Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:00 AM

16 posts, read 103,491 times

Advertisements

When my hubby and I moved here from MA, we not only sold our house, but also the brunt of our furniture to make the move less expensive. We met with a realtor prior to our move to Wilmington, and had a chance to look at what the real estate market had to offer. We then got a short-term lease (6 months; though some places have 3-month leases) on an apartment and from there had a house built. Neither of us had jobs, though I got one in two months and hubby in three, which we though fast considering we were new in town and in our mid-40s. But, that was 12 years ago, and things here have really boomed, population wise. We just recently moved to the Raleigh area for Wilmington was getting too crowded and expensive for us, and we really love it in the "country" but feel we'll soon become crowded like Wilmington. As for you trying to find a job from where you now are, my guess would be it would be difficult. There are so many people moving to NC that the competition is fierce and I would think "locals" have a better chance, unless you have specific skills that aren't too common and are in demand. I think if you can afford it, your best bet would be to sell your home and establish residence here then try to find work. Not only would you be here for interviews, but it would save you commuting from your present location. I also think in the end it would be more cost effective to do this, and you'd have the equity from your home to fall back on. We moved here a week before Thanksgiving and didn't really have trouble finding work, so if you were to move in the spring or summer, I think you'd fare better. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 09:49 AM

275 posts, read 1,114,898 times
Our original plan was to move to Raleigh, rent a small house & put boxes in the garage until we could find jobs. I agree that in general, companies want locals. I hadn't been working for 3 yrs, home with kids, and we had both been sending resumes to NC for almost a yr with no bites.

Wouldn't you know it, I had a call the day the packers came for a phone interview, and they called the day the truck was loading to say I had a job! A good one too...contracting for the state. After 3 mos, they put me on perm. Miracles do happen! My husband ended up as a contractor with his company in CA.

If we had known about the job, the one thing we would have changed is to buy a house to move straight into...2 moves in 3 months with 2 young children was brutal. Plus, I wouldn't have minded a little more than 2 weeks to get settled. But we weren't pushing our luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary