Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2007, 05:28 AM

9 posts, read 25,597 times

Advertisements

Can anyone offer any suggestions about the best areas to see in the Triangle? We tend to like older areas with some character but prefer something safe. Where are the best cultural areas with ethnic restaurants and interesting shopping? My wife is European and tends to prefer the more trendy older areas where people can walk around town.

I've read a lot about the Carrboro/Chapel Hill area on this board so that certainly sounds like an area to check out. Are there any other areas anyone would recommend? Downtown Raleigh? Is there anything else we should definitely see in the area?

Also, which beach would be best to drive to within about 2 1/2 hours. Wrightsville Beach?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 10:17 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,037,211 times
North hills area, there is a shopping center (north hills it is called, and is off of six forks road) it is a new outdoor shopping area (it used to be a mall, they renovated and changed it), lots of nice boutiques, restaurants, etc. There are older well established neighborhoods that would be worth the drive around. Some are houses that have been renovated, others are fixers. I love this area of the triangle.

Inside the beltline (ITB) is also a great area, you can continue on six forks toward downtown and hit some great neighborhoods, raleighrob - moderator on the board - could give you some places to see and things to do in that part of town. ITB is really what raleigh is all about, it has the downtown area, the older homes in the triangle, etc.

I can't think of anything else off of the top of my head, but I am sure others will be able to!

Leigh

Old 03-26-2007, 05:20 AM

9 posts, read 25,597 times
Thank you Leigh

Old 03-26-2007, 07:20 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,409,725 times
Trendy, walkable, etc...
Yeah, I'd suggest the Chapel Hill/Carrboro border area, downtown Raleigh and the west end of downtown Durham. All of those would fit into the type of things you mentioned.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:20 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,319,131 times
Any fun places to take kids (3, 6 years old)? Are there any must see places while visiting Raleigh area?
Thanks.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:29 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,538 times
We have visited with kids same ages as yours, and we enjoyed Adventure Landing (on Capital Bvld.), which is go-karts and putt-putt and a clean arcade type place (laser tag too I think).

My whole family loved Pullen Park, they have a little train ride, paddleboats, antique carosel, two playgrounds, ect...the rides are like $1 so it's inexpensive too. This is located off Western Bvld by NCSU.

Downtown Raleigh has some free museums, we've done the Science museum (kids loved it!) and the History museum (really interesting even for the kids). There is an art one too-all free I believe. I was able to easily park right on the street and feed the meters-it's very safe and clean downtown.

We've not as of yet got over to Durham or Chapel Hill so I can't comment on those.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:38 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,319,131 times
wanderintonc: Thanks so much for the reply. Any suggestions about the Cary area? Thanks..

Old 03-26-2007, 01:51 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,037,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotToMoveOn View Post
wanderintonc: Thanks so much for the reply. Any suggestions about the Cary area? Thanks..
Kids seem to really like going to bond park in cary, which has play areas as well as a lake and walking trails. In southern cary (on asheville ave) there is a new kids playspace called planet kids (I believe). I have heard it is quite nice and entertaining for the kids.

I have taken my kids (5 and 3) to frankie's (which is near brier creek) and it is fine, but can be overwhelming at their age! Lots of loud games, but they do have water bumper cars and some outside things that are fun.

Hopefuly this helps
Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary