Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:01 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,971,287 times

Advertisements

Before I say anything else - please - if you don't live in Durham, don't know Durham, don't like Durham and just want to warn me away from Durham - please don't. I already live there, though in a different neighborhood. I don't want this thread to turn into a Durham crime debate...

However I really want to know about the crime specifically in East Durham around North Driver Street, as well as how the neighborhood association is doing, and whether single women with nice dogs that can appear menacing if needed should purchase one of the very affordable craftsman homes in the area.

Crime mapper indicates crime of course, which would not necessarily deter me. I need real person information. I also love the idea of helping to restore a historic neighborhood while making sure NOT to drive out the longtime residents. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 08:32 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,108,806 times
I'm interested in this area, too. I'd love to buy some investment property in that area, though I'm concerned that the economic downturn could create a less stable environment in that part of the city in the near term. However, once things stabilize too much, all the good deals will be gone!

First things first, though...I've gotta find a way to remain employed so I can afford to make investments. Not an easy thing when my company and so many others are downsizing and laying off.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:45 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,697,892 times
There still seems to be a lot going on in that area(of the not so good), although I do see some homes being refurbished. I think there are also some plans for a new grocery store somewhere near there. BCR would probably be a good person to get some info from.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:14 PM

945 posts, read 1,973,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Before I say anything else - please - if you don't live in Durham, don't know Durham, don't like Durham and just want to warn me away from Durham - please don't. I already live there, though in a different neighborhood. I don't want this thread to turn into a Durham crime debate...

However I really want to know about the crime specifically in East Durham around North Driver Street, as well as how the neighborhood association is doing, and whether single women with nice dogs that can appear menacing if needed should purchase one of the very affordable craftsman homes in the area.

Crime mapper indicates crime of course, which would not necessarily deter me. I need real person information. I also love the idea of helping to restore a historic neighborhood while making sure NOT to drive out the longtime residents. Thanks!

Please do not consider that area. It is awful. We did a Habitat house out that way. No female should be walking around out there.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
Please do not consider that area. It is awful. We did a Habitat house out that way. No female should be walking around out there.
But you only like the southpoint area and you live in Cary. I'm not dismissing your opinion - in fact I appreciate you posting since you did a Habitat house there - but I don't think we would have the same viewpoint. You thought that Hillsborough looked run down!

I actually drove by the house in question today and the street is beautiful, but that was at 11 a.m. In any case, I'm probably not getting it (mainly because I hate my job today).

Old 11-07-2008, 05:20 PM

100 posts, read 243,129 times
Sad to say it is still pretty ghetto. Revitalization or not, there's really been no reason to go there ever since the closing of crabtree pharmacy. Dang I miss those orange-aids and grill cheeses.../sigh

Try old north durham, or inner west durham...

Old 11-07-2008, 05:39 PM

945 posts, read 1,973,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
I'm probably not getting it (mainly because I hate my job today).

I am sorry. I hope next week is a better week for you.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:16 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,728,299 times
Scorp, that Driver St corridor is getting a lot of attention from the Office of Economic and Workforce Dev in terms improving the streetscape and bringing in more businesses. In my eyes, the Driver St corridor is still in it's infancy in terms of development but its coming.

As far as investing in one of the carriage homes, that's a personal preference. The area is lovely but there's work to be done. In the day time you can prolly walk the street with your dog in downtown. I work downtown near Driver St and I've women walking by themselves or with someone else during the day.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:55 PM

51 posts, read 91,599 times
I work here and just recently moved to granville county from Durham, But i really know the area well. I think that it is improving and as long as your careful, lock your doors you might be ok but just recently someone got shot in the face so be careful.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan08 View Post
I work here and just recently moved to granville county from Durham, But i really know the area well. I think that it is improving and as long as your careful, lock your doors you might be ok but just recently someone got shot in the face so be careful.

Maybe now is not the time.

Oh but that bungalow is gorgeous....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary