Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:23 AM

324 posts, read 1,285,761 times

Advertisements

Tampa Red check out homes in 27703 Moderator cut: removed, depending on your budget Ravenstone or Brightleaf, and many others in that general area. Also check out this thread for one of the communities in this area:
KB Communities: Ravenstone and Stone Hill in Durham

Last edited by autumngal; 02-08-2008 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: to comply with TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 08:31 AM

319 posts, read 1,478,984 times
Did you get to check out 27704? That's my zip code. I live 10 minutes away from 9th street off of Stadium and Carver Street. I went with a local builder, Cimarron Homes. I also looked at homes in Eno Trace. They seem to fit your criteria and have a mix of grad families in the community.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:32 AM

161 posts, read 762,025 times
We've actually been looking in Durham too. Mostly 27713 and 27707. Depending on what your needs are (as far as home layout, lot size, etc), you can find some nice homes in your range.

As for schools, you probably do want to take this into consideration especially since you are not looking at this as a long term residence. When the time comes, you'll want to have an easier selling experience. Selling a home with good schools is a better option than selling a home with not so good schools. Keep in mind the areas being recommended are in a "growth" area and have the potential for increased value over time too. Which is always a positive.

I can't vouch for the school systems other than my reserach and what other people have advised, but the list of schools provided in one of the earlier posts are considered some of the best schools in Durham.

Good luck!

Old 02-05-2008, 09:56 AM

959 posts, read 4,493,817 times
Wow I wrote the above post a really long time ago. I've since learned so much more about the Durham school system. The schools that appear to be the best schools are of course the ones with higher average scores, but that is often just reflecting the socioeconomic makeup of the neighborhoods they pull from. There are also several elementary schools with great reputations in the North, West, and Northwest of the city, and Durham has a liberaly transfer policy where your child can move to any school on a first come first served basis. There are many public magnets as well - two Montesssoris, one specializing in the humanities, another on international affairs with daily classes in Spanish, English, or Mandarin Chinese, year round options... Southwest is a neighborhood school but has a really neat Spanish immersion program. They do half the instruction in each language.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:47 AM

39 posts, read 92,307 times
check out 27703 and 27701 zip codes for housing close to Duke

Old 02-07-2008, 09:34 PM

185 posts, read 687,078 times
So, single no kids looking for small, funky or needs work home rather than new.

Is that attainable in Oak Grove? I seem to have a rough neighborhood between where I want to be (near Duke, 9th and east neighborhoods if possible) and where I might find work (Oak Grove).

EDIT It looks like some great values on houses, but kind of suburban. It's fun to poke around, though. I enjoyed my short trip recently and am gung ho for Durham.

Hopefully I can land a job soon after I graduate in July.

Last edited by Tampa Red; 02-07-2008 at 10:08 PM..

Old 02-07-2008, 10:54 PM

39 posts, read 92,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Red View Post
Bump for more suggestions please. Just visited Durham for the first time and I love it.

I'd love to live near 9th, but job wise it looks like Downtown (Main Library) or Oak grove (east).

Also curious about affordable near falls lake. Thanks.
Check out the list of neighborhood associations (http://www.ci.durham.nc.us/departmen...od_contact.pdf). The 9th St. area falls into the Old West Neighborhood Association. John Schelp is the president.

He might have some direction for available housing in that vicinity. Great neighborhood. Great restaurants and coffee in the area too.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:22 AM

16 posts, read 44,704 times
I recommend looking at houses in neighborhoods off of moreene rd, just west of duke or in American village back behind there. We have a house around there about 1 mile from duke that we lived in and are now renting to grad students. Nice, quiet, safe and cheap would qualify, plus you can walk on the miles duke forest trails for free! It's easy to get on 147 or 85 right there and get to anywhere in the triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary