Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 20,016 times

Advertisements

Please help I am 31 year old male professional, and i currently live in Roanoke virginia. i am looking to move with work to either Atlanta Georgia, or Raleigh NC. I know a little about atlanta, but not much at all about Raleigh. I am extremely active in the gym and a very conservative but hip christian. I am at the next stage in my life and would like to find a mate who has similar beliefs. I know that they are a lot of powerhouse chrisitan leaders in Atlanta, but again i know nothing about the raleigh durham area. If raleigh is hip where would be the best place for someone my age to live(rent) price not being a factor......thanks for any help you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 01:32 PM

447 posts, read 1,717,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybandit29 View Post
Please help I am 31 year old male professional, and i currently live in Roanoke virginia. i am looking to move with work to either Atlanta Georgia, or Raleigh NC. I know a little about atlanta, but not much at all about Raleigh. I am extremely active in the gym and a very conservative but hip christian. I am at the next stage in my life and would like to find a mate who has similar beliefs. I know that they are a lot of powerhouse chrisitan leaders in Atlanta, but again i know nothing about the raleigh durham area. If raleigh is hip where would be the best place for someone my age to live(rent) price not being a factor......thanks for any help you can give me.
If you move to Raleigh and want the Atlanta experience the best bet is to get a place inside the beltline, probably in the 5 Points, Glenwood South or Cameron Village areas. I am a heathen though so I am not too sure about the Christian aspects, I know I see plenty of churches blur by me when I drive home from the bars.

All joking aside there are tons of churches all around and you will have no problem finding one that fits your needs. Raleigh is not Atlanta though, as bad as people want to make it out to be. I would consider is Atlanta light, smaller, more conservative and a better cost of living.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:09 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybandit29 View Post
Hey brah. We're in the same age bracket.

Well, Atlanta is bigger so they have more powerhouse christian leaders, but they're a few in Raleigh and Durham. A hip place to live for Raliegh I think would be in downtown and the same for Durham. This is a great place to find a mate if you're involved in your church as a lot of people in this area are church going folk. I like my church in Durham. I'm thinking about getting involved in some of the church activities........so they're lots of opportunities.

The cost of renting in Raleigh Durham is about the same as it is in Atlanta, at least it was two months ago when I was looking to move to ATL. You can't go wrong either way. I do think that working out at a gym is a bigger activity in Atlanta than it is here in Raleigh Durham............at least from what I've seen, being the avid gym goer myself.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:53 PM

414 posts, read 1,277,145 times
Not saying Raleigh isn't a wonderful place, it is, but I would think that if you like Atlanta, you may also want to consider Charlotte, if work allows you to obviously. It probably resembles Atlanta more than Raleigh does.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:40 PM

7 posts, read 22,254 times
Smile 20 years in Atlanta, 20 years in Cary

I was raised in the suburbs of Atlanta and felt it was the ONLY place to live growing up there. However, I have moved a few times since then due to marriage and relocation of husband's work. We have lived in Cary now for over 20 years. Here's what I think about both - Atlanta has a lot to offer, but the traffic is AWFUL and more and more people are having to move farther out from the city to get affordable housing and, therefore, they end up with commutes that are long in both time and patience in the traffic. I finally persuaded my parents to move from Atlanta to this area and they had lived there their entire adult lives. This area gives more of a southern hospitality feel - in my opinion. People are courteous and you can get just about anywhere in 20 - 30 minutes. Since this area has diversified businesses, we are not dependent upon any one industry. This is one of the largest areas of single people and there are many, many churches here. There are some great gyms - I personally love Lifetime Fitness in Cary and you should check it out if you come for a visit. I would certainly recommend that you visit both places before making a decision. I am a realtor and would be happy to answer any specific questions that you might have. We have raised our family here and think it's a great place to live - 4 hours to the mountains and 2 hours from the beach! This area has a lot to offer and I would never want to move back to Atlanta, although I do miss the shopping! If I can be of any help to you, you can write me back.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:48 PM

3 posts, read 20,016 times
Thanks for the help you guys. I will definitely let you know if i decide to move to raleigh. i would probably be looking for a house in about three years....

Old 12-11-2008, 07:58 AM

166 posts, read 411,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy Russ View Post
I was raised in the suburbs of Atlanta and felt it was the ONLY place to live growing up there. However, I have moved a few times since then due to marriage and relocation of husband's work. We have lived in Cary now for over 20 years. Here's what I think about both - Atlanta has a lot to offer, but the traffic is AWFUL and more and more people are having to move farther out from the city to get affordable housing and, therefore, they end up with commutes that are long in both time and patience in the traffic. I finally persuaded my parents to move from Atlanta to this area and they had lived there their entire adult lives. This area gives more of a southern hospitality feel - in my opinion. People are courteous and you can get just about anywhere in 20 - 30 minutes. Since this area has diversified businesses, we are not dependent upon any one industry. This is one of the largest areas of single people and there are many, many churches here. There are some great gyms - I personally love Lifetime Fitness in Cary and you should check it out if you come for a visit. I would certainly recommend that you visit both places before making a decision. I am a realtor and would be happy to answer any specific questions that you might have. We have raised our family here and think it's a great place to live - 4 hours to the mountains and 2 hours from the beach! This area has a lot to offer and I would never want to move back to Atlanta, although I do miss the shopping! If I can be of any help to you, you can write me back.
where in subs in Atlanta did you live? I hear North Atlanta is very nice. Like Buford, Suwanee etc..

Old 12-11-2008, 09:20 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy Russ View Post
Here's what I think about both - Atlanta has a lot to offer, but the traffic is AWFUL and more and more people are having to move farther out from the city to get affordable housing and, therefore, they end up with commutes that are long in both time and patience in the traffic. I finally persuaded my parents to move from Atlanta to this area and they had lived there their entire adult lives. This area gives more of a southern hospitality feel - in my opinion. People are courteous and you can get just about anywhere in 20 - 30 minutes. Since this area has diversified businesses, we are not dependent upon any one industry. This is one of the largest areas of single people and there are many, many churches here. There are some great gyms - I personally love Lifetime Fitness in Cary and you should check it out if you come for a visit. I would certainly recommend that you visit both places before making a decision. I am a realtor and would be happy to answer any specific questions that you might have.
I don't live in Atlanta or Raleigh, but because I was considering both cities, I thought I would reiterate the point about traffic. I live in Chicago and the traffic here is awful, which is one reason I want to relocate. I knew it was bad before I moved here, but I underestimated just how much it would impact quality of life. I was naive in thinking that it would just mean longer commutes to and from work. But that's only part of it. Because everyone wants to live close to downtown, they push up housing prices, forcing the rest of us to live far away from the city, just like what's happening in Atlanta. It also impacts your social life. You can't drive as far in a given amount of time so you're limited on who you can date or be friends with. And obviously, the extra driving increases wear and tear on your car. Lastly, it'll affect your mood. After sitting in my car for an hour, I'm not feeling very friendly. People in Chicago can be pretty crabby. You won't find much southern hospitality up here and I don't blame them given how bad the traffic and cost-of-living is. So I would strongly discourage you from moving to Atlanta. The traffic alone was reason enough for me to cross it off my list.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:38 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
I've always heard that Charlotte is a lot closer to Atlanta (both literally and in "style") than Raleigh, too.

The Triangle is getting there, as more and more population creates more sprawl->more traffic. You might at least look into Charlotte if something "Atlanta-like" is what you seek. Charlotte is also QUITE a bit more conservative culturally than Ral/Durh/CH, although I'm very curious what you mean by "a very conservative but hip christian"!

Old 12-13-2008, 07:19 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,026 times
Since you said you are looking for a conservative christian area, I would suggest the Atlanta suburbs. Very conservative (especially Fayette County).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary