Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:32 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,446 times

Advertisements

Curious, anyone on these message boards made a conscious decision to move from another state to the Raleigh area without a job? In other words, was employed in another state, wanted to move, and just figured they will resign from their current employment and take a leap of faith and move to Raleigh and find work.

I am planning on moving to the area within the next 2-3 years. Lately though I am seriously thinking and considering about making my move next year. Whenever I visit the Raleigh area, and do so a few times a year, I simply want to stay and not return to Miami. So it is just a matter of looking for suitable work and straightening out my finances before possibly moving.

These questions is for anyone that has actually moved with no job lined up; About how much money worth of bills and expenses did you save prior to making the move? How long did it take to find work? And how did the move turn out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 09:45 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,645,432 times
I'm sure there are a few that have, as I have seen many posts that mention moving without a job. I searched for jobs for two years before I finally got one and moved here. I am risk averse when it comes to having a steady job, so I never considered moving without having a job lined up, no matter how much I wanted to leave Miami. If it had been a few months longer, my Miami job would have been up in the air, so I can't really say what I would have done if things had gone differently.

My boyfriend moved here without a job. The industry he is in does not have much turnover here - people tend to stay put much more than they did in the same industry in FL. He applied to many jobs that he was well-qualified or over-qualified for, but did not get many call backs because a lot of the jobs had internal candidates already lined up. It took him about 10 months to finally get a full-time job, and the pay is much lower than he was hoping for. He worked part-time retail until that point, which was not nearly enough to really live off of.

I think it all depends on what you are willing to do in order to get by in a worst case scenario where you might be without a job for an extended period of time.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:57 AM

451 posts, read 1,654,177 times
Not to be rude, but this is impossible for anyone to answer.

It all depends on: what your risk profile is like, what type of job you're looking for, what type of lifestyle you have, are you buying or renting, what your savings is like.

All that said, if it's just you, and your heart is telling you to come here, then just do it. Don't be a pansy. Just do it. People find reasons why not to do things. I'll wait until I have $xxx saved up. Then it's when the kids are in x-grade. Then it's when the weather warms up. Then it's when the weather cools down. When I can sell my house. When I can buy a house. The list will never end. Be a man, or a woman, I don't care.

I wish I was like that, but I'm not. I'm a planner. I have to plan every detail. Paralysis by analysis.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:57 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,461 times
When me and Mrs. O moved here 2 1/2 years ago, it was her job offer that brought us here. I did not have a job, but managed to find part-time work to hold me over for the 3 or so months until I did find a full-time gig. We both work in higher ed/health care, so I felt reasonably confident in making the move, and in the end, it worked out pretty well.

But, I keep hearing rumblings of hiring freezes in a lot of the higher ed institutions around here, particularly but not exclusively the public universities. Maybe it's just hearsay, but I definitely wouldn't feel as confident making the move today as opposed to 2006.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:59 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
Not to be rude, but this is impossible for anyone to answer.

It all depends on: what your risk profile is like, what type of job you're looking for, what type of lifestyle you have, are you buying or renting, what your savings is like.

All that said, if it's just you, and your heart is telling you to come here, then just do it. Don't be a pansy. Just do it. People find reasons why not to do things. I'll wait until I have $xxx saved up. Then it's when the kids are in x-grade. Then it's when the weather warms up. Then it's when the weather cools down. When I can sell my house. When I can buy a house. The list will never end. Be a man, or a woman, I don't care.

I wish I was like that, but I'm not. I'm a planner. I have to plan every detail. Paralysis by analysis.

Good luck to you!
That is very, very true. I just relayed my own personal story, but it really comes down to what's going on in your own head. As someone once told me, you can always find a reason not to do something.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:03 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Curious, anyone on these message boards made a conscious decision to move from another state to the Raleigh area without a job? In other words, was employed in another state, wanted to move, and just figured they will resign from their current employment and take a leap of faith and move to Raleigh and find work.
I've moved a few times in the past 5 years, and I would definitely not recommend that approach. I would keep my job until I had another one lined up.

Aside from quelling the "urge" to move, what reason would you have to take such a big risk?

Old 11-17-2008, 10:24 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
We moved without jobs, but it was very stressful. My husband came down for a few interviews and basically they dragged their heels about hiring. We made the move though and he did get hired shortly after we moved. In this economy I think it would be very risky. But like the other poster said, it depends on your profile. Are you single, what kind of job are you looking for, are you able to do other things until your dream job comes along, do you have a savings that you can blow through? I tend to be more risky and I believe that things will always just work out, my husband is the opposite. It was hard to do what we did, we have two small kids as well. I'm not sure I would do it again, it was a difficult decision and very scary.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:10 AM

862 posts, read 3,549,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
We moved without jobs, but it was very stressful. My husband came down for a few interviews and basically they dragged their heels about hiring. We made the move though and he did get hired shortly after we moved. In this economy I think it would be very risky. But like the other poster said, it depends on your profile. Are you single, what kind of job are you looking for, are you able to do other things until your dream job comes along, do you have a savings that you can blow through? I tend to be more risky and I believe that things will always just work out, my husband is the opposite. It was hard to do what we did, we have two small kids as well. I'm not sure I would do it again, it was a difficult decision and very scary.
Sandycat's experience and how I feel are similar. I had already moved to NC while my dh worked out of state. He submitted so many resumes and applications. Most call backs went nowhere because he wasn't able to schedule an interview in two days. After two years of this, he finally had enough and resigned from his job in hopes that him being available at the drop of a hat for an interview would increase his odds of being hired. It took about three months for him to find a job he wanted even though he had some other offers he didn't take (of which I didn't agree but that's another topic). Times were tough, but we were able to weather the storm. After the adversity of our transition, I still think we made the best decision for our family as we (or should I say I as the mama bear) felt seriously trapped in NJ and nothing was improving there.

I would NOT recommend anyone doing this now. There is too much unemployment now and I'm sure job hunters are feeling the squeeze. Things are just too risky now.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:33 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
I would NOT recommend anyone doing this now. There is too much unemployment now and I'm sure job hunters are feeling the squeeze. Things are just too risky now.
I totally agree. I've lived in this area through a couple of recessions, and moving without a job lined up is NOT something anyone should be doing. Following your bliss may seem like a great idea now, but if you can't find a job for months and months, how blissful will you feel? It's getting harder & harder to find a job in almost any industry around here (with a few notable exceptions). Stay put. You can always come up here later when things get better.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:01 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,662 times
I moved here 2 years ago without a job, although I had interviewed on trips here before moving here and had interviews lined up for when I arrived. I was working within a few weeks of moving here with about a 3 month cushion. I would not recommend moving here without a job, especially in the economy we are experiencing right now. This is my opinion ofcourse. Good Luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary