Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 10:56 AM

12 posts, read 31,092 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are planning to write an offer this week on a home in the area. We are from Cleveland, with three boys (8, 6 and 2). Husband will fly frequently from RDU and office is near Yonkers and Capital. I am a stay at home mom for now.

Our two top choices are a 6 year old Resale in Heritage (near the golf course) and a new Pulte inventory home in Harmony Glen. The home in Harmony has a finished basement, the home in Heritage has a finished bonus. We see pros and cons to both of these homes and neighborhoods. Any comments, opinions or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 11:42 AM

387 posts, read 1,028,606 times
My problem with Wake Forest (and for me it's a huge problem but other people might think it's no big deal) is access. You have to drive up and down Capital Blvd all the time to go anywhere and that can be a headache.

Harmony Glen is more centrally located within the Triangle and when/if the next leg of 540 is built, you will be nearby.

Is it okay to say this? --> Just wondering if you guys are Asian or Asian American? If you pick Harmony Glen, above 50 percent of your neighbors will be of Asian descent. This is just a statement of fact. I'm not saying it's good or bad. (I would live there. In fact, I think it's probably an indicator of good schools and good long term resale value. Okay, I'm probably digging myself into a deeper hole now.)

What are your pros and cons?

Last edited by Nelson919; 03-09-2009 at 11:52 AM..

Old 03-09-2009, 12:54 PM

12 posts, read 31,092 times
Thanks for the input. Basically you listed our main pros and cons.
I am having a hard time getting over the feeling that Wake Forest is so far out there. However, I tend to stay pretty close to where we live anyhow. Everything is right there, so it's not like I'd have to do a ton of driving unless we were heading into Raleigh. My husband on the other hand says he doesn't mind the commute, since he drives 45 minutes now. I think it will get old pretty fast though.
We are concerned with resale at both. In Heritage there are a TON of homes for sale. We don't know why??? But nevertheless, you'd have a lot more competition (both new construction and resale) than Harmony. But with Harmony you have the proposed 540 coming very close to the back of the development.
We loved the feel of the home/yard/neighbors at the Heritage home, but don't like that you have to pay a small fortune and drive to the pool. Harmony's pool is included and you can easily walk/bike there.
The school ratings are good at both, but they are excellent in Harmony. Again, the kids can walk/ride to school.
There are NO trees and very little privacy in Harmony. There were not nearly as many children out playing when we were there either. There are definitely families there, but it was not as easy to determine ages, etc.
Thanks for the help!

Old 03-09-2009, 01:12 PM

488 posts, read 1,555,070 times
Heritage is a great community especially if you have children. It's VERY social. I don't know that particular neighborhood in Cary but I would be hesitant to buy Pulte.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:54 PM
bdf

29 posts, read 58,485 times
Here is a curve ball -- try Swift Creek (27606) - you are 15 minutes to the airport, going the opposite way to Yonkers and Capital (I drive through town (Avent Ferry, Oberlin, Peace) to Capital and it takes me 15 minutes). Good schools and all the benefits of Cary within 5 minute radius. Plus, nice sized lots and good prices (2 acres for around $400k). Enchanted Woods is a fairly larger neighborhood while something like Oakton is smaller but architecturally more interesting and surrounded by NC State land (no sprawl). Good luck!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:16 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
Both neighborhoods have radon issues, so be sure to test. The houses in both are built fine, but I think you get more for your money in Heritage. Harmony will give you closer access to RDU though.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:06 AM

14 posts, read 23,303 times
I think its a tough choice between the two, because - in my mind opinion - Cary and Wake forest is two very different things.

I understand your needs, because they are very similar to the one we had when we moved here. Location to work, schools, friendly neighbourhood, you being home alone, etc.

You write you have nailed it down to two options. Well, I have to admit, I think there are many other subdivisions, that will fit you better than the two you mentioned.

Why dont you rent for a start and get settled in the area before you decide for buying a home....

Old 03-13-2009, 10:20 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
My personal choice would be Heritage in Wake Forest.

Granted, the commute down Capital is a pain but there are other routes. I live a mile from my office so "I" wouldn't want the commute but if that isn't an issue...Wake Forest has just about anything you could want on a daily basis. It has the shops and the restaurants. I like the small town feel.

If I were that torn between two neighborhoods and the house, itself, didn't sway me, I'd spend time in the community, riding around, speaking to the neighbors to get a FEEL for which one I preferred.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary