Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:19 AM

103 posts, read 414,258 times

Advertisements

I'm not planning on having kids for another 2 years or so but I do not know much about the costs of childcare and as another poster mentioned, a lot of day cares are not forthcoming with cost information. I know its a long way off but I need to know if I need to plan further out to account for childcare costs. For those of you with kids in 5 day a week all day care, how much is it? Are there any churches that provide this kind of service? Or does it make more sense to quit and stay at home because daycare is so expensive??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 11:34 AM

26 posts, read 80,509 times
My son is almost 6, for before and afterschool care it is $80 per week. During the summer, this goes up to $130 per week. He goes to Cleveland Childcare in Clayton/Garner area. The price increases for infants and younger children.
K

Old 01-12-2009, 11:35 AM

i believe i heard at one point that childcare all day (infant) could be as much as 1500/month...???

Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 AM

746 posts, read 2,246,990 times
the price increase is DRAMATIC for infants - until they are potty trained (about age 3, some younger some older). Something to think about if you are planning to have more than 1 child is an au pair. Regardless of number of children, their number stays the same - and with all costs considered (agcy fee, stipend, car insurance etc.) the net cost to you is about $20k a year. Sounds like a whole lot of money until you look at the yearly cost of daycare. Any care for your child that is bonafide and you can get a tax id number is payable from a dependent care fsa account, into which you can deposit $3500 a year - consider that too (it works identically to medical FSA).

I have chosen to work from home at least in part because I can't stand the thought of a. someone else raising my kids, and b. paying the money to daycare. When you and your so run the numbers, it's a real consideration to keep in mind -- you may not WANT to leave your baby once you meet him/her / them.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:40 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie313 View Post
For those of you with kids in 5 day a week all day care, how much is it?
There is a huge variance in day care costs. Do you want one that is more education/learning oriented with low ratios of certified instructors, or are you looking for something that just provides a place and people and stuff to do? It makes a big difference.

Quote:
Or does it make more sense to quit and stay at home because daycare is so expensive??
This depends entirely on your unique situation? Given the answers to the questions I asked above and how much it'll cost you get what you want, you then have to stack it up against how much money you earn, both personally and as a household.

In short, there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer to your questions. Sorry.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:44 AM

well my husband works from home but isn't actually IN the home most of the day so i don't think i'd be able to just skip the day care aspect but a nanny or something to that effect isn't something i'd thought about.

i agree, i don't think i could stand to go pick up my baby and someone say "oh they smiled for the first time today" or "walked for the first time today" and know that they got to have that and i didn't... but then again i don't know that i'll ever be in the financial position to stay at home. that's why i'm thinking and planning now. some of my job can be done from home but not all of it.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:59 AM

656 posts, read 1,990,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie313 View Post
I'm not planning on having kids for another 2 years or so but I do not know much about the costs of childcare and as another poster mentioned, a lot of day cares are not forthcoming with cost information. I know its a long way off but I need to know if I need to plan further out to account for childcare costs. For those of you with kids in 5 day a week all day care, how much is it? Are there any churches that provide this kind of service? Or does it make more sense to quit and stay at home because daycare is so expensive??

My kids are past the daycare age but I just wanted to send kudos to you for thinking and considering the costs BEFORE you have children!!

Old 01-12-2009, 12:48 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Perhaps buying less stuff will allow you to be home with a baby in the early years of life.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:13 PM

546 posts, read 2,416,801 times
My friend and her husband decided to live on one salary for a year before they started trying to have a baby. The other salary went into a savings account. They got used to living on one salary, built their savings, and made an informed decision about having a baby. I thought it was a great way to go about it. Just food for thought...

Old 01-12-2009, 01:15 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
We're in the process of shopping around for a new daycare. Figure about $1000/mo for a 4 or 5-star facility for an infant, and about $800/month for a pre-schooler that is potty trained. That's full time.

Most will do full-time or part-time for non-infants, but will only do full-time for infants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary