Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:39 AM

266 posts, read 1,052,183 times

Advertisements

to restart a practice I used to do regularly, but have slacked off on. As I am always in my car I find myself at fast food drive-throughs all too frequently. I tip the server at the window a few dollars and tell them to buy themselves lunch . It is unusual and some people are too surprised to say "thank you", but I am pretty sure these are folks that are working hard and not making much. Since I have been helped so many times by others it does seem right to pay it forward and it does make you feel human and connected again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 10:19 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I love this thread!

I always give the leftover tickets from the rides at the State Fair to someone. I try to find people with kids as I remember how it was to be on a budget!

If someone at the drive thru (like a teenager) is especially polite and goes out of their way, I give them a few dollars and tell them lunch is on me!

One day, I was at the mall, years ago, when Crabtree had gift certificates. A builder had given me $100 worth of $10 gift certificates. I walked around the mall, looking for people who were going out of their way to do something nice for someone else and I gave each one the $10 gift certificate. Hubby thought I was nuts but it was FUN!

Today I donated money to the UNC Children's Hospital (telethon on radio) because I have 4 kids that are amazingly healthy although my oldest refuses to grow up and has some "issues".

I used to always give money to Public TV because my youngest LOVED Barney! Of course, NOW she says she NEVER loved Barney! I have to remind her of the time we went to Florida so she could see Barney in person! Then I have to bring out the photos to prove it!!!

Now I am thinking...what else can I do today?

Come on...give me ideas!

Vicki

Old 11-20-2008, 12:31 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFran View Post
Now, I just have to pay it forward...lunch anyone?
And the wonderful thing about paying it forward is that it doesn't have to be lunch, it can be something entirely different to the person or people you're helping out who least expect it. It's simply a matter of infecting them with the gracious support and generosity that was instilled in your by that elderly couple. Such wise people.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary