Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:52 AM

300 posts, read 973,137 times

Advertisements

My son was born the last week of December at WakeMed Cary. On the birth certificate, we elected to get a social security card automatically sent to us. According to the SSA website, it should take approximately 7 weeks to arrive, but when I called the Wake County Department of Vital Records, they said it can take 2 to 3 months.

Does anyone have any recent experience with getting a newborn social security card in Wake County? If it doesn't show up this week I need to pay a visit to the SSA office in Raleigh.

Why it takes the government 3 months to generate a 9 digit number is a whole 'nother topic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 12:14 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,465,557 times
My cousin just had a baby at a Wake hospital (can't remember which one) and they told her it would take a minimum of 2 months, and a maximum of 6 months. I'd be interested to know what someone else has experienced, because that seemed a little long to me.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:18 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
This isn't really a "local" topic--should probably take it to a more general City-Data board OR just call the Social Security office directly!

Old 02-17-2009, 12:20 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,193,820 times
My baby was born at the beginning of December (2007) and our number was here in time for us to use on our tax return in April. I'm looking at the envelope it came in and it's postmarked 2/18/08--so about 6 weeks...

Old 02-17-2009, 12:24 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,473 times
Why does it matter? I don't mean to be flippant, but why would you go line up at SS for his card? Does it matter if it's 2 months or 6 months?

Old 02-17-2009, 12:28 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,193,820 times
It makes it easier to claim the baby if you have a number...

Old 02-17-2009, 12:29 PM
VSB

170 posts, read 798,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobirdz27 View Post
According to the SSA website, it should take approximately 7 weeks to arrive, but when I called the Wake County Department of Vital Records, they said it can take 2 to 3 months.

Does anyone have any recent experience with getting a newborn social security card in Wake County? If it doesn't show up this week I need to pay a visit to the SSA office in Raleigh.

Why it takes the government 3 months to generate a 9 digit number is a whole 'nother topic...
1. SSA says the average processing time is 8 weeks for North Carolina. See HERE. If your child was born on Christmas day, for example, you'd have surpassed the 8 week average this Thursday. Don't forget, however, that "average" means that many folks will receive their cards beyond the timeline (it's not a deadline, it's an average).

2. When our daughter was born in Chicago in 2007, the average time was 13 weeks (still is), and it took ~ 13 weeks to receive the card. However, the only thing we needed it for was her 529 account. Is there some other rush?

Old 02-17-2009, 12:29 PM

65 posts, read 266,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobirdz27 View Post
My son was born the last week of December at WakeMed Cary. On the birth certificate, we elected to get a social security card automatically sent to us. According to the SSA website, it should take approximately 7 weeks to arrive, but when I called the Wake County Department of Vital Records, they said it can take 2 to 3 months.

congrats, how was Wake Med Cary? whats the rush on getting the card?

Old 02-17-2009, 12:34 PM

300 posts, read 973,137 times
To respond to previous posts...

This is a local topic because the time it takes to get a card depends on your state, and it's up to Wake County to send the information to the SSA. Therefore, it's a local question because I want to see the average time for this area.

The "rush" is that I want to complete my 2008 taxes and claim him as a deduction and I don't want to bother filling out a 1040X when the card finally arrives (you can't claim a child deduction without an SSN)

The SSA just changed that website this week. As of last week, they reported the average time as 7 weeks.

Thank you dcgrl for the info.

WakeMed Cary was spectacular. Everything we wanted and more.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:34 PM

502 posts, read 1,654,874 times
And it helps with your insurance as you can't use all 9's too long.

If I recall correctly it took about two months for my daughter's card back in 2005. I'm expecting now and would be interested to see if that wait has decreased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary