Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 119,365 times

Advertisements

I just moved here from CA and I sent my car here on a transport. When I received it, my car was making a noise like it was a toy airplane. I took it to the dealer (because I thought the repair would be done under warranty, but it wasn't). Originally, they said that it was the drive shaft. Then they said that a wheel bearing needed replacement. When I went to pick up my car, they said the OTHER front wheel needed a new bearing. All of this totaled $600 (without the other front wheel bearing being replaced).

The sound is still there and I need to find a place to replace the other front wheel bearing. Is there someplace in the Apex or Cary area that is trustworthy and not freakishly expensive?

What would be an adequate price to replace a wheel bearing on a Kia Spectra?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 10:23 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,128 times
We had the same quote for our minivan awhile back. $600-700 was the quote.

We actually called Clayton Auto & Tire in Clayton off of hwy 70 (might be out of your way but worth mentioning) and we got ours down for $300.

Also, check out Murray's Tires. They will give you an even better deal if you bring in your own parts (ie: stop by Autozone, etc for the parts).

Good luck!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:55 AM

226 posts, read 610,103 times
I had the same thing happen on a Jeep. It was about $500 to replace the bearing. Unfortunately, it's not something that can wait. My father-in-law is a mechanic and explained that if the bearing blows out, the wheel could fall off.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:41 AM

170 posts, read 1,014,459 times
I recently price-shopped for some work and used Techniquest on Chatham St, DT Cary. To save a few $$ call ahead to the NAPA directly across the street to purchase your parts & save up to 35%.

It's an ugly green warehouse looking place, I've used them for a few years on tire stuff, just recently had a mechanical job done. Like most shops, they will not under-sell you on recommended services. Oh, they have WiFi available while you wait.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:45 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,159,963 times
Don't bring your own parts.

If you do, the shop will only guarantee their labor. If the part is bad, you will pay labor again, and most of the job is labor.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:29 PM
mzd

419 posts, read 886,787 times
Plainjane - if I understood your post correctly, the dealer charged you $600, and the noise is still there?

You can do this check yourself to see if it's indeed the wheel bearing that's giving you problems: jack up the side of the car with the noise so that the tire can spin freely. Grab the tire at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock and try to rock it. Grab it again at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and try to rock it again. Also try to push the tire in and out. If you detect any play when you do that, the wheel bearing needs to be replaced. It's a fairly simple test. Get your BF/SO/a neighbour to help if you have to, it shouldn't take more than 10 mins for everything.
Wheel bearings in today's cars are all sealed up, so they'd have to be replaced as a unit.

If the noise occurs when you're making a turn, it could be the CV joints ("constant velocity" joints). Usually the damage starts when the rubber boots get torn up and dirt, sand, and water can creep in. If it's the CV joint, you have a little more time to get it fixed.

I'd avoid the dealership you went to. If they can't diagnose the faulty part correctly (drive shaft/wheel bearing), and charge you $600 without fixing the noise, then I have a name for them. It begins with a "c" and rhymes with "rook".

Good luck, and please keep us posted if you can.

Last edited by mzd; 01-15-2009 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 10-02-2009, 01:46 AM

1 posts, read 96,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainjane2005 View Post
I just moved here from CA and I sent my car here on a transport. When I received it, my car was making a noise like it was a toy airplane. I took it to the dealer (because I thought the repair would be done under warranty, but it wasn't). Originally, they said that it was the drive shaft. Then they said that a needed replacement. When I went to pick up my car, they said the OTHER front wheel needed a new bearing. All of this totaled $600 (without the other front being

The sound is still there and I need to find a place to replace the other front wheel bearing. Is there someplace in the Apex or Cary area that is trustworthy and not freakishly expensive?

What would be an adequate price to replace a wheel bearing on a Kia Spectra?
Well, mine cost about $600. And Yeah, I definetly agree that the shop will only guarantee their labor.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:44 AM

37 posts, read 215,510 times
Imperial Auto in Cary does all the work on our cars. They are always lower than the dealer, and get you in and out in pretty good time. I have had two transmissions replaced, and other general maintenance all at great rates. They also have a towing service if your car is broken down, and can get you to their shop. Good luck!

Old 10-05-2009, 12:25 PM

746 posts, read 1,242,513 times
I did it myself on my 70 Chevelle about 10 years ago, took me about an hour. The bearing was $5 and the grease was $3.
But todays front wheel drive is a different scenario but I would be interested to see how many hours labor they billed you for.

I thought those Kia's had a 100K warranty?

Old 12-30-2010, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 80,230 times
bought two front wheel hub n bearing assemblies online n bought disc brake pads for a 2002 chevy blazer(2wd) n replaced all in about three hours for about 200 bucks(garage wanted 360 to replace one assembly n no pad change-i have 155k miles on my car); if u have replaced front disc pads before, it is not much more to replace hub assemblies but make sure that u have the right wrench/socket sizes(18mm on this model although 19mm worked on one side but slipped on the other bcause 19 mm was wrong size)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary