Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Cary promoters: bragging, preemptive defensiveness, stereotypes, Chapel Hill schools

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:46 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,023,401 times

Advertisements

Yes, it happened. I drove through Cary this morning and pulled up to a stop sign . A small boy at the corner, before stepping out into the crosswalk, looked both ways and then crossed quickly when he was certain it was safe. Cary parents should be proud that your children are so intelligent!!

Would you all please give it a freaking rest??? I am sick and tired (and I do not believe I am alone here) of reading thread after thread of praise. A kid eats his vegetables in Cary and we hear about it. Some obscure ranking comes out and we hear about it. Sure, certain things belong here and are great pieces of information, but I think there's a good likelihood that if a little boy puts the toilet seat down after using the restroom in a public Cary park, we might hear about it here. People here wonder why there is such a negative backlash against many of the Cary promoters and the answer is this: nobody likes a bragger.

I'm not even saying that Cary is worth bragging over (not saying it isn't either, but it's subjective!) but regardless of whether the boasting is founded or not in others' opinions, nobody likes it.

I don't know if I have ever witnessed such a phenomenon before...it's like pre-emptive defensiveness...almost a small-man's complex, going out of one's way to be noticed to the point of being obnoxious.

Everyone is naturally going to be partial to their own decisions - if you decided to spend 400k on a home in Cary, that's a huge decision, and one that you've put a lot of thought in to. Naturally, you are going to think you made the best call and that's great - say so when people ask where they should consider to live...but posting new threads left and right saying "we're number one!" or "we're one of the best this's or that's" just gets abrasive after a while.

If we all go through the pages of this board and find the number of threads started with the sole express purpose of boasting, I promise you Cary leads the charge by a longshot.

Why is this? I'm sure that certain Cary residents will argue that it's because it's the land of milk and honey or the greatest place to live in the world, but even if we accept that to be true, that should be even more of a reason to give it a rest (see: nobody likes a bragger).

I forget who said it, but to paraphrase, someone once said that you aren't the best if you have to keep telling everyone you are the best...

Cary folks (and yes, I am generalizing here, but that's what it seems all of us at CDF like to do...for the sake of this rant, you know who you are) have their "offended-radar" set to ultra-sensitive at all times and I swear you must have an auto-notify feature for the words "beige", "cookie-cutter", or "boring" that lets you know whenever there is a post you have to refute.

While I have no problem with the continual defense of Cary (lord knows, Durham residents deal with stereotypes too) the patterns smack of over-correction when each Cary slight is met with a chorus of rebuttals plus a new salvo of threads proclaiming how great Cary is.

Anyone who follows City-Data closely knows that the board goes in cycles of peace and unrest, and almost ALWAYS the unrest is the result of the inter-city squabbling. Trace this back (I have) and it almost always comes about as a result of certain folks here deciding all at once that they are going to open up the can of Cary propaganda KNOWING that it's going to stir the pot. There are at least 6 user-names I know that have followed this pattern, so to him I say "you bring this on yourself"

All the Cary booster-ing happens, people get ticked off and sick of it, words are thrown around like hand grenades, and the OP wants to be left alone to his wonderful existence in Cary, yet the whole problem would be a moot point if these

Of course, the problem gets even WORSE when the threads are not only bragging, but LYING and bragging. Witness today's thread proclaiminghttp://"http://www.city-data.com/for...pel-hill-cary/ where the OP has outright LIED in the title about what the article linked states.

This of course comes on the heels of this little gem, Cary rated safest place to live where the SAME original poster has again lied, stating that Cary is the safest place to live when in fact it was ranked as the #15 safest place to live among a particular subset of cities under consideration.

So to those of you who wish to engage in discussion about Cary or anything for that matter, I advise you to NOT fictionalize information if you want to involve yourselves in meaningful discussion, provide valuable information to the readers of City-Data, and/or not turn everyone here against you.

Mods, I believe this thread is on-topic and appropriate for this board. It pertains to a local topic, engages a local subject matter, and the title and beginning of this thread references an ACTUAL event that occurred in the triangle this very morning. Furthermore I have engaged in no personal attacks, no commercial selling, nor have I addressed political or religious topics.

Just some friendly advice to improve the City-Data community and doing my part to provide fair and balanced opinions on the triangle area on behalf of all of my fellow posters who want more for/from this board than to let a few misguided posters with agendas derail the good will that typically prevails on these pages.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:00 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Why are you letting this stuff bother you? They HAVE to post stuff like this. It makes them feel better especially when such preventable and stupid stuff hits the news like this:
'Operation Hello Neighbor' aims to cut down garage and car thefts in Cary :: WRAL.com

I know I shook my head and laughed at the "Cary-ites" when I saw it. The 2nd paragraph really sums it up!

Old 12-29-2008, 12:03 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
Da**, sneezecake. That's quite a rant! No need to get so worked up over crap posted on a public forum. So a couple of people are blathering on about Cary. For every one of those, we have another who gets downright nasty in insulting Cary. Methinks you're taking this too seriously.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:11 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
Just don't read it! There is plenty of town bashing and town defense posts on all sides of the spectrum. Skip the ones regarding Cary if you don't care for them.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:19 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
I think some people are missing Sneezecake's point...

Excellent treatise! I agree 100%.

Look, Cary's fine, move there if y'all want. I don't want to and that's ok.

Maybe those of use who are not registering under multiple usernames could at least make an attempt to preserve some semblance of normalcy on this board and pledge to tell truths about the cities. Normally I also say it's just a message board (I've been posting on the Craigslist forums for years and those are pretty nutso) - but in this case, people really do come here for information about major life decisions. Case in point - a poster with a handle du jour told a potential relocator that Chapel Hill schools will teach a left-leaning curriculum. I don't have kids but I highly doubt it.

I will continue to dispute posts made by a poster when they are clearly untruths. One of those untruths was "cary rated safest place to live." Gimme a break.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:20 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
Just some friendly advice to improve the City-Data community and doing my part to provide fair and balanced opinions on the triangle area on behalf of all of my fellow posters who want more for/from this board than to let a few misguided posters with agendas derail the good will that typically prevails on these pages.
Thank goodness someone with some sense has finally addressed this. Sneezecake, thank you for the constructive rant! I wasn't able to make mine constructive so I held back.

The majority of Cary residents on City Data are GREAT! I can think of so many that I would love to have as a neighbor. But Sneezecake is correct ... one or a few or possibly one disguising as a few, goes over board in Cary's defense while bashing and tearing down everywhere else.

One of the real estate agents who posts on this board (not as much recently) said the great thing about The Triangle is there is somewhere for EVERYone.
She's right.

Everything is relative and we all view the world with our own lense. Some people view Cary as boring beigh, others see it as a Utopia and others see it somewhere in between. For those of us that live in Durham, we don't see it as the crime riddled, educational waste land that some make it out to be. And Chapel Hill isn't all just liberal, hippies and college students. I've seen more Brooks Brothers attire and men in plaid linen golf pants in Chapel Hill than I've seen any where else in this state.

The Triangle is like Shrek The Ogar, it's an Onion.... it has layers. I'm sure there is layer for all of us.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:26 PM

208 posts, read 633,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Just don't read it! There is plenty of town bashing and town defense posts on all sides of the spectrum. Skip the ones regarding Cary if you don't care for them.
Agreed. But these threads providing false information about Cary, when they are really not talking about it exclusively, are getting old.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:21 PM

114 posts, read 373,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post

While I have no problem with the continual defense of Cary (lord knows, Durham residents deal with stereotypes too) the patterns smack of over-correction when each Cary slight is met with a chorus of rebuttals plus a new salvo of threads proclaiming how great Cary is.
As a Cary resident I am going to ....................................agree with you.

I really like Cary but it's not perfect and I think all of the towns and cities around the area have something to offer. I don't like people taking pot-shots at the Cary stereotypes but I also cringe when I see the "Cary is so great because..." post time and time again.

OK, can we focus on something else now like how bad the national economy is?

Old 12-29-2008, 03:06 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,607 times
OK, can we focus on something else now like how bad the national economy is?[/QUOTE]

That "elephant in the room" is wayyyyy tooo scary for most of us.....conjuring up visons of Utter Utopia acts as a buffer for what's really behind that lovely landscaped berm with self propelled water fountain in multi-colored hues swaying in the mid-winter breezes sirening to you to come and sit down and drink in her beauty.....

Whoops, got carried away a bit but you forgot the economy for 10 seconds didn't you

Old 12-29-2008, 03:47 PM

185 posts, read 575,814 times
If you look back to earlier in the year, some of the folks posting the craziest Cary yellow brick road garbage won money from City Data for doing so, in fact since they won their posts have gotten more cringe-worthy. Maybe they do not actually believe what they post, but they know what gets them some ka-chingggggg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary