Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 04:43 PM

336 posts, read 1,495,809 times

Advertisements

i have seen SO many beautiful houses on beautiful lots for sale in our price range in north durham. i know that eno river and other outdoor adventures are around, and that the schools are excellent. so, what are the negatives? is it not as "popular" as SW durham because of the location? is north durham far from everything (chapel hill, raleigh, RTP, etc)??? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 04:49 PM

945 posts, read 1,972,389 times
Distance to everything is the main drawback. There is some beautiful country in North Durham. Scott Riggs is also from northern Durham. Bahama, I believe.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:45 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
I live in SW Durham and I find it "not easy" to get to North Durham from here. It's so odd that it's a breeze to get from SW Durham to Chapel Hill or Cary but it's a bit of a challenge to get to North Durham from here.

I had to go to I-85 N this weekend and it felt like forever getting from the Southpoint Area to I-85N. While on the map it is not far, there is not a good hwy connection between North and South Durham (IMHO). You can get there, but you either take small roads or go around your elbow sort of thing. Again .... just my opinion. Others who live in NOrth Durham might know the secrets that I don't know.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:47 PM

635 posts, read 1,617,530 times
North Durham isn't that far from everything, depending how far North you are talking about. You definitely can get a lot more home for the money there than in other parts of Durham, and without all of that sprawl. Because I'm accustomed to being in decent proximity to most things from my current area of Durham (West Durham), I wouldn't plan on moving too far North (ie. no farther North than off of Umstead Rd) but do plan on having my next house in North Durham.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:16 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times
I grew up in north Durham and still visit my parents up there. I live in the Brier Creek area and cannot wait to move back up that way, probably Hillsborough. Anyways, it takes me about 30 minutes to get there (about 5 munites further north than Umstead Rd. off of Guess Rd., it's actually a Hillsborough address). You can get to RTP, Southpoint, and Chapel Hill in about 30 minutes. Duke is about 10-15 minutes.
Durham Freeway, 147 is easy to get too. Takes you straight pass downtown and right to I-40 and Southpoint is right up the road and Raleigh and Cary just a short drive the other way. It has less traffic than I-40 so I use it to get too the north and south areas of Durham, but I also know back roads I sometimes take too. Once you learn the roads it's pretty easy to commute around the triangle.
Anyways, I love north Durham because you can get much bigger lots for the same price as tiny ones elsewhere. I also love that it doesn't have the traffic SW Durham and Raleigh have. Really the drive isn't that bad, but this is coming from someone who grew up there.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:16 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof2 View Post
i have seen SO many beautiful houses on beautiful lots for sale in our price range in north durham. i know that eno river and other outdoor adventures are around, and that the schools are excellent. so, what are the negatives? is it not as "popular" as SW durham because of the location? is north durham far from everything (chapel hill, raleigh, RTP, etc)??? thanks!
I live in SW Durham but I know people that live in North Durham very far up Guess Rd. Off the top of my head, it just appears to me from having visited that area on numerous occasions that there are more amenities in SW Durham that people would want. But the folks I know in N. Durham like living up there.

As far as it being far from everything, I would say mileage wise that it maybe, but the access to Raleigh, Cary, SW Durham, and Chapel Hill is pretty good. I-85 takes you to 70 which gets you into East Durham and Raleigh. I-85 will also take you to 15-501 Highway which will get you to 15-501 Business which will get you to SW Durham, Chapel Hill or I-40.

Housing prices seem to be similar between the two areas. As a result, when people are looking at both areas SW Durham prolly becomes more popular b/c of the amenities when you start to narrow down the pros and cons.

The lack of amenities would be the only negative about N. Durham that I can site, if you can call it a negative. Don't get me wrong, N. Durham has amenities, just not the amount that SW Durham has.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:31 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
I live in ND. I like it here, it's quiet, pretty, the people are nice. But I will admit, I think the amenities stink up here. During summer with the high gas prices, I really had to think about how to consolidate shopping trips. It really isn't that far from things, but I personally enjoy having decent shopping nearby. It takes about 20 minutes to get to Target, and about 35 to get to the mall (Southpoint). It's really not that far, but sometimes it feels far for some reason.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:34 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
Oh and someone mentioned the traffic, yes, traffic here is a breeze. Driving down to CH to visit my brother always rattles me a little. I guess I've gotten used to very little traffic in the short time I've lived here.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:55 AM

319 posts, read 1,478,984 times
I live in N. Durham. I love the restaurants around Broad St. and ninth st. It's not a quick trip when I want to go to Target. It takes about 15 minutes. I live near the Hillandale exit to I-85/15-501. It takes me 20 minutes to get to Southpoint by way of the Durham Freeway off of Broad St or I-85/15-501 to 781.

I do miss my closer proximity to Target and the 15-501 Walmart (I just like the selection better). I spend less and walk my dog more. It's a trade off. SW Durham hasn't always had the amenities it has now. I remember when there were no Targets and I had to go to the one off of 70 about six years ago. I don't expect North Durham to build up to that point, but we are getting a really big Harris Teeter off of Guess Road like the one in SW Durham.

I figure I bought before the sprawl so I am happy.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:08 AM

635 posts, read 1,617,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danadana View Post
I live in N. Durham....I live near the Hillandale exit to I-85/15-501
I wouldn't consider that to be North Durham. That's central Durham (or West Durham depending how far west of Hillendale you are)! Maybe it's just me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary