Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 08:25 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I'm pretty sure you'd have to move it in sections either way. There's no way they could get that whole house one one truck!

...you never seen me load an SUV on a family vacation! I know I could get the house on a single truck with room to spare so I would toss on the car port and a detached shed if it had one!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 07:59 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I'm pretty sure you'd have to move it in sections either way. There's no way they could get that whole house one one truck!
It would definitely be possible to move this house all at once (minus the carport, probably.) I know this, because I actually live in a house in SW Raleigh that's almost exactly the same dimensions, same shape, same square footage, that was built around 1938 and moved to where it currently sits in 1975. Moving a house was probably cheaper back in 1975 though. A house moving company from Wilson did it.

Not sure whether a house from 1938 would have been easier to move than a house from 1981 due to the general quality of construction or something though.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,819 times
Default ok so i won't help you but i will help myself.

ok here is the deal i'm actualy looking for a free house to get and i do know how to move it by myself.

so alls i need from you is the number thats on that sign. that is if your not going to do it yourself.

and i will tell you how to move it yourself if you are going to move it yourself.

the way to move it is like this
first have a property to put it.

second you need a truck trailer and some good tools.

third take yourself your tools your tuck and trailer to the house and starting from the top start to take it apart piece by piece like lego's

as you take stuff off pack it into your trailer and move it to your property.

and once you have the entire house in pieces taken apart.
(make sure to label so you can put it back together)

then measure the foundation and duplicate that on your property and start to put the house back together.

this is not an easy task and it will take some time and hard work to get it done but if your willing and able you can have a nice house built from your own hands sort of.

so thats how you do it on the cheap side. it will cost you more in time then it will in money.

but for someone like me its worth it i've done it twice before and am looking for do it again as soon as i find the right house and so if you don't have any plans to do this yourself i would like to ask for the phone number thats on the sign since it was blured out.

please and thanks you for your time.

Tanner

Old 04-24-2009, 09:20 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermangod View Post
ok here is the deal i'm actualy looking for a free house to get and i do know how to move it by myself.

so alls i need from you is the number thats on that sign. that is if your not going to do it yourself.

and i will tell you how to move it yourself if you are going to move it yourself.

the way to move it is like this
first have a property to put it.

second you need a truck trailer and some good tools.

third take yourself your tools your tuck and trailer to the house and starting from the top start to take it apart piece by piece like lego's

as you take stuff off pack it into your trailer and move it to your property.

and once you have the entire house in pieces taken apart.
(make sure to label so you can put it back together)

then measure the foundation and duplicate that on your property and start to put the house back together.

this is not an easy task and it will take some time and hard work to get it done but if your willing and able you can have a nice house built from your own hands sort of.

so thats how you do it on the cheap side. it will cost you more in time then it will in money.

but for someone like me its worth it i've done it twice before and am looking for do it again as soon as i find the right house and so if you don't have any plans to do this yourself i would like to ask for the phone number thats on the sign since it was blured out.

please and thanks you for your time.

Tanner
Um... don't you need to get permits to move the house. I assume traffic will be interrupted when the house is moved thus might require extra police on duty. Also, don't you need permits to put the house on the new property (not to mention permits for pouring the foundation & putting in uts.)

I've never done this before as you have said. But I have seen a couple of historic houses moved in Portland and it seemed to involve a lot of different city services just for the move.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,502 times
Did ther house ever get moved

Old 08-22-2013, 07:22 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,678,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
I realize that this is an old thread, but they recently moved a larger house on Jenks Road in Cary. About 12 years ago they moved an even larger one about 500yards from where it once stood. I didn't see the move itself but did get to see the steps leading up to the move. Pretty cool!

Old 08-22-2013, 09:04 AM

352 posts, read 551,065 times
Hey guys, we could make this "free" house into the official "City-Data.com Raleigh House".. sort of like a bed & breakfast. :^)
We could house people considering relocating to the area. Someone from city-data could always be on hand to dispense advise and act as a tour guide.

(You know, I meant this as a joke, but.....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary