Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:31 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
We've never eaten there
Why not? Their homemade crackers and cheese are incredible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 05:29 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,157,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
That looks like a great place to take my baby!
yeah, beer and guns are good for people of all ages!

Old 12-20-2008, 07:03 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,562,426 times
Last Chistmas my daughter took me here tell me she was having a baby. The Angus Barn is special to me. Now I have a 3 1/2 old month Grandson. It's worth the trip. You may get a surprise too. :-)

Merry Christmas

Old 12-20-2008, 07:10 AM

306 posts, read 1,136,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
Why not? Their homemade crackers and cheese are incredible!
..and in these tough economic times its relevant to point out that they are free!

Draft beer in the Angus Barn is pretty limited, and its served in a pretty small glass. One of the few drawbacks of this classy restaurant.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:19 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,913,640 times
I've been to the Angus Barn twice.

First time was for a private dinner in one of the two wine cellar rooms, replete with our own sommelier/bartender and waiter just for our group of 20 our so. Four course meal, each with its own wine; we were there over 3 hours and had a wonderful, wonderful time. The wife and I agreed it was the finest dining experience overall we've ever had.

The second time was, well, ehh. It was a few weeks back, on a busy weekend night. We saw the Christmas decorations, which were beautiful and would be great for kids. The crackers and cheese were also very good!

The first knock was that we were seated 30 minutes past our reservation time (we arrived 15 mins. before our reservation), though the staff were extremely gracious and kind about the situation -- and in fairness, being a weekend night before the holidays, we could completely understand. They offered us a free appetizer, which we declined.

We each got a steak, which was itself well prepared and good. The salads and side dishes weren't anything to write home about, though, and the service and kitchen experience was a bit checkered, with a table next to us that ordered concurrently to us receiving their entrees and finishing them before ours arrived. The waiter also seemed distracted, though very pleasant.

If this sounds like a half-hearted bad review -- well, it was a fine meal out, but not what I would have expected from Angus Barn. Compared to our usual nice haunts (Watts Grocery, Rue Cler, the occasional Magnolia Grill trip), it certainly didn't match up on a price/value perspective. We'd go there again for a wine cellar visit any day -- or to check out the Christmas decorations -- but not again for a regular dining room experience.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:33 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,048,395 times
Default reply

i have eaten at the Barn well over 100 times in my life and have never had anything short of excellent service and food. you don't thrive for 48 years without being good. Anyone going to AB during the holiday season should expect to wait beyond their reservation time. Thats fine with me as i will be up in the Wild Turkey Lounge sipping Maker's Mark on the rocks.

Last edited by uncletupelo; 12-20-2008 at 12:49 PM..

Old 12-20-2008, 12:35 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,398 times
Went there for a Christmas dinner last week for work. Was great! That was the first time I have been there. We started out at the Wild Turkey Lounge and then made it down for dinner. mmm! I wouldn't mind a chess pie right about now!

Old 12-04-2009, 05:05 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
I went once with a big corporate group, and it was a lot of fun.

Another time I bought a gift certificate for a friend/co-worker and his wife, and he insisted we go with them. I don't remember what day of the week it was, but I'd never seen so many screaming little kids in an upscale restaurant. It was in a room with hay bales. So bringing a baby wouldn't be so out of the ordinary.

The bar in NRG's pics looks wonderful. I love NRG's joie de vivre.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 12-04-2009 at 05:39 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 05:36 PM

932 posts, read 3,096,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
That looks like a great place to take my baby!
I'm in with my 4 and 5 year old! Those are beautiful shots.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:41 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
Yes, nothing like a bar for infants and small children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
I'm in with my 4 and 5 year old! Those are beautiful shots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary