Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 10:11 AM

24 posts, read 158,739 times

Advertisements

What about areas north of Durham such as Bahama, Rougemont or Timberlake? I never see any mention of these areas. I believe they are more rural but are they still considered desirable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 10:15 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBound46 View Post
What about areas north of Durham such as Bahama, Rougemont or Timberlake? I never see any mention of these areas. I believe they are more rural but are they still considered desirable?
My boss lives in Rougemont and a few co-workers live in Timberlake. They have a longer commute then I do coming from the opposite direction.

I don't get the feeling that these are bad places, they are just not considered part of the Triangle to be honest. (Though parts of Rougemont are in Durham county.)

Rural....further away from things....great option if you don't want Wake/Chapel Hill/Orange county schools, don't mind a long drive for most things and have a job in the northern areas of the Triangle.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:25 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Desdemona hit it on the head. These are *really* pretty rural areas, albeit a close-ish (30-45 mins) drive to Durham and RTP. Very tight-knit communities with families going back generations.

The regional planning (cross-governmental) org. for Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro predicts pretty significant population growth in the next 30 years on the portions of northern Durham county that are east of US 501 (the highway leading to Roxboro), particularly off the I-85 corridor. I would expect to see Bahama and Rougemont fight development to the teeth (good for them!), so who knows what will actually happen. The western parts of northern Durham County are projected to have almost no population growth, largely because these back up against the Eno River and development is heavily restricted there.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:26 PM

Thank you for your response. As I am looking to retire and my children are grown commuting and schools are not a concern. Sounds like the kind of areas worth looking into. From what I see there are some new homes and the prices are very reasonable.

I was just interested in hearing from someone familiar with the areas as sometimes when things seem too good, there is usually a reason. But these areas sound good just out of the way for most people.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:48 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Quote:
Thank you for your response. As I am looking to retire and my children are grown commuting and schools are not a concern. Sounds like the kind of areas worth looking into. From what I see there are some new homes and the prices are very reasonable.

I was just interested in hearing from someone familiar with the areas as sometimes when things seem too good, there is usually a reason. But these areas sound good just out of the way for most people.
I'd say if you were looking for a picturesque place to retire that's close to city amenities (shopping, dining, etc.) and great hospitals, it'd be tough to beat. Also worth looking at Orange County and southern Person County (just to the north of Durham County -- Roxboro, NC is the county seat.)

Old 03-05-2007, 05:09 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
Check out Hillsborough too. Very picturesque and convenient to Durham, Chapel Hill. I have taken clients out there, that have loved that area.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:37 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times
You're right then to think of northern Durham County first...it is amazing how much land up there is still so rural, considering its proximity to the major Triangle cities. (Hope that lasts!)

Old 03-06-2007, 10:36 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
I live in Oxford, NC which is about 15 west of Roxboro. It is beautiful, peaceful and quiet here. We just moved last year because we wanted some land. The only thing that I don't like is the grocery stores. I have to do all my shopping in Durham at Whole Foods, Costco and Kroger because our stores are filthy and carry NO organic or all natural products. It's only a 35 minute drive so I don't mind. This summer we'll be able to grow everything ourselves in the garden anyway.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:22 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,803 times
Quote:

North Durham is a beautiful area with some great housing values, and close proximity to any daily shopping. The reason it seems to good to be true, is so many people still have the wrong idea about Durham. I grew up in Chapel Hill, and recently bought some land to build a home and raise my family here.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:49 AM

The more I check out this area, the more impressed I am.

Look forward to hearing from anyone who has first-hand knowledge of either Bahama, Rougemont or Timberlake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary