Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 08:09 AM

57 posts, read 128,372 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone -- I am currently a 51-yr-old widow (since last November) who is planning on moving down to NC from VT to be near my grown daughter in Raleigh. I was looking online at the New Bern area but thinking that just doesn't sound like the place for me. I am now thinking of moving closer to, or to Raleigh (if my daughter approves, that is). I am a certified nursing assistant in a nursing home here with a medical/legal background. What are the job opportunities like in the health care field and how much do rents run. I have a beagle and three kitty cats and would take either a small house or apartment. Thank you for any help you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 08:12 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,736,747 times
New Bern is great...even if there are a bunch of old people here (I am 56) What bothered you about New Bern? Maybe I can help.

lln

Old 03-07-2009, 08:16 AM

Thanks for replying so quickly -- actually through a link from the Raleigh post people were telling someone that the unemployment rate is sky high, crime is high, housing awful, etc. I had posted on New Bern forum but only got a couple replies which didn't really tell me anything.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:14 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
in the health care field you should not have any problems finding employment anywhere but the triangle area is your best best for medical field. And excuse me but why do you need your daughters approval where you live? Maybe I just read that wrong...

Old 03-07-2009, 10:44 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,173,593 times
Too many pets for most apts. Normal limit is 2 but they might say 3 kitties = 1 doggy.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:09 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,736,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berly57 View Post
Thanks for replying so quickly -- actually through a link from the Raleigh post people were telling someone that the unemployment rate is sky high, crime is high, housing awful, etc. I had posted on New Bern forum but only got a couple replies which didn't really tell me anything.
I made the second post in the thread, I think yours was the 8th. The person posting after you indicated that apts were available and that health care was a going business. We have three, female friends, that I can think of, that are in health care. One has moved several times, always getting something better, and she has never seemed stressed. The other is a younger lady with 5 tours in IRAQ. She got a job immediately at a cancer center down here. The third is a wife a marine, and an ex-marine herself. She too has moved around several times. I think health care is a non problem.

We own a house in a historic district. I do not know a lot about apartments, but there are LOTS of historic homes FOR RENT in the historic districts down here. My wife's best friend rents a home. Some are small, some are large (near mansions).

Social. There seem to be a lot of erhhh...mature women in New Bern. Historic, art, theater, garden, all kinds of clubs. We even have some women in our fishing club.

As I have stated very many times. Small town south is not like the north. You will live very near black and white people. THere is not a "side of town" in a small southern town. If you are either black or white, and living near folks that do not look like you, worries you, then New Bern is probably not for you. I happen to be white, and we have three black neighbors living around us. "THEY GOT US SURROUNDED." A non issue.

New Bern does have two large subsidized (or free) housing projects. Do not go there. I do not. There have been shootings and murders in both since we have lived here. There have also been some murders at some local "clubs" If you are in by 2:00 am on Sunday morning, you should be OK, even if you go clubbing.

So, I am sure that on a per capita basis, New Bern's murder rate and crime rate are up there. We are fine here, not something I stress about at all. I would recommend coming down here for a visit, staying at the Sheraton, on the water, eating a meal at The Chelsea (all within 5 blocks) before you write off New Bern.

There are nice and safe places to live in Raleigh. But at the end of the day, you are in ..... (no offense) Raleigh. Could not/would not do it myself.

lln

Old 03-07-2009, 12:25 PM

Thank you all -- no kudzu -- that was a joke (in a way). She's very independent and just not sure how she would feel about me being in the same city. My mind's a little jumbled right now, feeling just a bit insecure so I may be reading too much into what her reaction might be. Again, thanks, all -- this really helps.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:12 AM
SWA

17 posts, read 38,920 times
The triangle is the place to be for medical field...Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill. Lots of medical facilities. Housing should not be an issue, though you may need to make a few phone calls to different apartments for that number of pets. You will find one though. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:31 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,151,623 times
Well, first, my condolences on your loss. It sounds like you have been through a lot of changes in the last couple of months and are still uncertain what to do next.

My dad lives in New Bern. He likes it a lot, but what he likes can pretty much be summed up in two sentences. (1) He loves the water and boating and likes being near the water. (2) It is far less crowded than the Triangle.
If you love the water, go there. If you love people, come here.
(On a side note, he had a heart attack there about 8 years ago, so he feels just fine about the health care at Craven Regional Medical Center.)

There are LOTS of options in the Triangle, and not all of them are that close to Raleigh. You could be a good 45 min to an hour away from your daughter; close enough to see each other but not to run into each other at the grocery store. It really just depends on what you are looking for. As others have said, the animals are going to be a little bit of a challenge in a rental. This forum has a search feature. Search for Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Hillsborough, Pittsboro, Wake Forest. They all could have possibilities. Take it slow and come down and visit and see what you think.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:43 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
With your menagerie you might be happier in a rented house. With this economic mess, I think there would be no shortage of rentals available. I can understand how dear your pets are to you at this particular time of adjustment. And I understand why you don't want to 'crowd' your grown daughter. Been there done that but Raleigh is so big and your haunts would be so different you probably don't have to worry about running into each other. Yet still be close enough to help each other when necessary. My son in law and family moved 25 minutes from us yet we actually saw more of them when they lived 4 states away. Their visits were concentrated in visiting time while we never taske the time to really "visit" living as close as we do. Each family is different.
Good luck---you are young enough to make a wonderful new life here in NC and you will love the people and the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary