Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 09:50 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times

Advertisements

My only issue is that there are not enough magnets to meet the expected growth, and that there are none in the north of the county. Yes, I have emaile dthe school board about this! Let's just say, gifted students are not a high priority right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 09:53 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
My only issue is that there are not enough magnets to meet the expected growth, and that there are none in the north of the county. Yes, I have emaile dthe school board about this! Let's just say, gifted students are not a high priority right now.
However, most base schools do offer AG programs as well (this can vary greatly by the school)...and magnet schools are not just for AG students.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Opps....meant to add that I think there should be more magnet schools as well!!

Old 02-25-2007, 10:02 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
However, most base schools do offer AG programs as well (this can vary greatly by the school)...and magnet schools are not just for AG students.

Not to dwell on our own situation too much but the "program" in our school is inadequate, & teh openings at the AG middle are limited.
Yes, programs vary. For example I know of a middle schools in Apex where 2 foreign languages are offered, as opposed to no languages being offered at Heritage!

Old 02-25-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Not to dwell on our own situation too much but the "program" in our school is inadequate, & teh openings at the AG middle are limited.
Yes, programs vary. For example I know of a middle schools in Apex where 2 foreign languages are offered, as opposed to no languages being offered at Heritage!
None at Heritage? Really...wow. Do they plan on changing this? Even WF-R offers Spanish (thought it's hard for 6th graders to get a space in the class I understand.)

The magnets do excel in the offering of languages that is for sure.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:17 AM

330 posts, read 1,976,323 times
Default Actually i meant

Hi!

Actaully i meant bussing the children across the county, maybe i didnt totally follow the original post.

Some please tell me, if a child lives in Wake Forest, does that mean there is a chance he will be bussed across the county as far as Holly Springs? Or South east Raleigh just to expose our children to other races?

Or is it if my child goes to school lives in Wake Forest he or she will go to school in Wake Forest?

Please let me know

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
What are the kids going through? From what I've seen most kids really like their schools. They dont' have problems with year around schools, some of their parents do. (Many parent like the idea and more learn to like it over their intial qualms.)

My daughter and her friends have a longer bus ride then most in the entire county (in our case, she's the first one picked up in the morning) and I've not heard her complain about it once this entire year (other then the one day it was cold the the heater went out (it was fixed the next day). Again, it's some parents that are all up in arms and threatening law suits to their children don't have to go to school with poor children.

The other poster's view of the situation is not exactly how things really are. It's a lot more complicated then simply trashing a district going through a huge amount of growth.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
Hi!

Actaully i meant bussing the children across the county, maybe i didnt totally follow the original post.

Some please tell me, if a child lives in Wake Forest, does that mean there is a chance he will be bussed across the county as far as Holly Springs? Or South east Raleigh just to expose our children to other races?

Or is it if my child goes to school lives in Wake Forest he or she will go to school in Wake Forest?

Please let me know

Thanks
No, a kid in WF will not go to Holly Springs or vice versa. It's not busing in that sense. If you live in WF there are a variety of schools that you could go to depending on where you live, but it will be a school in the area, not across the county. Bus rides for base schools can be no more then an hour, and most are much less then that.

At high school level (because there are fewer) it could be WF-R, Wakefield, Heritage High (when it opens), and if you are really in an outlaying area off to the east, it could be Knightsdale (but it's hard to consider living that far out actually to be in 'Wake Forest'...heck, if you are in the very northern parts of a WF mailing address it could be a school in a different county - which is why you have to be careful when buying that far out of town.) Magnet options would include Enloe and Broughton for the most part. (Bus rides to magnet schools can be an hour and a half. My daughter's is exactly that.)

And again.....there is no busing due to race. None, it doesn't happen. It's not even an issue, it isn't considered. It is all based on family income...and poor folk come in all colors. The goal is to keep each school with no more then 35 to 40 % who receive free and reduced lunches. Other then that, they don't care what the ethnic make up of of an individual school is.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:49 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
It isnt fair that a family with 4 kids doesnt have to pay more than someone with 1 child
I agree 100% w/ BullCityRisings comments about the statement above. I just want to add that ducter's comment above is a VERY slipper slop. I think you mentioned you had kids. Based on your reasoning, people without dependents (no kids or grown children) would not pay a school tax. What happens when you have more tax payers without dependents than with dependents. It just won't work.

I have ALWAYS felt that it was my civic duty to pay for schools. I felt this way even when I was young and thought I'd never have kids. It's corney, but those kids are our future. I want them all (not just my kids) to have the best shot so my city, county, state, and country will thrive.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:04 AM

959 posts, read 4,492,274 times
Excellent This is exactly the kind of discussion I hoped would ensue.

I am shocked to hear there are schools that don't teach foreign languages Also that there may be limited numbers of spots for gifted programs or classes Is this something they are working to resolve? Or is it something I should look into before I buy? Though it sounds like I'd have little control over which schools my children would attend even then, assuming I buy in Wake Co.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
Excellent This is exactly the kind of discussion I hoped would ensue.

I am shocked to hear there are schools that don't teach foreign languages Also that there may be limited numbers of spots for gifted programs or classes Is this something they are working to resolve? Or is it something I should look into before I buy? Though it sounds like I'd have little control over which schools my children would attend even then, assuming I buy in Wake Co.
All high schools teach languages...but I guess not all the middle schools do. Shouldn't surprize me (but it does) when I was in school, they didn't offer any until high school either.

We went to WF elementary down here and they offer in at the elementary level.

And there is some choice depending on where you buy....you just have to make sure that you are comfortable with all the schools in the area...not just one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary