Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 08:14 PM

285 posts, read 836,594 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys

I guess we need to file our first set of taxes soon - first set since we moved from the UK last year! A bit daunting, but...

Does anyone have any recommendations for local companies / accountants in the triangle, who specifically have experience with non-US citizens filing? I've had a look and can see that H&R Block apparently can do this, but I find that local recommendations are often a good way to go. Specifically, any Brits on here that have recommendations - I believe there's something called a "Double Taxation Treaty" with the UK that the accountant should be aware of?

I'm guessing that a private message for a recommendation is the best way to go - would be welcome and appreciated!

On a related note, is there any "ball park" figure as to how much this should cost, or is completely unique based on each persons circumstances?

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 08:08 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,120 times
with the number of people on ex pat assignments in the Triangle I am amazed that there were no responses to this thread - guess everyone was busy playing in the snow or maybe their employers prepare their tax returns for them

Old 01-20-2009, 08:55 PM

134 posts, read 410,670 times
I'm an American but lived abroad for many years. I know how critical it is to have a good tax adviser. And my first year back, I had to find someone who could make sense of my foreign taxes and apply to what I had to file here, as well. Long story short: I would avoid H&R block.

Find a good CPA who owns his own business. You will probably pay 100 dollars more but it will be well worth it. Just go through the yellow pages and have a quick chat with a few in your area. Check on rates, experience with foreigners, etc.

Good luck.

--JC

Old 01-21-2009, 07:20 AM

Thanks - I think I've found someone locally who can help - have been passed his details by a local (American!) colleague - finger's crossed!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:47 AM

39 posts, read 129,743 times
hi my friend,

we had the same problem, when we moved over from Germany 3 years ago. We found a really heplful girl, who did all the taxes for us and everything was perfect. we didn't have to worry about anything. just give me a call or we can hang out a tralli one night a nd i will give you the informations (now, you should know, who i am )

Old 01-21-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemera View Post
hi my friend,

we had the same problem, when we moved over from Germany 3 years ago. We found a really heplful girl, who did all the taxes for us and everything was perfect. we didn't have to worry about anything. just give me a call or we can hang out a tralli one night a nd i will give you the informations (now, you should know, who i am )

Ahh! "Ze Germans" - lol, if you haven't seen the movie "Snatch" by Guy Ritchie - watch it and you'll know what I mean

Old 01-21-2009, 08:01 AM

39 posts, read 129,743 times
i think i know, what you mean....hahaha......

Old 02-11-2009, 09:47 AM

34 posts, read 86,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrant View Post
Thanks - I think I've found someone locally who can help - have been passed his details by a local (American!) colleague - finger's crossed!
Hi, we are in the same position having moved from UK last year. Can you recommend anyone?

Old 02-11-2009, 05:08 PM

Sure -drop me a PM and I'll give you the details. I met with someone today - was not cheap (although this is relative) - but seems to have been great!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:03 AM

321 posts, read 1,577,570 times
Taxes are not that difficult to do on your own. Be aware that, when we moved from England 10 years ago, the tax treaty said you didn't have to pay taxes for the first 3 years. HOWEVER, if you stay for the 4th and beyond you have to start paying taxes AND back taxes for the 3 years so be wary of any advice you receive telling you not to pay taxes. Thankfully, I knew we would be staying so I didn't take that treaty.
We have always done our ourselves, and turbo tax online makes it very easy, even with itemized deductions, misc. income etc. It also does your state taxes.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary