Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2007, 06:09 PM

237 posts, read 1,029,361 times

Advertisements

We are eyeing a house that has a slight incline on the drivway. Up here in the Northeast, that kind of lot seems to feel more prestigious (not sure that is the exact word I want to use but you get my drift). Just curious if that is how things are viewed in the south. Is it beneficial to be on an incline considering there are no basements?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 06:21 PM

374 posts, read 1,598,327 times
I don't like too much of an incline because I am coming from chicago and I keep thinking how treacherous it will be in the ice and snow....LOL. But that is probably not a problem i need to consider. I also dont like it for the fact that the kids can slide right out into traffic on their bikes maybe.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:33 PM

546 posts, read 2,417,076 times
We have an inclined driveway and there is a no biking/blading etc rule but we have a blast when there is snow! I don't think there is any positive or negative to it.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:12 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,410 times
My neighborhood has a couple of homes that "sit up on a hill" and have a long driveway at an incline, I honestly think it is personal taste. The weather (snow/ice) just isn't prevalent enough to have that factor in the decision. For me, we ruled those houses out because we have little kids and I wanted them to be able to ride bikes, etc on the driveway.

The people who bought them liked the idea of being on top of the hill.

As a real estate agent though, I have a house listed with a "slight" incline and about a third of the comment have been "driveway too steep". So, it seems like many people out there do not like steep driveways. When my old neighbors sold their house with a steep drive, they had about half of the people comment on it as a deal breaker for them to buy the house.

Just food for thought

Leigh

Old 03-03-2007, 07:13 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,023 times
You mean like this?

http://leenks.com/gallery499.htm

I have no idea where this is...I just saw it on the internet a couple of weeks ago. Some of the driveways in my community are almost like this though.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:08 PM

374 posts, read 1,598,327 times
OMG now that is steep. I saw several similar to this in Raleigh a few weeks ago.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:40 PM

959 posts, read 4,492,718 times
Sheesh, my husband's little work car could never make it up that

Old 03-03-2007, 10:22 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe

As a real estate agent though, I have a house listed with a "slight" incline and about a third of the comment have been "driveway too steep". So, it seems like many people out there do not like steep driveways. When my old neighbors sold their house with a steep drive, they had about half of the people comment on it as a deal breaker for them to buy the house.
I totally agree. When my wife and I were looking to buy we were turned off by several homes that had too steep of an incline. In some cases the home was up on a steep hill and in others the house was down a steep incline. It was definitely a deal breaker for us. In the end we did get a home on a slight hill with a bit of an inclined driveway, but not too steep....it is about as steep as I would go. That being said, we are on the corner of the street and I do enjoy being at a bit of a higher elevation becasue when I am sitting is the upstairs bedrooms all I can see looking out the windows in the nice blue sky instead of stairing directly across the street at another house.

Bottom line, I personally would not buy a house with an extremly steep driveway. Slight incline ok, but anything more than that is a negative to me. I think nice level lots are more appealing to most buyers.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:39 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,665,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headinsouth View Post
We are eyeing a house that has a slight incline on the drivway. Up here in the Northeast, that kind of lot seems to feel more prestigious (not sure that is the exact word I want to use but you get my drift). Just curious if that is how things are viewed in the south. Is it beneficial to be on an incline considering there are no basements?
When we moved my husband insisted on a flat driveway. (We each has a list of 'must haves' and 'would be willing to compromise on' - the driveway was on his 'must have' list).

Anyway....I didn't understand why, we passed on several very nice homes that I loved because of it and I tried to talk him out of it.

LOL...then came the first ice storm. The neighbor across the street whose driveway is at upward incline couldn't get her Mustang into the garage. She ended up parking on the street and walking up next to the drive way in the grass in stocking feet because she couldn't walk up an icy driveway in her heels.

Two doors down (on my side of the street) they had a downward sloping driveway.....that same ice storm they hit their garage door when they couldn't stop in time on the ice (though if they had opened the door first they should have been able to stop once on dry concrete.)

I am very happy we have a flat driveway and bow in my husband's general direction over insisting we have one.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:56 AM

98 posts, read 637,153 times
we also found several beautiful new homes but were put off by the fact that the driveways were too steep - main issue wasn't the steepness but the fact that they were short and steep. It amazes me that the developer didn't realise that when they did the plans and moved the house back 10 foot to give a better approach when driving up to the garage.

On checking with the Wake County records web site we saw that these houses had been completed a year earlier and it would appear that all other potential buyers had similar issues as we did regarding the steepness of the drive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary