Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 03:58 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

No I think we are all pretty much screwed if there's an accident, I misread your post I thought you were talking about radiation around the plant while in normal operations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 04:00 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Correct, no problems during normal operations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
No I think we are all pretty much screwed if there's an accident, I misread your post I thought you were talking about radiation around the plant while in normal operations.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:32 PM

446 posts, read 1,393,976 times
I live every day in total fear of that evil thing blowing up. But I did get a good deal on my house in Fuquay because of its close proximity to the toxic site.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:12 PM

228 posts, read 802,242 times
There is no danger from living near a plant during normal operations of the plant. The radiation which is produced is heavily shielded and insulated. If you put a Geiger counter up to the outside wall of a radiation plant it will read background. Radiation is shielded by lead, concrete, and to some extent air.. It depends on the type of radiation; that used at power plants is high energy gamma radiation.

The nuclear industry is quite safe. It won't be perfect. An accident could still occur. However, the 3 mile island accident is the only one in US history and it was relatively small. The accident that occured in Chernobyl (which was catastrophic) was done by bypassing many (many) safety measures and by using a design which we dont have, where the coolant rods need to be raised up to stop the reaction (ours do the reverse, ensuring if there is a loss of power that the rods will fall by gravity and thus stopping the reaction).

People who are in this industry will say the same thing over and over, nuclear power is quite safe, and is one of the best bets for sustaining energy needs. If you choose not to believe people who study this type of thing, consider, would they put themselves in danger on a daily basis if they didn't absolutely know that the plant was as safe or safer than many other occupations?

I am not a nuclear power expert, but I have some education in the field and my wife is such an expert.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:24 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csto View Post
Hi. We are thinking about moving to NC and visited the Cary area. We really liked it but noticed there is a nuclear power plant very close to it. Any thoughts about the risks associated with this? I read that cancer risks increase even within a 20 mile radius of a plant.
The risk you incur by the process of moving here, i.e., by driving on Third World American roads and bridges among people who should not be behind the wheel, is far, far greater than that incurred by living next to a nuclear power plant.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:43 PM

360 posts, read 995,221 times
Am I correct that there is a risk of problems if a severe drought would occur? I know they use a lot of water for cooling purposes, and if I recall there was talk during the last drought that if it continued it would cause problems.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:46 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
Am I correct that there is a risk of problems if a severe drought would occur? I know they use a lot of water for cooling purposes, and if I recall there was talk during the last drought that if it continued it would cause problems.
I think they would shut off water to people's houses and import water before they'd cut back on the nuclear power plant's needs. At least I hope they would...

Old 03-25-2009, 08:22 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,770,674 times
Nuclear power plants are extremely safe personal health wise. Coal, Oil, Natural Gas, and even at times hydroelectric have a much stronger impact on your personal health (by a gigantic factor at times) then a nuclear will.

Anti-nuclearism in this country is quite sad and extremely misinformed due to accidents in the infancy of nuclear power (name one industry that hasn't had accidents). If we kept up to date with nuclear technology as a whole, instead of patch upgrades, it would be more dangerous to your health breathing next to a candle then living near these plants.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:43 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
Problems in the sense that the plant might have to shutdown, not in the sense that the plant would explode.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:40 AM

65 posts, read 266,856 times
Default Until we find viable alternatives, I chose nuclear

From a health point of view it is much healthier to live near a nuclear power station as opposed to a coal power station. Until we find viable alternatives, I chose nuclear.

If it was so unsafe to live near a nuclear power plant the USA navy would not use such technology to power its aircraft carriers and subs.

A Google shot of New Hill:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary