Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 07:05 AM

328 posts, read 767,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post

I do have to make a response to a previous posters comments on signage. As much as it can make it a little difficult to find a location without the big signage, I much prefer not having it. I think that the area looks much better and more natural without a big billboard stating "Bubba Haven next right. All the chicken & grits you can eat for only $3.49". I would much rather see the nice trees, rather than the billboards.
This thread has been revived and I am halfway through reading it but wanted to respond.

I avoid Cary as much as possible. If you aren't from the area, and you're driving alone, you have to make some dangerous decisions to look around.

"Was that a Burger King or a Wendy's? I don't know, hmm, well now I have passed it. Maybe something else is up ahead that I won't be able to identify in a jiffy and I'll miss that too. I guess I am not that hungry after all."

I understand the trees are beautiful and I agree there shouldn't be billboards, but regular signs that are easy to see, heck yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 07:11 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Do all civil engineers finish last in their class????

Old 06-09-2012, 08:54 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Do all civil engineers finish last in their class????
Definitely not , Civil is pretty difficult at most schools. Of course often times, dollars trump a good design. Roads cost money and take away from rentable space for buildings.

Also people tend to react in ways not entirely predictable by models, both short term like which way to leave a shopping center and long term like preferring one place over another to live or shop which can affect how well a design works over time. Wake Tech was put where it is because someone did extensive studies in the early 60s and determined that would be the population center of Wake Co in the late 90s. Things didn't work out quite like they planned.

At Crossroads itself, the changes they made a few years back with additional lights and reworking some of the intersections seemed to have helped quite a bit IMO.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:51 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,844 times
A bit off topic but I wanted to mention that the roads at Park West Village are awesome. Traffic on 54 can get a little hairy at rush hour, but the shopping center is directly accessible from three major roads, all of which come from completely different directions: Morrisville Parkway, Cary Parkway, and NC54. What a breeze!

Old 06-09-2012, 11:16 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
A bit off topic but I wanted to mention that the roads at Park West Village are awesome. Traffic on 54 can get a little hairy at rush hour, but the shopping center is directly accessible from three major roads, all of which come from completely different directions: Morrisville Parkway, Cary Parkway, and NC54. What a breeze!
I agree. I live in Cary, near High House and Davis. Between Park West Village, Stone Creek and Beaver Creek and Apex, I (almost) never go to Crossroads. Hate maneuvering around in there though, I must admit, on occasion, something evil inside draws me to DSW where I do some major damage.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:04 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
We went to the movies in Crossroads Thursday night.

Can't even see the theater from the road for lack of signs.

Internal road from the theater to Walnut St at Pier 1 Imports is black as pitch.

Crossroads grew piecemeal and it really shows. Add that to Cary's sign laws, and it's good to avoid.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:21 PM

515 posts, read 1,716,947 times
Was 10 times worse prior to putting in the fly away bridge

Old 06-09-2012, 05:32 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Still don't understand why Meeting Street only goes into the mall at Caitbo. Why not have a lane coming out as well?
I've also been wondering about that. First time we went to that center it was, unfortunately, dark and we almost gave up finding the way to Bed Bath and Beyond. It took several trips (due to my husband's attachment to Best Buy) to figure out how to avoid Walnut St. exit but still I only go to DSW and take the "back roads".

I love Pier One but that store is just friggin' impossible to get to and there is hardly any parking (the store itself is very cramped as well).

Some signs to direct traffic to Caitboo and Dillard as an alternative exit would be very helpfull. Also if there was exit to US 1 South that would be even better.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:42 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
I've also been wondering about that. First time we went to that center it was, unfortunately, dark and we almost gave up finding the way to Bed Bath and Beyond. It took several trips (due to my husband's attachment to Best Buy) to figure out how to avoid Walnut St. exit but still I only go to DSW and take the "back roads".
Not that long ago Meeting St wasn't one-way at the intersection with Caitboo. It didn't work all that great though and they eliminated it around the time they added the third lane on Walnut street, I believe. At busy times traffic would back up on the mall side of Meeting St and block the access to the parking areas. People entering the mall wanting to park would then get stuck trying to get in to park causing in-bound traffic get backed up into the intersection. Not to mention, by only having lights facing three directions the lights are better synchronized with those on Walnut St. While it is still a pain, that intersection was a much bigger CF before they made that part of Meeting one-way.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:17 AM

18,099 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Even with a GPS I find navigating Crossroads so obnoxious that I avoid it at all costs. You get in one wrong lane and that's it. Stores like BB&B are difficult to find. If it's not the worst designed mall, it surely is in the top 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary