Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 03:32 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
Why did you assume it might be murder when the headline was clearly 'an untimely death" ?

Because of the wording of the article prior to the latest update. And I did not say it was a murder, but questioned if it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 03:32 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
If this one murder per year average trend is going to continue, I may need to find another town to live in. If I wanted city type crime, I would have moved to a city.
lol...
yeah try NYC. their 800-2500 murders per year are basically the same as 1 in Cary....

Old 03-16-2009, 05:24 PM

331 posts, read 1,311,364 times
LOL wow this whole post kind of left me speechless. One murder and the whole town of Cary is in an uproar? I know that it is a serious crime but wanting to move because there is one murder per year? Where else will you go? Not sure where you will go where is no crime but good luck with that. And I live in Raleigh where I am sure the crime is much higher but like all the things that are available to me here. I do have to say that there are a few on here who think that Cary is heaven on earth and well....it aint! Just my two cents....

Old 03-16-2009, 06:06 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,547 times
Mayberry's calling your name. You and Barney can keep the streets safe for all of us.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:37 PM

519 posts, read 982,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori1961 View Post
LOL wow this whole post kind of left me speechless. One murder and the whole town of Cary is in an uproar? I know that it is a serious crime but wanting to move because there is one murder per year? Where else will you go? Not sure where you will go where is no crime but good luck with that. And I live in Raleigh where I am sure the crime is much higher but like all the things that are available to me here. I do have to say that there are a few on here who think that Cary is heaven on earth and well....it aint! Just my two cents....
Thank goodness that Charlton Dude didn't live in Biblical times. I would have hated to seen what we would have done after Cain killed his brother.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:40 PM

519 posts, read 982,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootie the Brave View Post
Mayberry's calling your name. You and Barney can keep the streets safe for all of us.
Shhhh. Don't tell Charlton Dude that the statue of Andy and Opie is in Raleigh.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:03 AM

635 posts, read 3,092,838 times
Lightbulb "City Folk" ?

Quote:
No, here is the difference. I live in Cary and I started the thread. We actually talk about our issues, rather than like city folk that pretend they don't have issues or make up excuses for why they do.
I had to comment on this.... "city folk"??

Honestly, not to be argumentative, but I'll point out again that Cary has a population well over 120,000 as of 2006/2007. It may even be approaching 150,000 as of 2009??

So I really don't think that "The Town of Cary" is anything but a City(with a capital "C") anymore While I'm sure there are still plenty of "folk" within Cary that are somewhat suburban, and it is true that Cary doesn't have an "urban core" like a Chicago or Atlanta, Cary long ago graduated from a "town" to a "city".... it's just a suburban sprawl city versus an old-school central urban core model.

And I don't think it is fair to say that Cary somehow is unique in addressing its problems versus big(ger?) cities. Big cities may have a lot of issues, but that is often an issue that maps directly to population. A city of several million is bound to have a very diverse and lengthy shopping list of issues and goals. So every individual issue doesn't necessarily get the same spotlight in the public's attention as in a smaller community, although it may be getting equal attention within the system as anything Cary is addressing. It just depends on the issue and the community, and even some small towns have tremendous issues that don't get the attention they warrant.

I too have lived in Cary, and actually find it to be a very nice place. I think the rap that Cary gets is because many feel that Cary is micro-managed to the point of oppression(which is a personal opinion some embrace) and that there is a lot of hand wringing over issues/problems that other communities wished they even had(such as only 1 murder a year). So for individuals with that opinion, complaints in this vein often fail to engender much sympathy

Al

Old 03-17-2009, 02:47 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger View Post
I too have lived in Cary, and actually find it to be a very nice place. I think the rap that Cary gets is because many feel that Cary is micro-managed to the point of oppression(which is a personal opinion some embrace) and that there is a lot of hand wringing over issues/problems that other communities wished they even had(such as only 1 murder a year). So for individuals with that opinion, complaints in this vein often fail to engender much sympathy

Al
I guess having my only concern be an elevated murder rate up to 1 per year is a nice problem to have. I just don't want anyone to get comfortable with it. That's how things go downhill. Regarding the rap that Cary gets, yes it is more controlled here than other towns/cities, but people blow it way out of proportion. People claim things that are not true. However, I am so glad they do regulate the things they do and obviously so do many other people. It's the reason Cary is the most popular place in the Triangle.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:28 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,514 times
"Cary is the most popular place in the Triangle"

Quote:
but people blow it way out of proportion. People claim things that are not true.
I could not have said it better myself.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:32 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
Quote:
I guess having my only concern be an elevated murder rate up to 1 per year is a nice problem to have. I just don't want anyone to get comfortable with it.
Interesting. I find that most people are uncomfortable with murder, not just Caryites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary