Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 10:39 AM

7 posts, read 33,238 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of appartment complexes that don't due credit checks, mine is terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 10:53 AM

415 posts, read 1,109,970 times
If you're willing to do a housemate situation, you can rent a room for less than what an apartment costs, probably in a better neighborhood and roommate seekers rarely (in my experience) do a credit check.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:59 AM

67 posts, read 331,353 times
Don't know of any. With bad credit, I believe you might just have to put down a larger deposit. Or maybe once you have good references, good rental history and provide your employer info, I guess don't have to worry about your credit. But becareful, because sometimes those who do not do credit checks are not in very good neighborhoods or the management is poor or the apartment is in bad condition, so just becareful.

All the best

Old 12-03-2008, 11:06 AM

675 posts, read 1,832,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny_B View Post
If you're willing to do a housemate situation, you can rent a room for less than what an apartment costs, probably in a better neighborhood and roommate seekers rarely (in my experience) do a credit check.
Ditto that. I would look into a private renting situation, maybe a house. Sometimes those are real bargains and offer amenities you don't get with an apartment complex, like a yard and no shared walls.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:50 PM

850 posts, read 4,739,972 times
I have worked in the apartment industry in this area for 7 years and don't know of a single community that doesn't do a credit check. Now, just because you have bad credit doesn't mean you can't get a place. It largely depends on what is on your credit. For example, a landlord debt or unpaid utility bill will be more negative than a medical collection. Plus, your positive rental history, criminal history, and employment history are factored into your approval, so if you're not strong credit wise, the other areas can help you if they're satisfactory. And if that doesn't work, there's typically an option to do a deposit or co-signer. Pretty much the only thing on someone's credit that will be an almost certain denial is a debt to another landlord or previous eviction.

As others said, you could do a private landlord, but that can be tricky. With the economy the way it is right now, I'm seeing lots of private owners performing credit checks on their tenants. Private landlords also typically charge much higher deposits, usually 1 month's rent. So you'll really have to do your homework and put a lot of time and research into finding a landlord that won't do a credit check and who won't charge a high deposit. Not saying they're not out there, but they will be hard to find.

Good luck whatever you do. And don't be so quick to discount apartments that do credit checks. With the economy right now, many communities have lowered their standards and are letting people in that they wouldn't have a few years ago!

Old 12-03-2008, 11:20 PM

484 posts, read 1,367,040 times
Default bad credit

If I were you, I would call some apts and ask them what is the highest deposit really bad credit would need. Some places do something different now, you purchase a bond through a bond company with them and it is less money than a huge deposit to put down believe it or not, the thing is if you do it that way, I don't think you get a security deposit back if you move at the end of your lease, but if you find a place you really like, you could stay there years I suppose.

You could as other suggested rent a room, or rent a place from a private owner, but be very careful if you do.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:00 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,776 times
There was an apt complex in Cary that was offering apartment living even with bad credit. I think they were trying to offer up housing for people who fell victim to foreclosure. I saw their ad on craigslist.

Actually, I have a room that I have for rent. I for one, do NOT due credit checks nor do I charge a deposit. I do however, do a criminal background check which in my opinion, is more important than credit. I also have my tenants sign an "agreement" (not a lease) stating that they understand that they have to pay their rent by a certain day or their things will be on the curb. I have never had a problem under those circumstances!

Old 12-04-2008, 09:22 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Many landlords will work with you if you tell them of your problem before applying.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:19 AM

516 posts, read 1,887,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Many landlords will work with you if you tell them of your problem before applying.
Ditto that - just happened with me, with my dismal 560 FICO.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:45 PM

7 posts, read 33,238 times
Thank you all for the suggestions!! It has been very helpful. I think I will check out aptments first and just be upfront about it. Most of my credit issues stem from student loans and emergency room fees. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary