Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 08:15 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how triangle school districts (Durham particularly) handles special services for homeschooled & private schooled children. Specifically if a child is homeschooled or sent to private school can the child receive services such as Speech Theraphy or Counseling from their local public school. Where we moved from homeschooled students could use the school systems for things like speech, art classes, music instruction, chemistry, etc. These were ususally services or classes that required "special training" or "special equiptment".

There were several students who went to the local Catholic School and received Speech from the neighborhood (district) school. The thought is that their parents are tax payers therefore they are paying for these services.

Does anyone know if here in the triangle these sort of policies are set by the district or the state? And is anyone aware of what the policies are for the surrounding districts..... Durham, CH/C, Wake, Orange, Chatham?

Also, if you are aware of resources where to check I would appreciate it. I know I can call the School District but what we found in Portland is that the schools and district were resistent to provide these services for homeschooled/ private schooled children, because the state had not set up a way for these schools to get additional funding for services for these children. Schools were already stretched so they understandable did not advertise or promote these services outside the school community. So I'd like to know the "rules"/ "laws" before I start making calls.

Thanks for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary