Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 12:09 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times

Advertisements

I found this article on AOL. Cary rated number 15 for safest places to live. Safest Cities 2008 - WalletPop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 01:05 PM
.-.

157 posts, read 370,983 times
Maybe these cities are so safe cause everyone's bored stiff.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:20 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I found this article on AOL. Cary rated number 15 for safest places to live. Safest Cities 2008 - WalletPop

Yep. Being incredibly safe is only one of many great things about Cary. I feel so fortunate to be able to live here. I lived in SW Durham first and although it was more enjoyable than where I lived up north, it pales in comparison to Cary. I am glad I discovered what Cary is really all about. It has so much more to offer than I ever thought it did. I was blind to Cary's offerings at first, mainly because I listened to what people had to say about it, that never lived there before. But now I know better. Now I know how much more Cary offers than Durham ever could, for someone that has my interests. To have everything that is in Cary and not to have to deal with nearly the crime that existed when I lived in Durham is a double win for my family and me.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:47 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Original Source - http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/CityCrime2008_Rank.pdf

Top 10 Lists - http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/Population_Rankings.pdf

Durham and Winston-Salem are left unranked this year due to incomplete data.

Last edited by mm34b; 12-25-2008 at 02:58 PM..

Old 12-25-2008, 03:35 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,385,873 times
Cary's crime rate is 70.38% below the national average.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:36 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Durham and Winston-Salem are left unranked this year due to incomplete data.

The list is a list of the "safest" cities. Durham is on the other list.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
The list is a list of the "safest" cities. Durham is on the other list.
No, Durham and Winston-Salem do not appear in CQ's 2008-2009 City Crime Rankings report.

NC cities in the current report:

Cary - #15
Raleigh - #173
Fayetteville - #292
High Point - #293
Wilmington - #306
Charlotte - #324
Greensboro - #329

In the previous CQ report, Durham was ranked #276 and Winston-Salem was #307.

Last edited by mm34b; 12-25-2008 at 05:19 PM..

Old 12-25-2008, 05:53 PM
.-.

157 posts, read 370,983 times
Default Cary a city?

I think this is my biggest issue with this and many of these types of "lists". Is Cary a city? For me it's a small town that itself hasn't really grown much maybe revitalized some with sprawling sub divisions around it. Grocery and convenience stores at the major intersections in an almost cookie cutter like pattern repetitive layout. I wonder how many of the residents of Cary have even spent an hour in the town itself? Lots of people work in a city, people travel from all around to work in a city. I'd say 80% of the residents leave Cary to go work elsewhere. "Bedroom community" is a closer than a "city". I don't see how they even compare. If I asked a cetacean biologist what do feel is the most intriguing whale and he replied a minnow, I'd quickly lose an confidence in his knowledge. About the same goes for these folks that produce these list of "city" comparisons.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .-. View Post
I think this is my biggest issue with this and many of these types of "lists". Is Cary a city? For me it's a small town that itself hasn't really grown much maybe revitalized some with sprawling sub divisions around it. Grocery and convenience stores at the major intersections in an almost cookie cutter like pattern repetitive layout. I wonder how many of the residents of Cary have even spent an hour in the town itself? Lots of people work in a city, people travel from all around to work in a city. I'd say 80% of the residents leave Cary to go work elsewhere. "Bedroom community" is a closer than a "city". I don't see how they even compare. If I asked a cetacean biologist what do feel is the most intriguing whale and he replied a minnow, I'd quickly lose an confidence in his knowledge. About the same goes for these folks that produce these list of "city" comparisons.
Explanation by the FBI on use of their crime data:

Each year when Crime in the United States is published, some entities use reported figures to compile rankings of cities and counties. These rough rankings provide no insight into the numerous variables that mold crime in a particular town, city, county, state, or region. Consequently, they lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and their residents.

Valid assessments are possible only with careful study and analysis of the range of unique conditions affecting each local law enforcement jurisdiction. The data user is, therefore, cautioned against comparing statistical data of individual reporting units from cities, metropolitan areas, states, or colleges or universities solely on the basis of their population coverage or student enrollment.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:26 PM

945 posts, read 1,972,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .-. View Post

After reading this, I have no idea what the post was about. I got lost about halfway through. All I can say is that Cary is a town and not a city. It has over 130,000 residents, so it is not small. Many people move here for the safety, when bringing up a family. I feel happier here than anywhere I have ever lived. I do travel to RTP to go to work, but I rarely enter the city of Durham or Raleigh, except for a bite to eat on my lunch hour. I wouldn't want to. There is nothing there for me. If I get lucky, my next job will be in Cary and I will never have to leave. I love it that much. Well, I may leave here and there, just to give myself an appreciation for how much better it is here than in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary