Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2007, 02:51 AM

133 posts, read 711,153 times

Advertisements

What areas would be our best bet? North Raleigh, North Cary or Durham?
We're a young-er (early 30's) Asian couple w/ preschool-aged children. Looking for a nice, friendly, family-oriented neighborhood w/ lots of green and amenities in the $300K-$450K range. Definitely not too rural, and has to be within 25-30 mins of the metro area. I understand (and its been stated many times before on this forum) that I'll have to go and see for myself. That's why we're visiting in a month. But at least if those that have an intimate knowledge of the area could give some suggestions, it could help to narrow things down and make the search easier. We already have some SDs in mind, but maybe there are some we don't know about...

New or Resale?
I'm leaning towards resales (less than 5 years), so that we don't have to deal w/ all the headaches of a new home. Not sure what's included in the price of a new house, probably varies w/ the builder. Here in HI, usually you get the house w/ a bare lot...lots of other things to do to make it "livable." I figure most of the upgrades and landscaping should already be in a resale home. Probably easier to bargain as well...

Buy or Rent first?
Pros and cons to each...this is a tough one for me. Because of the proximity, we can't really do much visiting, so we may be taking a much bigger plunge than most other buyers. Renting for a few months (maybe 3-6 months) may be the prudent thing to do. Get a feel for the place, and really work w/ the realtor and/or builders to get the "right" house.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 04:36 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
What subdivisions are you considering?
By amenities, should I assume you want a community clubhouse, pool, tennis, etc?

Let us know whatsubdivisions appeal and that you are considering, and that will make it easier to give input.
Resale can offer bargains, in established neighborhoods.
You should have no problem finding something in the price range you cite, in a desirable location.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:34 AM

653 posts, read 2,987,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi2nc View Post
What areas would be our best bet? North Raleigh, North Cary or Durham?
We're a young-er (early 30's) Asian couple w/ preschool-aged children. Looking for a nice, friendly, family-oriented neighborhood w/ lots of green and amenities in the $300K-$450K range. Definitely not too rural, and has to be within 25-30 mins of the metro area. I understand (and its been stated many times before on this forum) that I'll have to go and see for myself. That's why we're visiting in a month. But at least if those that have an intimate knowledge of the area could give some suggestions, it could help to narrow things down and make the search easier. We already have some SDs in mind, but maybe there are some we don't know about...

With your price range and commute requirements, you can find several great subdivisions that may work, too many to just start listing them, really. Since you have kids who will be starting school before you know it, you may want to research your schools first, then find neighborhoods that are assigned to those where you are most comfortable.***

Wake County: www.wcpss.net
Durham County: www.dpsnc.net
State test scores: www.ncreportcards.com
Compare schools side by side: www.greatschools.net

***(Search this post for information on Wake County Schools, which would encompass Cary and Raleigh, as well as several other towns. It is generally regarded as an excellent school system, which is experiencing some growing pains. There is the possibility of year round school, which our family actually likes for our first grader, as well as the possibility of reassignment as new schools are built. Durham schools typically have lower test scores, but remember that test scores only tell part of the story and should not be used as your sole deciding factor when selecting a school.)

New or Resale?
I'm leaning towards resales (less than 5 years), so that we don't have to deal w/ all the headaches of a new home. Not sure what's included in the price of a new house, probably varies w/ the builder. Here in HI, usually you get the house w/ a bare lot...lots of other things to do to make it "livable." I figure most of the upgrades and landscaping should already be in a resale home. Probably easier to bargain as well...

I generally would agree with your assessment, especially since you're buying long distance (really long!) and may not be present for inspections and such. Even with resale, make sure you select an agent that you trust to be on top of those details! That said, in your price range, you'd probably be able to include some nice upgrades and landscaping with your home even if you chose new. With respect to bargaining, most builders are not as flexible on the price, but other things may be negotiable - closing costs, upgrades, appliances... With resale, everything is negotiable, but in this area, we typically see resale homes close for about 97-99% of list price, so there's not a huge amount of wiggle room if the house is priced right.

Buy or Rent first?
Pros and cons to each...this is a tough one for me. Because of the proximity, we can't really do much visiting, so we may be taking a much bigger plunge than most other buyers. Renting for a few months (maybe 3-6 months) may be the prudent thing to do. Get a feel for the place, and really work w/ the realtor and/or builders to get the "right" house.

Renting short term may be the best option to put your mind at ease about the decision, especially since you are considering a career change as well. You will not be priced out of the market in a few months (I've had clients worried that if they didn't buy right now, they might not be able to later! That doesn't happen here.) It's tought to find a short term lease on a house, but I have some great options for either furnished or unfurnished apartments or townhomes.

What do you think?
That's what I think!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary