Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 05:20 PM

451 posts, read 1,653,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinssmell View Post
I mean i'm not lookin to cut lose and go wild, but i'd at least like to enjoy some sort of nightlife . . . Mayb try a differeent state, go inland to Tennessee or somwhere like that?
What about St. Petersburg/Tampa, Florida? I like St. Pete, right on the water, great beaches, nightlife. I could see myself - 10 years, a wife, and 3 kids ago - hanging out there for a summer. Lots of Hotties. Maybe ask about it on a City Data St. Pete/Tampa forum (if there is one).

Oh! Kansas! Definitely go to Kansas. Just kidding.

Since you have a bit of time, set up a website with several vacation options. Have people vote on-line to where you should go. Contact the local cities Chamber of Commerce, do some marketing, and the cities will be begging for you and the publicity. They'll probably give you free housing and food. Offer to blog about your stay there, have adds for their local restaurants, etc., do food reviews. Now it's sounding more like work than a vacation, but you get the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 07:02 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Chapel Hill is better in the summer - less annoying college kids, all the same good bars and restaurants!

Old 12-18-2008, 12:37 AM

14 posts, read 24,555 times
In North Carolina Id say Wilmington b/c its more lively more things to do and the beach.. but personally id go to Florida its mad fun there so many things to see and do

Old 12-18-2008, 03:56 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Hmmmm so would the town be worth living in during the summer for a 22 yr old student from Ireland...I mean i'm not lookin to cut lose and go wild, but i'd at least like to enjoy some sort of nightlife!

And yeah the irish flock to myrtle beach in the summer, and thats what i'm looking to avoid. If you guys wouldnt be keen on CH in the summer, were would you think is my best bet? Mayb try a differeent state, go inland to Tennessee or somwhere like that?
I understand what you are asking about having a lot of other Irish students in the area in the summer. I hail from Rhodae Island and Block Island, RI is teeming with Irish students working and playing there in the summer.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:35 AM

39 posts, read 85,773 times
Hmmmm thanks for all the imput guys...I have a friend who's looking at florida, i've heard it rains a lot during the summer there tho. I have also already spent a summer in california, and i thought flordia mite just be really similar, while i'm looking for a new experience. If you guys where to pick anywhere in the us to spend a summer, where would u head too?

And yeah ljd1010 there are thousands of Irish head up that direction and all over new york and boston too during summer. I dont really see the point myself cause if u wanted to hang with irish all summer u cud just stay home..

Old 12-18-2008, 05:42 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,406 times
Quote:
If you guys where to pick anywhere in the us to spend a summer, where would u head to?
What are you looking for? What do you like/want to do? Hang at a beach? Outdoors stuff - hiking, biking? What amount of time - 3 months? Type of budget (i.e. budget or unlimited)? This will help everyone out - including you.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:53 AM

Yeah ok good idea i shud have specified...It'll be for like 3 months, i'm looking to work (perhaps in an irish bar since i'm a barman out here), I love the beach and live by one here, but it isn't a must have really. I love sports, i play soccer and would love to join a team out there. Hiking and biking is cool, but i dont have to have it. I would like a decent night life, doesnt have to be crazy cause despite being irish i'm not a drunk. I do have a budget, would be looking to rent a room in an aprtment or house.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:55 AM

Oh and also i'm not looking to go where other irish ppl go, or even the main party spots in america. I'd like to go somewhere were being irish is still a novelty to the ppl and mayb the ladies dont mind the accent as cheesy as that may be haha. I'd prefer "the real american" experience, rather than sittin on a beach in cali again!

Old 12-18-2008, 07:35 AM

39 posts, read 104,538 times
Quote:
Oh and also i'm not looking to go where other irish ppl go, or even the main party spots in america. I'd like to go somewhere were being irish is still a novelty to the ppl and mayb the ladies dont mind the accent as cheesy as that may be haha. I'd prefer "the real american" experience, rather than sittin on a beach in cali again!
Based on above I think CH is a great place. I personally think Myrtle Beach and FL are gross. If you want to get drunk and laid, then they are a good option, but for a better American experience, I would choose CH. There are Irish in the Triangle, just find a pub and you will be hooked into the network. CH's nightlife is still lively in the summer.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:06 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,601,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
There used to be an Irish bar, with Irish working in it, in CH on Franklin St, but I don't know its fate as the last time I saw it it was shuttered. Thats where I met all my Irish friends in CH.

Considering the Irish generally look normal, they'd fit in while visiting CH. Actually, even if they didn't look normal, they'd fit in. CH has something for everyone.
I think you are thinking of -> W B Yeats Irish Pub & Restaurant

Restaurant Row - Restaurant Detail

I was there for St. Patty's Day this year. Great Craic had by all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary