

Old 10-03-2008, 05:23 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,130,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Thought you mind find this helpful.

There are a few of these in the Charlotte area. A very popular one is called the Canine Cafe. The owner offers training for others who want to open a similar store.

Opening your own k-9 Bakery
If you are serious about opening up the dog bakery, I highly suggest a trip to Canine Cafe. The owner started in a small shop in Pineville, NC. She was known to throw doggie bday parties and hostess Yappy Your to drum up business. Eventually, she moved her shop from Main Street Pineville to the South End (trendy area) section of Charlotte just outside of uptown. She definitely has a formula for success.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:39 AM

Hi, thanks for all of your help! I'll check out Canine Cafe.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:19 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
SF - was this in RI? If so, it is a small world. We went to our vet just before moving and found out the vet we had been using had left! In her place was a young male vet who had recently moved to RI from Raleigh. He had gone to school at NC State I believe!
No, Magnolia Animal Hospital here in Raleigh. Nikki called her food area "The Barkery".

Old 10-08-2008, 09:28 AM

Well I guess not hearing from anyone in Hillsborough interested in a dog bakery answers my question! I know Hillsborough's population is small, I guess I was hoping there would be enough people interested or it be a destination point. Also, I would think tourist coming off of I-85 would be interested. I am also leaning more towards a dog bakery/boutique, instead of daycare.

Anyways, this is all down the road a couple years from now so we'll see how things go and change. I'd rather stay away from the Cary/Raleigh area since I like the smaller town feel and I am slightly bias since I grew up in north Durham/Hillsborough area.

But my plans now are to keep pet sitting and sell treats to clients and I'll check out the flea market as well.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary