Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2008, 06:43 AM

12 posts, read 96,356 times

Advertisements

I am starting a job at the Duke Medical Center next summer and wanted to get thoughts on where to live. I'm male, single, and looking to rent an apartment/condo. Suggestions on areas to live or even specific complexes would be appreciated. I've been going through the Duke University housing survey, but it doesn't have much specific information on the complexes.

Coming from Los Angeles, I'm used to commuting 45-50 minutes, but it would be a nice change of pace to get to and from work in under 15 minutes.

All I need is a 1 BR/BA, but the extra room of a 2 BR/1-2BA would be nice for a study/office if the price was within my budget. I'm looking at a range of $800-1000 (including parking), but less would be nice.

My "must haves" are covered/garage parking and in-unit washer/dryer. I don't know what the heating/AC standards are over there, but it should have both as well.

Pluses would be newer construction (<10 years), secured garage, secured entry with buzzer, indoor hallways, dishwasher, but these aren't mandatory. It would be also nice to be in an area with other young professionals, but this isn't as important to me as the other things I've listed.

Thanks so much for your input! These boards have been very useful so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 06:48 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
Check out West Village and Station 9. You would be able to walk from Station 9 to Duke Med! There are also some nice new condos (not sure if any are rentals) popping up on Erwin Rd. right down from the hospital.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:18 PM

147 posts, read 471,505 times
Quote:
secured garage, secured entry with buzzer
You've never been to Durham have you? It is very different than L.A. You can rent a house for 1000 -1200. Don't limit your search to the criteria above or you will miss out on much better places.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:31 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
memorytheatre makes a very good point. Another place you might consider is the American Tobacco Campus; I believe they have some apartments there and that's a great area.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:30 AM

12 posts, read 96,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memorytheatre View Post
You've never been to Durham have you? It is very different than L.A. You can rent a house for 1000 -1200. Don't limit your search to the criteria above or you will miss out on much better places.
I'm sorry, but the tone of your reply seems somewhat condescending, and it's like you didn't even read my message.

No, I have not spent much time in Durham and obviously it is much different from LA. I didn't think it would be unreasonable to consider an extra safety measure, especially seeing that burglary/larceny is the most common crime.

Although a house may work for some people, I have no interest in one. Sorry for having a clear vision of what I am looking for in a place to live. Thanks for your input, though.

Thank you for your suggestions, mpd_az. I will have to look into those places.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:33 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,809 times
I would look at the new development in Stonewater. They have an apartment complexe (new) and is an EZ commute to Durham. I do not know what the cost is though. It is located near the Cary/Durham county line.

I don't think they have garages or interior hallways though - if you are worried about a security issue, I don't think it would be an issue in this location.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:45 AM

321 posts, read 1,577,066 times
I think you would really like the feel of West Village or American Tobacco campus. They are converted tobacco warehouses, very modern decor and very good quality. If I was still a single girl around here I would definitely be living there. I, too, work at Duke Medical Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary